Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to be morbid but thinking about Silver King dying in the ring and Terry Funk saying multiple times that he wants to go out that way.  I heard Terry hasn't been doing well lately and also heard that he has a booking coming up, not sure when.  Hope nothing happens.  Part of me hopes an athletic commission steps in.

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

Is there much Jose Lothario out there from the 70s? He's consistently one of the best guys on the shows. He actually made me enjoy a Bugsy McGraw match. 

I almost mentioned that I was shocked at how much I enjoy Lothario on the early World Class shows, my only previous exposure to him being HBK's creepy hanger on in Mid 90's WWF.

12 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

I almost mentioned that I was shocked at how much I enjoy Lothario on the early World Class shows, my only previous exposure to him being HBK's creepy hanger on in Mid 90's WWF.

He is so great at taking the 8 minutes he's given and just doing something entertaining. Even tags later in the year are still a lot of fun with him. 

15 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

God, Kerry is such a terrible promo. Kevin isn't any great shakes but he's at least coherent, same with David.

I hear ya. I have Kerry and Kevin in the 1984 writing project currently going on in the Armchair Booking forum, and every time I have to write a promo for them. I just include the words Brothers, God, and Texas and then attempt to formulate sentences around those words while channeling the pothead half wits I used to work with when I managed a Domino's Pizza in my 20's. It's really effective.

There is a set of footage available starting circa 1977 which is about as early as there is for footage en masse (was originally buddy rose's  footage, converted by hoops Johnson, as I recall).After that "The Buddy Rose tapes" continue with a large amount of shows beginning in 1980 that are out there (hoops may have converted these too). There are also compilations from the 80s available from various sources including the dvdvr project which is probably the best of the "best of" Portland stuff. There are also the Verne siebert tapes which are mid and later 80s for the most part covering the latter part of the decade. 

So....from my own memory of what is out there I would go in this order for Portland stuff:

1) hoops 70s set

2) buddy rose 80s 

3) dvdvr project for best of 80s

4) siebert later 80s shows

5) special mention to the bix beta classics which als has some nice quality 80s Portland as I recall.

8 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

Another thing World Class is teaching me is about the long standing feud between Mongolia and England as Chris Adams and The Mongol face each other more times than Kevin Von Erich and Bill Irwin did the year before.

What's with all those fake Mongolians in 70ies and 80ies pro wrestling anyway? It's not as if there was any current or former political conflict to draw heat from nor are Mongolians these mythical characters that create instant interest.

3 minutes ago, Robert S said:

What's with all those fake Mongolians in 70ies and 80ies pro wrestling anyway? It's not as if there was any current or former political conflict to draw heat from nor are Mongolians these mythical characters that create instant interest.

The idea of Ghengis Khan and Mongolia was popular in a lot of pulp novels which bookers in the 70s probably grew up reading. It's exotic and foreign but also kind of legit because it's something a little more random as far as the country selected.

Wrestling Mongolians are a fantastic mix of races. You’ve got Volkoff (Yugoslavian) and Newton Tattrie (French Canadian). Tattrie is later joined by Bill Eadie, from Pennsylvania. Killer Khan was Japanese, while El Mongol in Georgia was a Mexican. 

And yeah, it’s Genghis (and Kubla) Khan coupled with Mongolians not being prevalent enough that Americans know what they’re supposed to look like.