Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I'm actually finding more enjoyment in the WWE Hidden Treasures show. Sure, it's just a WWE version of American Pickers, but it is cool seeing those memorabilia collections, and at least it gives hope that WWE IS working on a physical HOF. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

According to the Macho Man doc, he went to WCW, did a bunch of drugs and dated Gorgeous George. He totally never turned their house show business around  twice with two different Ric Flair feud. He never carried the first half of 1997 with the DDP feud and the period where he was God like over in the Wolfpack before getting injured never happened. Nope. 

At least it was pretty damn honest about his mistreatment of Liz and the ridiculous stuff with the cam in Gorgeous George (and her sister)'s house. Of course WCW was never successful, or only for 5 minutes and only because they stole WWF stars, but you'd expect that.

49 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

I don’t know if there is any episode left but I am done. I will stick with Dark side of the ring. 

I watched the Macho Man one because it was said to be interesting. I probably should have waited for some feedback for this one, but I was curious also to compare it with the Dark Side episode. But yeah, Dark Side is not perfect, but they have really hit several homeruns especially since S2 (Benoit, Pillman, Owen, Snuka, Road Warriors).

48 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I mean, he did legally change his name to Warrior.

Like I said. Cringe. And really, should have been Jim Warrior or something. Can you believe the daughters are named "Warrior" ? How dumb is that ?

Am I the only one who thinks that one hour is the ideal time for a wrestling tv show? I mean, 2 hours is fine (3 hours is ridiculously long), but with one hour it leaves you wanting more and it means you dont see the same stars every week. I've been watching MLW, and they pack a LOT into their one hour program.

32 minutes ago, El-P said:

At least it was pretty damn honest about his mistreatment of Liz and the ridiculous stuff with the cam in Gorgeous George (and her sister)'s house. Of course WCW was never successful, or only for 5 minutes and only because they stole WWF stars, but you'd expect that.

I watched the Macho Man one because it was said to be interesting. I probably should have waited for some feedback for this one, but I was curious also to compare it with the Dark Side episode. But yeah, Dark Side is not perfect, but they have really hit several homeruns especially since S2 (Benoit, Pillman, Owen, Snuka, Road Warriors).

It was honest on his personal life and I have no problem with that. This was the first time that I watched a wwe product since 2003. I am somewhat aware of what they do because of this place and WOR but I have not seen one show of them since I saw a god awful Triple H maint event and said that’s it, I am done.  So this was the first time that I saw first end their WCW wasn’t successful/almost didn’t exist narrative and as a massive WCW fan,  it made me furious....especially since some of my favorites wrestling memories involved Savage and Piper on Nitro. 

2 hours ago, JRH said:

Am I the only one who thinks that one hour is the ideal time for a wrestling tv show? I mean, 2 hours is fine (3 hours is ridiculously long), but with one hour it leaves you wanting more and it means you dont see the same stars every week. I've been watching MLW, and they pack a LOT into their one hour program.

Absolutely. Especially for a weekly show. And 5 or so big shows a year, with a smattering of Clash/SNME style medium sized shows. Basically the ideal wrestling TV formula peaked in the early 90s. One reason I loved NXT from 2015 to 2019 (but really the high water mark was the Philly Takeover) was because they followed that blueprint 

2 hours ago, El-P said:

Like I said. Cringe. And really, should have been Jim Warrior or something. Can you believe the daughters are named "Warrior" ? How dumb is that ?

In principle I agree, but mostly because "Warrior" does not seem to exist in English as a surname, unlike in Spanish ("Guerrero") or in German ("Krieger"), for example. Searching for "Guerrier" also returns a bunch of people on Wikipedia.

25 minutes ago, Robert S said:

Searching for "Guerrier" also returns a bunch of people on Wikipedia.

I chuckled at this as I don't remember hearing of anyone being called Guerrier, but actually it does exist and really sounds funny as hell only in relation to this fucking Warrior deal now ! :D Like you said, it doesn't seem to exist in English, plus we all know it comes from a gimmick wrestling name, and a goofy one to boot (not like Steve Williams changing his name to Austin or Page Falkenberg changing his name to Dallas Page), which is what makes it so cringe for the wife and kids to be called this. But anyway, this is a detail, there's much more cringy stuff in the actual doc.

There was an MLB relief pitcher for the Minnesota Twins named Matt Guerrier in the 2000s so I knew the name, but he's the only example I know of. But he was from the Beverly Brothers' hometown of Shaker Heights, Ohio, not Canada.

"Senshi" does not appear to be a surname in Japanese, just for the record.

If it wasn't a gimmick name, I guess it wouldn't sound awful as its evident as a name in many languages. It's just the connection it has that makes it so outlandish - though that's not much different to a lot of English (first) names. 

I say this coming from a country where a popular name literally means "oh, god, another girl".

2 hours ago, Rah said:

I say this coming from a country where a popular name literally means "oh, god, another girl".

Name please !

BTW, you all know that Eric Bischoff and Triple H basically share the same name, right ? One in German, the other in French. They are both bishops Bischoff comes from Der Bischof / Lévesque comes from L'évêque. Always got a kick out of that one. No idea if they know that themselves (although I heard Eric rightly correct Conrad about French pronunciations before, so he's familiar with the language).

I heard bad things about the WWE A&E documentaries, but I gave the Warrior one a shot to see if they would touch on his most despicable moments and to watch it as a companion piece to the Dark Side Of The Ring episode. 

Yeah... it wasn't great. I was surprised that they even mentioned his 'queering doesn't make the world go round' comments as WWE seems to never want to acknowledge the existence of gay people (remember when they tried to celebrate Darren Young without using the words 'gay' or 'homosexual'?), but I'm with @El-P in that this felt like a puff piece disguised as a non-puff piece. The documentary did make me feel sorry for his daughters, but Jim Hellwig can continue to rot in piss. Are any of the WWE A&E documentaries worth watching?

I'm also kind of surprised how much non-WWE owned material shows up on them. The Savage one had ICW and Memphis footage (likely from Poffo and Lawler's private collections), and the Shawn one had a brief bit of Continental footage. While we're on the topic of the A&E shows, the next episode of the WWE Treasures show is going to have Jake Roberts, which makes me wonder how far back it was recorded (yeah, Jericho was on the Stone Cold podcast, but that's a far cry from having an AEW-signed guy on a WWE TV show).

17 hours ago, El-P said:

Name please !

Ntombifuthi

If you take it through Google Translator it will give you "girl again" but the real context is a lot worse. I feel bad for someone with this name, really.

I don’t know if there is a WWE “CTDWAT” thread in that folder, as it doesn’t really count as a WWE “thing”…well kinda, sorta, but it’s a separate thing than current product discussion.

John Cena is in the “crosshairs” of certain media outlets for apologizing to the Chinese marketplace for misstating Taiwan’s current status.

Tyrus has been on at least one of those outlets defending Cena, pretty much because it was inadvertent, and Cena isn’t one of those constantly showing his political/social bent and exposing hypocritical nature of certain beliefs (ie not going after China for their human rights record when given the opportunity while decrying major issues of the day here in the US).

Anyway, Tyrus claimed that he’ll always be a Cena Guy after Cena allowed him to have 8 or so minutes of air time on WrestleMania by getting in a “bathroom break” before the ME…though that pre-ME segment/match generally IS the bathroom break match.

Thing is, getting on WrestleMania is one thing (FWIW, Tyrus referred to it as a “match”) but I’m not sure if I’m being paid to be an athletic performer, I’d be bragging too much about dancing to your theme song as your lone time in the WrestleMania spotlight!

58 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

First of all, Cena didn't misstate Taiwan's status. Taiwan is a country to everyone except the PRC government, which is probably the most horrific regime on Earth. Second, being defended by a Fox News sex pest probably isn't helping matters.

Yeah, I should have put quotes on that.

It sucks that he had to apologize just for the sake of the Fast & Furious film.  But the point that he isn’t as open to being labeled a massive hypocrite like LeBron James, for example, is as a defense…not the most solid of all defenses, but at the same time, is on brand for the idea of protecting a brand that is trying to be more of a global brand.

Anyway, point of the post was more about using a comedic dance segment that furthered no storyline (even a show only one like Bayley’s 2021 WM segments) or had any sort of reason for being (ie getting jumped from behind setting up an impromptu match there, or the next night on Raw) as a “WrestleMania spotlight appearance”

In the grand scheme of things, probably more of a “best never to speak of this again” moment!

I will be covering this in my next IWE history post, but I found a piece of 8mm footage that excited me so much that I had to share it on social media, and I guess you guys deserve to see it too before I complete the post. Behold, the first native heel turn in puro history. Chati Yokouchi had been wrestling for several years, but only worked his native country for two IWE tours in 1969. On the last match of the first tour, a tag with the Great Kusatsu against Gorgeous George Jr. and Buddy Colt, he betrayed his fellow countryman. As we see, Yokouchi turns by walking away from the FIP Kusatsu's outstretched hand, and then gets disqualified for pulling George by the hair over his shoulder. 

The following tour, Yokouchi would wrestle the native talent in singles and in tags alongside gaijin. Seven years later, Umanosuke Ueda, with whom Yokouchi had tagged extensively during the former's 1968-9 American excursion, returned to Japan with an IWE run apparently influenced by Yokouchi. (As Ueda jumped ship to New Japan he developed a character that puro heels have been cribbing from for decades.)

2105450624_chatiyokouchi(firstnativejapaneseheel).thumb.jpg.9342cd351a37f60b7a458cd9a8b49db8.jpg

It's really astounding how unlikable and terrible Hogan is in late 1995/early 1996. There's all this great stuff with Sting/Lex/Savage and then Hogan is just this supremely whiny asshole always bitching about his friends' success and title opportunities even though he also gets a title shot immediately after a suspension which happened because he flipped out and attacked Giant/Nick Patrick/Doug Dillinger with a chair because Flair/Giant got title shots while being on probation like him. I've never seen another time where the other top faces repeatedly verbally put the actual top super face in his place for being a shithead. 

There's two incidents that particularly stand out:

Hogan basically calls Macho a schemester bullshitter who stole HIS title shot for HIS title that still has HIS name on it, despite being a fucking loser who just lost to Lex for the 4th time. Macho's reaction is more or less "hey we've been through this shit over and over, get fucked, I got the title shot and I'm going to win it" and walks off and Hogan is going "HEY GET BACK HERE, YOU'RE MY FRIEND" like an absolute insane person in context of the shit he just said to his friend.

Then the week Macho DOES win back the title like he said, Hulk immediately comes out celebrating like he won, which Savage directly calls him out for and completely puts him in his place, Hulk basically threatens him again, then YOU'RE MY FRIEND, BROTHER. 

The way this all is going really feels like Hogan is about to turn heel during this period, because there's really no other excuse or explanation for his behavior other than he's about to turn on Savage (and Sting, to some degree) over the title. Although it is in the nature of the Hogan character going back to the start of WWF Hulkamania to be a garbage friend intensely jealous of any of his friend's success who then sabotages them and for some reason the friend is always the heel in the feud that Hogan wins and moves on. But at this point, not only is Hogan immensely unlikable as the character in the storyline with other faces, but most crowds around the country are booing him anyway. Was there talk about turning Hogan around this time that he got cold feet about? He's actually way more heel acting and a real fucko than he was during the Darkside Hogan period shortly before.

Hogan's character was always an unlikable dick to his friends. I started watching the WWF in late 86 during the build to WM3 and felt Andre was completely justified in what he did since Hulk upstaged him the week before when he was finally getting some recognition. All Andre wanted was a title shot and Hulk acted like he killed his parents.