Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are there any actual great matches on All Star Wrestling over the years? From time to time I'll check out something that has two big names but they usually seem to be either real dull studio matches or more of an angle than a match. Like Pedro vs Valentine for the IC title that goes like 4 minutes and then Valentine does a suplex on the floor and Pedro sells with full body convulsions as Martel, Garea, and Putski carry him off.

I have a weird hankering for some pre-Hulkamania era WW(W)F stuff for some reason and none of the Old School arena shows are up yet although I'm sure they're very easy to find online.

Most of the Old School shows were added to the 'Cock in the last couple days, so you can watch those. As far as All Star Wrestling, that show was more squash match/angle advancement than great matches, so the best you're likely to get is if someone decided to let the job guy they were facing get some offense. 

I am watching a Saturday Night episode from 1993 where the main event is supposed to be Flair and Sid v. Vader & Austin, only Sid is immediately attacked when he is coming out and has to be replaced by Arn. Ignoring the ironic analogies between art and real life (with Scissorsgate), these four are having a barn-burner of a match and Arn is going crazy on Austin in the 2nd half of the match and the crowd goes wild and starts chanting..."WE WANT SID!!" 

I know Sid has some fans here, but is there any other wrestler as limited and often downright awful as Sid who would constantly, inexplicably get cheered unexpectedly, or be more over than more established stars? Arn here, Hogan at Royal Rumble 1992, Shawn at Survivor Series 1997, he just somehow would end up in situations where he would be the most over person in the ring

Sid got over huge everywhere he went initially because his look and charisma gave him a larger-than-life aura (he's perhaps the ultimate airport test wrestler). But he'd lose steam rapidly once it became clear that the steak didn't match the sizzle. He would've been a legend in the territory era because he could bounce around as a special attraction and not stay anywhere long enough to wear out his welcome. Also, people mark out for tall guys with good bodies in person far more than they do watching on TV.

I think Sid was actually really pretty solid for the big guy hired just for his look up through 1993 or so and from time to time even into 2000. He definitely needed a good opponent who could work around him, but he could be dragged to decent matches with the right workers and chemistry for most of his career. The worst period being his second WWF run where he appeared to be off the juice and his mullet was at its all time worst. 

I think the key to Sid was he seemed aware he wasn't that good but he was so damn excited to be doing what he was doing you couldn't help but pop for the guy. He would come out all amped up like FUCK YEAH I GET TO WRESTLE and everyone would be like FUCK YEAH ITS SID.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

I think the key to Sid was he seemed aware he wasn't that good but he was so damn excited to be doing what he was doing you couldn't help but pop for the guy. He would come out all amped up like FUCK YEAH I GET TO WRESTLE and everyone would be like FUCK YEAH ITS SID.

Yeah basically. I feel the same way about Mongo, actually. 

There's a group of guys, of which I would include Sid, where the coming out, hitting their finish & going to the back was enough to make me mark out. They didn't need to work a whole match & certainly nothing beyond like a squash. But like Kevin Nash or Sid coming out & hitting the Powerbomb on someone was always entertaining. Or when Austin would come out & Stun everyone. Or when Sting would show up just to hit the Scorpion Death Drop. Those were always the moments that would make me mark out. I'll take a run-in with hitting a finish over a beatdown any day of the week.

So, in the latest GCW event, there was this tag match featuring EFFY and Allie Katch in which Allie straight up used a knife to cut her opponent. I'm not going to post that gruesome shit here, but I do need to say things are getting kinda out of hand, even if the spot was planned and agreed upon ahead of time. 

So apparently Michael Elgin posted a video on YouTube suggesting self harm/suicide, and then complaining that it getting little views are another reason he might do it. Like, I do legit hope he gets some help as he's clearly dealing with some mental issues and those are a bitch sometimes, but also fuck that guy for being such a manipulative shitbag. The stuff listed on the restraining order against him was heinous, and for him to be doing things to make himself the victim when he's finally somewhat dealing with the consequences of being a shitty person is some real emotional abuser garbage.

It's the kind of thing that might have been effective years ago, but in 2021 where you can go on social media and see Allie Katch is generally quite likably goofy in real life, it doesn't work. It feels less like "Allie Katch is a dangerous psycho" and more "Oh, they've worked this silly angle, that kinda puts me off watching it".

Wasn't she working with Mance and Matthew Justice? Mance gets his tongue stapled to doors on the regular, and Justice literally brags about taking chairshots to the head, to the point where he was getting called Mr. CTE. Wouldn't surprise me if whoever took the move suggested it, especially given @NotJayTabb's note above.

13 hours ago, MoS said:

I would be really happy if we never saw any sharp object used as a foreign object in wrestling again, including knives, forks, even thumbtacks. Blunt objects are fine, but something about sharp objects is off-putting to me

Agreed. It’s off putting and it also strains credibility IMO. Perhaps because in order to use it safely you have to apply the weapon in a way you never would in a real situation. I’ll even go back to Sheik’s pencil on that. 

I was at the GCW show on Saturday night and even being a deathmatch enthusiast, I was still taken aback by the knife spot. 

Even with things like light tube log cabins, barbed-wire boards, thumbtacks and the like, there is still an element of "this is pro wrestling bullshit" showcasery to it. I know walking down the street no one is going to attack me with light tubes, I'll never fall into a pit of barbed wire, and in my lifetime I might step on ONE thumbtack by accident. 

Not to mention the level of trust needed for that to only result in surface cuts even as a planned spot (which I would not be surprised at all if Matthew Justice came up with the spot himself). When that went down I turned to the friend I attended the show with and said "me and you have been friends for almost 20 years. I would not trust you to do that to me, and I certainly wouldn't ask you to trust me to do that."

6 hours ago, Al said:

Agreed. It’s off putting and it also strains credibility IMO. Perhaps because in order to use it safely you have to apply the weapon in a way you never would in a real situation. I’ll even go back to Sheik’s pencil on that. 

I felt the same way about Triple H's sledgehammer. Like, if you hit a motherfucker with a damn sledgehammer... it's over. It killed suspension of disbelief. 

Drew McIntyre's sword nowadays too.