Pro Wrestling Only

PWO2K #1: Wrestling In The 2000s - January 2000

Loss

Chad and Charles present the first PWO2K podcast, where we talk about wrestling from January 2000. We start by explaining what the PWO2K project is all about and what our goals are before talking about wrestling all over the world. WWF, WCW, ECW, the indies, Japan, Mexico — if it happened, we likely talked about it. We talk about the best matches of the month and touch on new workers that have surprised us. We also check in on wrestlers that made their names in previous eras and both of us get a chance to weigh in on matches where we had the most disagreement. We hope you’ll check it out.

This link also includes a list of match recommendations where we have placed the matches in four tiers based on our combined opinions. Scroll past the audio link for the list and a full explanation.

http://placetobenation.com/pwo2k-wrestling-in-the-2000s-1-january-2000/

I really want to check this out but I also don't know if I want it to taint my opinion of the stuff I have not seen

Understandable. However, for whatever it's worth, we really don't get into specifics as far as breaking down matches with only a couple of exceptions, and even then, we are speaking more in platitudes for the most part. We try to speak more in themes and overall takeaways for the month, so it might be a safe listen. If you decide to listen before watching everything, let me know and we can give advice accordingly after future shows on that one.

Been pecking away at this throughout the day. About halfway through and I was pleased to hear you guys are so high on Satanico and that I wasn't crazy :)

I plan on jumping in on this project soon. Before this project started up I was in the middle of watching all of the 2000 & 2001 CMLL PPV's and they have been a lot of fun top to bottom with the 03/01 show being one of the best forgotten shows in history. The Satanico run gets better and better. He was elected to the WON HOF in 2001 in large part because he was in the middle of this run. I had him WOTY & Most Outstanding in the 2001 WON Awards at the time and the 2001 Infierno en el Ring MOTY.

I agree with Chad's point about Satanico not being all that great in the mid-late 90s. Its not that he couldn't still go, he just wasn't a featured player and if you're the 4th or 5th guy in a trios, you're not really supposed to stand out in the average match. If you make a concerted effort to just watch him in that time period like I did for GWE, you can still see him adding to matches and doing good stuff. 2000 and especially 2001 saw him come back into prominence in a featured role and he fucking delivered week in and week out.

CMLL TV was a blast in this era. Even the skits were great.

That second skit in particular is one of the most fantastically ridiculous skits ever with Satanico's maniacal laughter and his apparent magical powers.

I hope you guys talk about Satanico vs Tenryu in this era at some point over the course of the project. Tenryu got a lot of love and best in the world talk at the time but Satanico was right there with him. It will make for an interesting comparison going forward to see which legend had the better career renaissance at age 50.

I plan on starting to watch stuff in the next week and this podcast only has me more pumped up. I think you guys have done a really good job talking about the month without spoiling anything so Wahoo's Leg would be fine to listen as soon as he would like without worrying about the matches being hurt when watching later.

Outstanding. One other request -- next month try to have Tier 2 a little smaller. Overwhelming! :)

We could adopt a five-tier approach and go Classic, Great, Very Good, Good, Worth Watching For Other Reasons if you think that would be easier to read.

Ha I appreciate it but its perfectly easy to read -- just need to figure out how to fit and balance everything from here alongside all the other wrestling I try to catch a bit of during the week. First world problems!

This has just finished downloading so will probably make a start on it sometime over the weekend. My current project is working through stuff on the 90s Yearbook's that interests me, but I do hope to chime in with some discussion in the threads at some point. I especially want to have a look at some of the obscurer WCW stuff and MPPW/MCW matches that I've had on DVD for years but never actually got around to watching.

Love, love, love the idea for the show and am enjoying the first episode thus far. After the mighty GWE ended I've been in a bit of a lull in regards to wrestling podcasts (save for currently working through the Lapsed Fan's Starrcade series and some of the PWO/PTBN stuff) but this is a ton of fun. Thanks for the dedication and time and energy. I look forward to more!

Wow. I was at Souled Out 2000 in Cincinnati. Surprised to hear the love for Sid vs. Benoit. Not because I disagree but due to my memory of it beingy foggy and haven't heard it ever discussed with any zeal. I'll definitely need to revisit it. My memories of being there live are mostly of my friends and I laughing at the poor undercard like the "Catch-as-Catch Can" match, Oklahoma vs. Medusa for the Crusierweight title, etc. I randomly put on the first SmackDown of 2000 the other day on the Network. I haven't gotten to the Rikishi vs. Triple H match you guys discussed, but one thing I did notice was how good Jericho looked. I wonder how he'll fare over the years during your project. I feel like he's regarded most strongly for his WCW and to a lesser degree present day character work -- but in-ring in a throwaway tag with the Holly's I was impressed by his speed, physicality, and athleticism.

One last thought on the first episode: not sure how easily it is to find, but if you could get your hands on the TV from HWA out of Cincinnati especially in 2001 I think it'd be a great addition. Your discussion of Steve Bradley made me think about it. I'd forgotten how good he was (and it is a shame he never got called up properly). HWA was my neighborhood indie and when WCW folded HWA was a WWE developmental territory. They sent a lot of the guys they weren't bringing to TV there, sent people that were rehabbing or getting back into ring shape, etc. Some of the guys that were featured I saw weekly and were on the TV: Mysterio, Guerrero, Batista, Charlie Haas, Umaga, Kaz Hayashi, Dave Taylor, Johnny the Bull, Mike Sanders, Shannon Moore, Elix Skipper, Val Venis, Lance Cade, Nigel McGuinness, Mark Jindrak, EZ Money, Lash LeRoux, etc. A real quick Internet search shows it is available at least in some capacity.

Thanks for listening and for the suggestion! We do plan on going through HWA TV and in fact, I have the whole run of TV from when they were a developmental territory. We're looking forward to it. :)

If you need matchlistings for these HWA discs let me know as I already have them and will send them your way.

We do have listings but if there are specific recommendations, that would be great!

It's a long time since I watched any of this, but from what I remember Jamie Noble was the standout (and his stuff with Shannon Moore is what sticks out more than anything). Jodie Fleisch vs Jonny Storm would be something you may be interested in, just to compare it to the other matches they were having against each other on their US tour (such as in CZW, ROH and Corino's PWF). After seeing the match listings for January 2000 there is plenty of stuff in a similar vain to the WCW Saturday Night matches from that period.