Pro Wrestling Only
flyonthewall2983

What Happened When with Tony Schiavone

I dunno, with Nikita *knowing Mandy had cancer when he married her* and Tony presumably knowing that, the attempt at a joke makes even less sense and feels even more fucked up to me.

I dunno, with Nikita *knowing Mandy had cancer when he married her* and Tony presumably knowing that, the attempt at a joke makes even less sense and feels even more fucked up to me.

I mean on Conrad's end. I'm done with Tony.

I did think the Slamboree 1998 show had some interesting backstage talk about the office machinations at the time. A much better episode than the Saturday Night one, which was a nadir show for the podcast, I think.

Yeah, I still enjoy this show, though it's certainly not for everyone and it is kind of show dependent.

I think it's fair to wonder how much this board's favorite The Lapsed Fan has influenced WHW, given the recent crossover (Conrad appearing on their latest ep and announcing they'll be at Starrcast). While Tony and Conrad's humor direction feels natural for the both of them, there's a kind of kinship to the two that hard to overlook (and fits with how JP enjoys Tony's pod more than Bruce's). It's been more noticeable, imo, in particular since WHW ditched the Prichard type format and steered even more into entertainment and jokes while still keeping informative things in there. And I don't know the numbers WHW does, but it does seem like they've pivoted more towards maintaining and monetizing a passionate core audience, which is also in line with TLF.

Query -

I'm a big fan of Slamboree 93 (one of the first tapes I ordered way back when). Do they pay much attention to events onscreen in this episode?

After weeks of lay off, I tried the Nitro episode where Hall made his debut. They spend 15 minutes talking about Patreons and shit. Then 2 minutes into the show, Conrad mentions he owns that pink Flair robe. Ok, I'm out. It was really fun for a while, but I don't find enough material worth listening to at this point.

I gave up on this show awhile back when it first became a shitty watch-along comedy routine, but I was urged to give it another chance by a friend. So I gave the two ECW episodes a listen, and I was actually pleasantly surprised.

There's such joy in Tony's voice at the times you can tell he's genuinely surprised or caught off-guard by something. It's like listening to someone becoming a new fan of something they've just discovered for the first time, and that's awesome.

There are some solid laughs along the way, too.

I still have no real interest in following every week or anything, but I'd be willing to listen to any other ECW shows they cover in the future.

Well, apart from Madusa being cool as hell (singing "Happy birthay Mr. Schiavone", showing how to "ride bitch" and being a good sport despite the fact she really wasn't aware of the content of the show), the Starrcast edition was kind of a mess, honestly. Barb did tell the context of the infamous "Tommy Young !" gimmick. Scott Steiner cut an offensive promo to close the show (calling Trip & Steph "cunts", among other things !). And really, watching Conrad basically bothered more by his phone than the show really made him look like a douchebag to me.

Can't believe I'm even about to say this, but the actual podcast itself has *kind of* turned a corner for me.

I initially found it boring. Then they ditched the original concept & became Mystery Science Theater with unfunny dick jokes & forced laughter. So I tuned out.

But, at the urging of a friend, I checked out the two ECW episodes. Then SummerSlam '89. And now Spring Stampede '99, which honestly had me cracking up at several points.

When they're not trying too hard to be funny, it was great. Conrad has eased up on some of his more annoying tendencies, and Tony is a blast (seemingly without fully realizing it) when he's oblivious & just being himself.

It's still far from a priority, but I'm on board for this podcast again whenever the material is slightly interesting. I wish they'd continue to watch more outside the box type stuff.

Tony relating the Bill Watts pissing off the edge of Turner Towers reminded me of one of my favorite stories from my father:

He grew up in the boonies of 1950s Wisconsin, without even indoor plumbing, so one winter night he and his cousin decided it was too cold to tromp through the snow to pee. They cracked open their bedroom window and peed out it. FFWD to the morning and my Dad's grandma was prepping breakfast, only to  notice the odd tint of the ice on the kitchen window. She put two and two together and whipped their asses. 

--

Tony and Conrad tackle gun control and racism along the way.  Conrad gets worked up over Tony defending the term "Pearl Harbor job" to describe a sneak attack.  The gun control bit comes from talk of Watts packing heat while negotiating with talent. 

I tried to watch a Nitro 00 watchover just for the heck of it. I didn't get past the first match. The main issue being that real-life Conrad Thompson talking about the stupid shit he does with his friends is fucking unbearable. He really comes off like someone I wouldn't want to spend more than 30 seconds of my life. The whole "I own this robe" stuff was obnoxious enough...

Well, I'm glad Tony is announcing MLW, if anything.

I tried listening to some of the recent stuff. The December to Dismember one wasn't too terrible, but yeah. The rest are the dirt worst. Conrad is constantly talking about the silly shit he collects and his friends' dicks. Or balls. Or turd jokes.

Conrad is kind of a 40-year old frat boy with sub-Scott Keith-level opinions about wrestling on this show. It's pretty fucking awful, to be honest. And Tony's occasional quip isn't enough to lift it to a tolerable level for me - not with any regularity, at least.

Oh. I did crack up at Tony randomly gushing some love for his favorite Beastie Boys tracks though. Wasn't expecting that.

Listened to some of the Mean Gene Show.  Have to admit the story of Tony, Jimmy Hart and Gene jamming out to N'SYNC in 1999 on a car ride got a legit LOL from me

I got a kick out of Tony and Gene calling each other "gimmick". This was an excellent tribute show, it's too bad the podcast can't come back to that formula. The audio clips were excellent, the Flair stuff derailed the thing a bit at the end but still, another really cool podcast to honor Mean Gene.