Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

4 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Either way, the buzz that Impact is getting right now is priceless. I was reading by numerous tweets and on Twitch that many people have already purchased Hard to Kill on PPV when they learned of the Kenny Omega & Good Brothers reunion and being in the main event

But TNA sux and KennY omEGA is not a draw at allllll !!!! 

Yeah, it's really, really ironic, in more ways than one. And I mean, I was basically one of the two or three people posting in this thread, I kinda miss the IMPACT social distancing now ! I mean, it has reached the point I need people to use spoiler tags !

3 hours ago, SirEdger said:

No way that Page is done with wrestling. Virtually every major promotion right now has been in contact with him, trying to sign him. He's gonna be a huge get no matter who gets him but I think AEW is the best spot for him.

As opposed to what ? :D I mean, unless they give you real stupid money, what's the incentive to sign with WWE now ? They waste and ruin everyone they get.

But yeah, I really would love to see The North vs Young Bucks and FTR.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

Interesting that they would mention the Bullet Club by name knowing how New Japan feels about Impact. I wonder if that was okayed ahead of time or if Kenny figured he'd worry about smoothing any ruffled feathers later. 

NJPW and IMPACT definitely are already in speaking terms. Chris Bey was booked for the SJCup, announced as an IMPACT guy and actually went to the semi-finals beating Clark Connors, whose a NJPW Young Lion (interestingly enough, Rey Horus from ROH did the job in the first round). So IMPACT has promoted the JCup in the weeks leading up to it.

It has created quite the interesting situation where ROH/CMLL/New Japan work together, Impact works with AEW and AAA,  and if Impact can be the one to bring both sides together it would be like some modern-day 70s NWA shit.  If New Japan is over it's bad feelings with Impact, hopefully they can start to work with AEW more than just having Mox and Jericho on one or two shows.  

Yeah, Dynamite is live tonight. I wonder though if they'll keep Moxley out of Omega's business for a short while though.

As opposed to what ? :D I mean, unless they give you real stupid money, what's the incentive to sign with WWE now ? They waste and ruin everyone they get.

Dirt sheets said that MLW and ROH also reached out to Ethan Page so there are a lot of options for him. AEW is the best option because it gives him maximum exposure while allowing him to possibly work with other promotions. He would be a big get for MLW and ROH but I don't know at the moment if it's the right spot for him. Haven't watched MLW in a while and I'm not sure what the product looks like at this time.

4 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Dirt sheets said that MLW and ROH also reached out to Ethan Page so there are a lot of options for him. AEW is the best option because it gives him maximum exposure while allowing him to possibly work with other promotions. He would be a big get for MLW and ROH but I don't know at the moment if it's the right spot for him. Haven't watched MLW in a while and I'm not sure what the product looks like at this time.

MLW ? Talk about a promotion with zero hype at all. Ditto ROH. As IMPACT is getting some attention from the AEW angle, why would anyone sign with those two nothing happening promotions at this moment ? I'd love Ethan Page in AEW because he's the perfect fit, but I'd love The North better.

If there's any interest from AEW, I have trouble seeing MLW matching them from a monetary perspective, although presumably DBS and Pillman leaving opens up some budget. ROH seems a bit better on money than MLW, but at this point its so cold it's only an option for guys who don't fit elsewhere.

I haven't seen Ethan Page much in recent years, but what I have seen I've been impressed with. 5 or 6 years back when he was on the indies I really enjoyed how he stood out as a guy who got heat and worked the crowd as opposed to being a spot monkey, but I thought he was too sloppy, not athletic enough, and didn't look the part for a major promotion. But from what I've seen recently, he''s gotten in good shape, cleaned up some of his mechanics and really tightened his work up. If there's a most improved wrestler over the past 5 or 6 years its got to be him. 

As for the earlier discussion on PAC, I see him as being the best flippy junior heavyweight opening match guy out there. He's the best in the world in that role, but he's nothing more than that role. To me he's not a main event guy who will draw money for a lot of reasons, size, lack of personality, inability to cut a promo, difficulty putting together long matches, etc. But in that role where he has a 10 minute match to open a show to get the crowd going or is in the match right at the 9 oclock hour to keep people from changing the channel, that's his wheelhouse.  

16 minutes ago, joeg said:

As for the earlier discussion on PAC, I see him as being the best flippy junior heavyweight opening match guy out there. He's the best in the world in that role, but he's nothing more than that role. To me he's not a main event guy who will draw money for a lot of reasons, size, lack of personality, inability to cut a promo, difficulty putting together long matches, etc. But in that role where he has a 10 minute match to open a show to get the crowd going or is in the match right at the 9 oclock hour to keep people from changing the channel, that's his wheelhouse.  

I know I have a rep as the anti-PAC guy here, but I agree with every word of this post. Well, okay, I'm not sure I'd call him "the best" in, well, anything - but he is very good as an opening card flippy cruiserweight-type guy who heats up a crowd and show for ten minutes before the stars come out.

On 12/17/2020 at 12:48 AM, MoS said:

Have to say, the weekly promos from the two Tonys shitting all over Impact are hilarious. "When I told my smart TV to turn to AXS, it asked, "dude, why?" killed me

That and Tony Schiavone : "Coming up after IMPACT, the City Council". The IMPACT diss are glorious.

I'm loving this shit so much. And on the IMPACT front, the Machinegun working solo has quite impressed me in the last two weeks. 

Betting on Hogan & Steelz winning those tag team titles, they are the perfect fit for it. I guess Taya vs Deonna is upcoming, that should be really good too.

2 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I really like how it feels lile everyone on the show has at least some sort of angle or goal they are working towards.

That's really the strenght of their booking, everything has a purpose, from the comedic stuff to the serious main-event stuff to the vignettes, you know everything is going somewhere, the episodic nature of the show is really very well defined and built. Which is why it's so easy to watch.

15 hours ago, El-P said:

That and Tony Schiavone : "Coming up after IMPACT, the City Council". The IMPACT diss are glorious.

I'm loving this shit so much. And on the IMPACT front, the Machinegun working solo has quite impressed me in the last two weeks. 

Betting on Hogan & Steelz winning those tag team titles, they are the perfect fit for it. I guess Taya vs Deonna is upcoming, that should be really good too.

See, at first, I would've thought that they would've given the straps to Rosemary & Taya but Kiera & Tasha isn't a bad option either. Especially if like you said, they're going for Taya Valkyrie as the next contender for Deonna Purrazzo.

....can we talk about how deep the Impact Knockouts division has become in the past year or two? At one point, they were lacking so much depth but man, if they don't have the best women's division right now in North American wrestling, they're very close to it.

2 hours ago, SirEdger said:

....can we talk about how deep the Impact Knockouts division has become in the past year or two? At one point, they were lacking so much depth but man, if they don't have the best women's division right now in North American wrestling, they're very close to it.

The fact they can lose someone like Kylie Ray and not even blink is telling. One thing about their women roster is that it's also so various is shapes, bodies, wrestling styles, characters. There isn't one worker in the bunch you can say is "there" (well, Nevaeh really is kinda there as mini-Havok, and I don't understand why her name is pronounced NevEAh, it's as annoying as some French shit). They are so far above and beyond AEW in that aspect it's not even funny. Plus like it's been said, there's always something to do for everyone so you get legit multiples women angles/feud at the same time, usually including one or two that are major ones on the totem pole. 

6 hours ago, Stiva said:

I had a feeling that Tony Khan wouldn't be able to resist the allure of TV but playing out a McMemphis act on Impact is probably the best way to ease yourself into doing it. 

He invited Impact wrestlers to show up on Dynamite, seems to be setting up a year end angle where they invade the show maybe?

On 12/23/2020 at 9:34 PM, El-P said:

IMPACT wrestler of the year as voted by the fans : Deonna Purrazzo. Super cool (she won best knockouts too of course).

Well deserved - was a real highlight of Impact this year, despite not being there for the first part of it. Really enjoyed her two matches with Jordynne Grace, and then in general with the way she carried herself as a star. Someone that really trusted in her own ability, and is now reaping the rewards. While we ultimately didn't get it, the buildup to the planned match with Kylie Rae was one of the most hyped I was for a single match all year. She also managed to get something watchable out of Su Young, which isn't always easy. Will be interesting if we see her on AEW at all in the next few months given what's going on at the moment.  

Continue to be really intrigued by the Kenny Omega crossover with Impact - the presentation with Callis as his advisor is great, and in my view, reigns in some of the areas where Omega can lose me. Loved the closing angle from a week or so ago with the beatdown with the Good Brothers. I know they came in as faces, but teaming up with Omega in a Bullet Club reprise feels a much better fit for them. Really excited for the 6 man at Hard to Kill, and presumably the matches between Omega vs Swann and then the Good Brothers vs MCMG which should both be great.

Some of the other parts of the show still feel a bit meandering, but when you combine the above with the Eric Young storyline which I think is going well and the stuff with the Knockouts some good things to look forward to in Impact as we go into 2021.   

3 hours ago, TonyPulis'Cap said:

Continue to be really intrigued by the Kenny Omega crossover with Impact - the presentation with Callis as his advisor is great, and in my view, reigns in some of the areas where Omega can lose me. Loved the closing angle from a week or so ago with the beatdown with the Good Brothers. I know they came in as faces, but teaming up with Omega in a Bullet Club reprise feels a much better fit for them. Really excited for the 6 man at Hard to Kill, and presumably the matches between Omega vs Swann and then the Good Brothers vs MCMG which should both be great.

Your comment seems to imply they'd be heels, but I think a Bullet Club reunion would get a lot of cheers if there were a crowd. Would probably be very similar to the old ROH vibe where they were "heels" who clearly had more support than the babyfaces.

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)