Pro Wrestling Only

Great Big Men Working Right Now

Mrzfn

Hello all, long time semi-lurker, first time topic starter, hope it's in the right place.

Earlier today I noticed Meltzer was asked if there are big men like Vader or Bruiser Brody that New Japan could add to their roster. His answer is nobody like that is around right now, except maybe Brock. I suggested WALTER as someone who is at least Vader-esque, and was told he's not like them at all.

Anyway, I started this thread not so much because I thought that was weird, but rather to ask who are your favorite big men working right now, and if you think there are any good enough to step into that role. Besides WALTER, I'm fond of Shuji Ishikawa, Joe Doering, Brody King, and Josh Briggs, and that's not counting guys who are a bit shorter/lighter but look like monsters in today's smaller scene, or big WWE guys for that matter.

The answer to your question is no there aren't many great big men around these days if people are throwing out guys who are the size of an offensive lineman in 2A high school football. Cobb is built a lot like Taz, that doesn't really make him a big man.

Walter (6'5" 310), Keith Lee (6'3" 325), Lesnar (6'3" 295) and Strowman (6'8" 385)  are really the only guys I can think of who have that super heavyweight/ NFL lineman type size and I think are good. There are other big dudes who I think show potential like Brody King (6'4" 285), Authors of Pain (each at 6'4" and 320 or so), Cody Hall (6'9" 275) and Moose (6'5" 310), but I wouldn't consider any of those guys a finished product 

Joe Doring, my dudes. His entire presentation is a throwback to Hansen/Brody, in terms of appearance.

Edit: completely missed him in the OP. Silly me. I think that this generation's big men are more about thickness (Sekimoto, Okabayashi, BODYGAA) than height.

But, all things considered, I'd say Punisher Martinez could be considered a big man, too. There is also Odinson, who's pretty damn huge.

WALTER is great. Easily the best non WWE big guy in wrestling.

I've watched Briggs EVOLVE matches and I honestly don't get him. His matches have been average and as I posted over at DVDVR a little while ago -- he strikes me more as a depressed mid 2000's nu metal head that pulls his beard than a monster big man.

Shuji ishikawa would be 1 for me. other 'Big Guys' Ryota Hama, an ex sumo who uses he vast size and weight really well in BJW. Doering as mentioned above and one who probably doesn't count anywhere other than DG but Big R Shimizu, now he is actually not very tall he is 5'10 and only 230lbs but he is in a promotion full of 5'8 <180lb men so in comparison he is much bigger he works really well as a base for all the jr offense in Dragon gate. So for that promotion he works really well but I don't think it would work in most other places with "proper" heavyweights.

Walter is definitely the right answer to this question, to the point I can't even really think why he's not doing more in Japan right now. Rampage Brown would be another one, but is another one that looks bigger because of the size of his opponents he generally works with in the UK. Dave Mastiff fits into the short but heavy category too, but can definitely go. Haven't see much of him but Jonah Rock seems to be gaining some plaudits too... but, they're few and far between.

Shuji and WALTER are the first two that immediately come to mind not just because of their size, but because both are legitimately top 10 in the world right now if not higher. Also love Joe Doering and Braun. And in the "not exactly tall but really big" category, Kazusada Higuchi, Yuji Hino, and Manabu Soya are good from the little I've seen.

1 hour ago, SomethingSavage said:

Mil Muertes isn't as sexy an answer as some of the usual darlings, but dude's been at peak beast form in so many of his showings over the last 4 years. He'd rank right near the top of my list for sheer presence and the way he carries himself in chaotic brawls.

Can't believe I forgot about Mil. Co-sign.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, SpecialK said:

My overriding thought while watching the recent WALTER vs. Devlin match was that it was like a 2018 version of Vader vs. Sting.

Thank you!! I'm still a bit mystified at the idea that WALTER is nothing like Vader. Very reminiscent to me.

I'm definitely all about the "big" guys who aren't actually big but seem big because of where they work or because of their aura, like Mil and a couple of the DG guys, with the former Cyber Kong being another favorite example.

Ryota Hama is also a great shout, very fun guy!

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, Edwin said:

Mil Muertes is considered a big man in 2018?

If so, then Kenny Omega should be considered a big man, too as they are almost the same height...

Mil works like a murderous monster/giant. Not like Seth Rollins trying out for the crossfit games.

It's perception. Dude carries himself like a killer and presses forward like a force of nature.

It's perception. That's why people don't perceive Billy Gunn as Hogan-sized. It's why people are mentioning Cobb as a big man, despite the fact that he's Taz-sized. All perception.

Give me Mil over these legitimate big men who are so eager to please & to keep up that they do silly shit and actively work themselves down to appear smaller.