Pro Wrestling Only

The Pro Wrestling Only DVD Club

Okay, so we've talked about doing Best Match Ever polls and that sort of thing here in the past, and it's fallen by the wayside because it's such a massive undertaking and doing it properly is nearly impossible. It would also take years. So I want to propose something a little more simple:

The Pro Wrestling Only DVD Club

The way it would work is that for maybe $5.00 a month (or thereabouts), you'd receive a 4-hour DVD every month of various matches, big angles, memorable interviews, etc from random time periods and promotions that I'd put together. I'm in the process of condensing my DVD collection in preparation for buying a home and I'm coming across a lot of great stuff that I do think a lot of people would enjoy if they saw it. The incentive for me is that it would hopefully increase activity here at the board, and also that it's fun to talk about this stuff sometimes.

It would start probably around mid-July. The next two months or so are going to be incredibly hectic for me. I close on my new house in two weeks and then will be doing home improvement stuff that will be taking a lot of my time. Once I'm moved in and unpacked, I will have the time to devote to this.

If you think this is a good idea and something you'd participate in regularly, please post in this thread. Even if to start there are only 3 or 4 people who are really into the idea, that's 3 or 4 people saying something fairly regularly about what they're watching, which is a good start and may motivate other people to get involved.

I'm not motivated by profiting off of this at all, so if I did this for 2-3 months and no one posted anything about what they were watching, I'd probably drop the idea. The whole point is to get some good activity going here, and to make it accessible for as many people as possible.

Also: talking MOTYCs for various years is something I enjoy, but there's a lot more to wrestling than that. So this isn't going to be an obscure compilation you receive every month of random Toshiaki Kawada matches (although there will be some). It will feature some matches that are interesting for historical reasons or for other reasons than that they're necessarily among the best ever. The whole point is variety and exposure to as many styles and eras as possible for people who may aren't familiar with the stuff. Think combination of nostalgia, great stuff that holds up and good trivia. I'll probably shy away from doing a lot of really modern stuff (2000-present) because most people who are interested pick it all up anyway, but there will definitely be exceptions to that from time to time.

Sounds great. Especially if you put Steamboat/Youngblood vs Slaughter/Kernodle 3/83 on the first DVD : D

Will do.

Lol, this is the match I want to see too. That and Bad News/Johnny Smith vs Takada/Maeada. Also the 2 matches Haku and Shane Douglas had during Douglas' first WWF run.

Patience, patience.

:)

We'll play this as we go. I'm still trying to figure out what would be best to put on the first disc, but I think I've got it. I just want to make sure it will all fit before saying what it is. I also like the element of surprise here and want to avoid pre-judging as much as possible, so I may not announce the match lists until I'm ready to ship them out. That will require a little faith in me to make wise choices, but hopefully that's not asking the world.

Maybe we'll do something where a special request can be made for each disc. Steamboat/Youngblood against Slaughter/Kernodle seems to be something at least two of you are interested in seeing, so I think that's a good first request.

I would be up for this, especially with Loss running it, since I can tell by his taste in wrestling there'll be some real hidden gems and not the sometimes cookie cutter match lineup that tends to pop up in these sort of things.

I'm also million billion percent in favor of the aspect of including angles. Especially since WWE 24/7 is building up to the Flair-Kerry cage match which was the kickoff for arguably the best territorial angle ever.

I'll try but I can't promise. You'll probably see flurries from me where I comment on everything I see for a few months at a time followed by a few months where I comment on a few items here and there. This will be competing with 24/7, my weekly Mid-South project and my steady stream of puro and lucha purchases. I will watch everything I get though.

The response to this has been greater than I expected.

Based on that, I feel that this may do best if I try to get the first disc out quickly, so people don't forget about it or stop frequenting the board. I want to do monthly discs in the future, but time isn't going to permit it at first. Still, I think the best option is to get a disc out now rather than waiting, even if it means it takes longer for me to do the second one.

So ...

I'm closing this thread. I will open a new thread next time we do this so people that didn't participate the first month can do so the second month if they want. In the meantime, everyone who posted here, please PM me the following:

Your name

Your address

Your e-mail address

I will then send everyone an e-mail with instructions on where to send payment, how to send, etc.

I'll probably set up a special e-mail box for this in the future.

I hope to have the disc done maybe over the Memorial Day holiday. I can't promise that, because I will be doing some traveling, but I should be back early enough that I'll have time to do it. Once I have everyone's personal information and payment, I will send out all the discs at the same time. If all goes well, maybe that can happen within the next two weeks.

I'm also going to set up a new folder just for the DVD Club.

Thanks to everyone who responded.