goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, The Man in Blak said:

You spent multiple pages of that thread telling everybody that Brawl Out was a work because nobody took a cellphone video - still stand by that?

You've completely changed the subject rather than say "I woz wrong" privately? ;)

Yes, it still baffles me - no security footage either. But hey, I'm baffled that perfectionist and renowned details man Bret Hart went to the ring in Montreal with "Davey and Anvil for the schmozz" as the only details of the finish.

ROH is heading back to Universal Studios to tape another month of TV. That will be SO much better if Tony Khan does it the way he did the first set of ROH on Honor Club tapings. This forces him to plan ahead and book everything out in advance, the show will look much more aesthetically unique, ROH exclusive and not just like AEW Dark, and when it comes to talent hopefully he will do what he did last time. Namely, bring in a bunch of talent for both nights of tapings, a healthy mix of ROH Legacy talent, young, less experienced AEW talent and new names or guys from NJPW Strong. These last few weeks that he has been taping ROH before Dynamite felt like he is just randomly grabbing guys who happened to be standing around backstage.

5 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

ROH is heading back to Universal Studios to tape another month of TV. That will be SO much better if Tony Khan does it the way he did the first set of ROH on Honor Club tapings. This forces him to plan ahead and book everything out in advance, the show will look much more aesthetically unique, ROH exclusive and not just like AEW Dark, and when it comes to talent hopefully he will do what he did last time. Namely, bring in a bunch of talent for both nights of tapings, a healthy mix of ROH Legacy talent, young, less experienced AEW talent and new names or guys from NJPW Strong. These last few weeks that he has been taping ROH before Dynamite felt like he is just randomly grabbing guys who happened to be standing around backstage.

I’ve enjoyed the shows, but I enjoyed the first four episodes more. Bring on the tapings.

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’ve enjoyed the shows, but I enjoyed the first four episodes more. Bring on the tapings.

Exactly. I am super pumped about this. Judging by the fan reaction to the tweet announcing these tapings, I am not alone either. The general feeling seems to be the last few weeks of ROH on Honor Club have been okay…but the first month was better.

IMG_2235.jpeg

I feel like the Triple B is a wasted custom title. It doesn't really draw any heat and it's hard to see the strap design under MJF's scarf when it's around his waist. Even when visible it just looks brown from a distance. Not sure how else they could've done it to make it more obnoxious, but the design could've had a more distinct look. Maybe replace the letters AEW with MJF on the front plate.   

Edit: I realized Jake Paul did the belt gimmick better with his "500k" title:

0_Jake-Paul-with-his-belt.jpg

Danhausen was on the Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs on Shudder last night. It’s cool to see a lot of crossover between wrestling/horror fans online. A lot of them watched WCW and Monstervision on TNT back in the day, me included. While Danhausen is injured he’s still valuable outside of the ring making appearances like this. Hopefully he stays a regular on tv. 

Quite honestly, who the fuck cares? He’s under contract to AEW, not to mention that he’d never go back to work there in a million years. Plus I really don’t think Tony Khan gives a shit if a guy who isn’t even active on his roster right now goes to visit his friends when they’re in his hometown. TK doesn’t strike me as being that insecure or paranoid. (Unlike Vince, if positions were reversed.)

Hell, at this point Punk probably has more friends in the WWE locker room than he does in AEW.

24 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Quite honestly, who the fuck cares? He’s under contract to AEW, not to mention that he’d never go back to work there in a million years. Plus I really don’t think Tony Khan gives a shit if a guy who isn’t even active on his roster right now goes to visit his friends when they’re in his hometown. TK doesn’t strike me as being that insecure or paranoid. (Unlike Vince, if positions were reversed.)

Hell, at this point Punk probably has more friends in the WWE locker room than he does in AEW.

Agree, I don't care it's clear that he won't work for WWE ever again so all the noise and speculations are pointless.

4 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

TK doesn’t strike me as being that insecure or paranoid. (Unlike Vince, if positions were reversed.)

You think Tony “When I compared myself to Jim Crockett Promotions this weekend I think I got a little taste of what Jim Crockett felt but I have a lot more fucking money than Jim Crockett did and I’m serious, I’m not going to sit back and take this shit.” isn't insecure and paranoid?

The guy who wrote this "An independent study has confirmed that much of the staunch anti-AEW online community aren’t real individuals, it’s a staff running thousands of accounts + an army of bots to signal boost them. Look closely, these aren’t real people. Who’d pay for such a *wildly* expensive thing?" isn't paranoid?

The guy who said this "I only know what people have come to me and alleged. But, I do know it's a real war between AEW and WWE..." isn't insecure and paranoid?

1 hour ago, Dav'oh said:

Paranoia is divorced from reality. What’s unrealistic - as opposed to exaggerated - about those quotes?

Can you disprove anything he said, while we’re here?

I'm still waiting for that report on the bots.

Onus of proof and all that jazz.

To me the funniest part of the story is that Punk would go visit the company he felt tried to kill him when it's in theory being run by the man he famously doesn't like. Yeah you can say he was visiting friends but it felt like poking the hornet's nest with a stick, the fuck you think was gonna happen?

3 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Paranoia is divorced from reality. What’s unrealistic - as opposed to exaggerated - about those quotes?

Can you disprove anything he said, while we’re here?

1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

I'm still waiting for that report on the bots.

Onus of proof and all that jazz.

Exactly. Tony is the one acting like he's a conspiracy victim by making vague accusations without providing any proof.

Hmm, that sounds familiar...

EyAueI8WgAM2bwb.png.97751e22533e11ac9274005b991a2eb8.png

On 4/25/2023 at 2:53 AM, Dav'oh said:

None of it matters a whit, of course.

The accusations are a rallying cry to wrestling fans with an anti-WWE bias; a call-to-action to support the victimized underdog. It feeds into unhealthy tribalism.

Tony Khan is making accusations without backing up his claims. He is either unable to prove the accusations are true or they are false. Making false claims makes it harder for people to believe it when real misdeeds occur.

In some circumstances of false accusation, the accuser doesn’t want to deal with the ramifications of their actions and is motivated by self-preservation hinged on fear. In other circumstances, the accuser is merely a narcissistic, compulsive liar, and their narcissism stems from a mental disorder.

A clinical diagnosis would be required to accurately determine whether Tony does indeed suffer from paranoia and insecurity. My own amateur opinion, based on nothing but observation of his behavior, is that Tony suffers from borderline personality disorder. Sufferers of BPD tend to do whatever they can to avoid any form of perceived abandonment or rejection. These feelings can trigger intense anger and lead to impulsive and self-harming behavior. 

People with insecurity often want to appear secure, and their explicit comments may be at odds with their automatic responses to certain stimuli. Deliberate self-misrepresentation or false behavior/information on social media, poor decision-making skills and limited ability to choose quickly can also be a sign of social anxiety.

Tony Khan is no doubt aware of that there is a perception that everything he has is because of his father, rather than being something he earned on his own; AEW is his chance to prove himself. If AEW fails it would confirm that all those people who said he was nothing without his dad were right. It's resulted in paranoid thoughts and outbursts.

Having grown up in the smark bubble, he created a workrate and highspot based promotion with nods to the past designed appeal to that audience. His ego was propped up by the likes of Chris Jericho and Dave Meltzer's readers to the point that he thought AEW was a legitimate rival to WWE in the same way WCW was to WWF during the Monday Night Wars.

His ego has taken some blows in the last few months—criticism of his booking, dropping tv viewership and attendance numbers, the purchase of ROH and subsequent struggle to get the revived promotion back off the ground, Brawl Out, Nick Khan referring to him as "the kid," etc.... He has shown an inability to make quick decisions or pivot when obstacles get in the way of his long term booking plans. To alleviate those negative feelings about himself, he's lashing out and looking for scapegoats (e.g., criticism of AEW coming from bots). He knows he's equally guilty of contract tampering (Jeff Hardy, Adam Cole, Pat Buck) and because that doesn't fit with his self-image, he is shifting the focus away from his actions.

He has started grasping at straws to convince himself that he is capable and hasn't been rejected, like saying cagematch ratings are an indication that what AEW is doing is resonating with fans and booking an event in a stadium with a capacity to hold 70,000 more people than AEW has ever drawn.

Impulsive thoughts and actions can lead to self-harming actions like inappropriate spending (195 wrestlers on the active roster), and substance abuse (rumors of Tony's drug use are rampant on the internet). According to Psychiatric Times, 50 to 70 percent of individuals diagnosed with borderline personality disorder also suffer from a substance abuse disorder. Chronic stimulant use can produce a paranoid psychosis that is similar to acute paranoid schizophrenia.

I'm not passing judging on Tony for any mental health issues he may suffer from. I wish him and AEW all the best.

And yes, WWE does have a history of using dirty tricks, and it would not be a surprise if some of the accusations are true. Without proof, they are just claims. 

“When I compared myself to Jim Crockett Promotions this weekend I think I got a little taste of what Jim Crockett felt but I have a lot more fucking money than Jim Crockett did and I’m serious, I’m not going to sit back and take this shit.”

"I only know what people have come to me and alleged. But, I do know it's a real war between AEW and WWE..."