Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Fight For The Fallen

goodhelmet

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed bag show. Allie-Brandi and Britt/Riho-Bea/Nakajima were very bad. Dark Order is a good tag team but not over. Page-Sabian was OK but way too long. And the camera cuts are still too choppy.

But the six-man tag, the triple-threat tag, and Lucha Bros-SCU were very fun spotfests. The Aja-Awesome staredown was fire. Really enjoyed Kenny-CIMA and the ME. I even liked the Jericho-Page brawl. Only their third major show so they still have time to work out the kinks and I expect All Out to be much better. But there's still work to be done.

One thing no one has mentioned is that the B/R Live feed was rock solid all night. Only a very minor dip in quality for me during the Jericho speech - barely noticeable - and of course the weird gibberish subtitle glitch for a few minutes during the pre-show. 

2 minutes ago, C.S. said:

One thing no one has mentioned is that the B/R Live feed was rock solid all night. Only a very minor dip in quality for me during the Jericho speech - barely noticeable - and of course the weird gibberish subtitle glitch for a few minutes during the pre-show. 

Were there issues with Fyter Fest? I don't recall.

21 minutes ago, C.S. said:

But... WTF is Kenny Omega babbling about?

I think he needed time to figure out how to work around the fact that their charity show for victims of gun violence might end with a catchphrase that is essentially him firing a shot at the crowd. He played it off horribly because Omega can't just be cool outside of New Japan.

Nothing earth shattering on this show but everything other than Brandi-Allie was at least watchable. The six man tag was a spot fest but the did a good job planting some seeds for future rivalries between the six. It seems like they are getting Darby Allin over despite being over shadowed by the Spears attack of Rhodes. Luchasauras and Jungle Boy are an intriguing act, hopefully they figure prominently in to the tag title tournament. 

The last four matches were all solid to very good. Using competitive matches against Omega and Page as a way to establish CIMA and Sabian worked well in my opinion. Up and down the card they have done a good job of planting seeds to future rivalries and angles. They have piqued my interest for the TV show.

The main event was good but flat due to the length of the match and the show in general. In my opinion, five hours is too long for a pro wrestling show. Anything between two and four hours is acceptable with three hours being the sweet spot. Also, the length of the match seemed unnecessary. Everything up to and including the arm work segment was great but the match seemed to come unhinged after the 'hot' tag. 

The post match stuff came off very WCW to me. First, whatever the Young Bucks were trying to get across was cut off then Omega was on the mic rambling apparently thinking they were off the air.

Jericho's promo was easily the low point for me. He said something to the effect of 'If I win at All Out that would be just another win for me". Yikes! That isn't how you want your first ever title match to be promoted. 

Overall, an entertaining show and I really like the direction this company is heading in. I would put it slightly ahead of Fytre Fest. 

7 minutes ago, Steve T said:

Jericho's promo was easily the low point for me. He said something to the effect of 'If I win at All Out that would be just another win for me". Yikes! That isn't how you want your first ever title match to be promoted.  

Yeah, awful.

If I were Tony Khan, I'd call an audible, pull him out of the match, and put Mox in.

If they're not making Hangman the first champion (and I'm divided on whether that would be the right decision), Mox is easily a better choice than Jericho. 

13 hours ago, C.S. said:

Not for me. Kept freezing throughout the night. My connection isn't great so that is more to blame for it than anything but the other services aren't that bad with the same connection. 

Just finished this one.  I thought it was better than FyterFest, mostly because I really liked the main event and thought the 6-man and Omega matches were good, though definitely not great.

Definitely some down moments.  The women's division continues to be quite terrible.  Hopefully Kylie Rae can help to turn it around in her hometown, because she is easily the best they have.

I thought SCU was also really bad, but I think I've also possibly hit my saturation point with the Lucha Bros.  This thing gave spotfests a bad name.

Jericho certainly should win at All Out, IMO.  Hangman feels like when WWE tries to heat up a midcarder for a one-off PPV match much more than he feels like a long-term Top Guy at this point.  Awful promo aside, Jericho just has more to offer.

Also, I'm probably going to cry if I get to see Dustin tear the house down in Chicago.  I'm an unabashed mark for him so I just hope he's working the show.  He has so much left to give.  I'd love to see him vs Darby or one of the other younger guys in the opener.  This was my favorite Bucks match in a long, long time (probably Wrestle Kingdom in 2018?).

All-in-all, still very optimistic about where they are headed.

17 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

I am not arguing this at all. The gimmick has to go. In the ring, they were rock solid and i look forward to watching them wrestle again. 

Dark Order- especially Numero Uno- really knew how to cut-off Jungle Boy's shine. He did his job to perfection as a heel, i.e. as a fan I hated him.

The gimmick itself is satire and/or nostalgia- and over everyone's head. 

We shall see if AEW gets away from the meta commentary, obscure references, and memes once TNT starts or if they see The Dark Order as an example of a basic wrestling formula as seen on older wrestling TV shows and local indy events. Evil masked wrestlers have been a trope since the beginning of wrestling, and just because WWE has conditioned fans to see it as low-rent rasslin', there ought to be a place for The Dark Order IMHO.

Is there a specific reason they're not just being the Super Smash Bros. here? I feel like it's a more marketable act & gimmick all around. It's light and fun, but that's sort of the point.

I don't know. This Dark Order stuff feels very hokey and generic. It's very Ministry of Darkness to me.

I'd definitely prefer them to be a RockNES style babyface team, with neat names for their movez & all that noise. I'm sure it would benefit them to have actual merchandise to sell, too.

17 minutes ago, Slasher said:

I'd assume the fact Super Smash Bros is trademarked by Nintendo.

It's indeed because of the Nintendo trademark that AEW changed their tag name. Given they're gonna be on national TV in October, a lawsuit from Nintendo isn't how you wanna start things off.

3 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Jericho certainly should win at All Out, IMO.  Hangman feels like when WWE tries to heat up a midcarder for a one-off PPV match much more than he feels like a long-term Top Guy at this point.  

Agreed. I like Page, he's got a good look, and he has his moments in the ring. But he still doesn't have the star power I think would be necessary for an inaugural champion. I personally would've gone with Moxley but considering where we are, Jericho is still a good pick due to his name recognition and the fact that he can still get things done in the ring. Definitely not who I'd build the promotion around long-term, but a good pick heading into TV.