Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 08/26 - 09/01 Insulting a president's wife in order to score points with your shrinking fanbase

KawadaSmile

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.thewrap.com/sasha-banks-return-wwe-raw-vs-natalya-exclusive-video/

Sasha Banks is finally returning to the WWE wrestling ring on Monday’s “Raw” in a match with Natalya, WWE has confirmed to TheWrap. Before the bell rings for that faceoff, the Boss will open tonight’s show with a heel promo, a person with knowledge of the current script plans tells TheWrap exclusively.

This week’s script intends to walk the WWE Universe through Banks’ turn from a babyface to a bad guy.

At the time this story was published, it was undecided how “real” Banks’ promo and the explanation for her heel turn would get.

“Last week’s promo by Sasha was designed to establish her character’s villainous take on all situations,” one key “Raw” writer, who requested their name be withheld from this story, told us. “This week’s is designed to get into the backstory, why she’s turned heel, the motivation behind the change in her persona.”

Both an official WWE Twitter account and the wwe.com Raw preview are promoting an article from a dirtsheet about how the fictional character portrayed by Mercedes Kaestner-Varnado is being scripted to explain her motivations. Gee, I hope Mercedes doesn't refuse to follow the script. Also, how is Natalya cleared to wrestle? Wasn't her arm in a sling last week?

1 minute ago, KawadaSmile said:

As much as some consider the KOTR an inferior G1, so far this years tournament has been really damn good. At least 3 very good matches and 1 which at the very least was used to enhance a storyline.

I assume you're referring to that post in the other thread.

Like it's a fucking crime for people to look forward to a beloved WWE institution with many great matches, moments, and winners.

(And also King Mabel, but nothing in life is perfect!) ;) 

1 minute ago, C.S. said:

I assume you're referring to that post in the other thread.

Like it's a fucking crime for people to look forward to a beloved WWE institution with many great matches, moments, and winners.

(And also King Mabel, but nothing in life is perfect!) ;) 

It's a mixed bag. I actually enjoy it, and there are some hidden gems such as Test vs Brock, but the point was more how about this year's tournament's been really damn good.

Just now, hammerva said:

So the story about Sasha having a fit at Wrestlemania sounds true although what she was having a fit about is still debatable.    While I believe that Sasha definitely wanted a single heel run the title she didn't care about the tag title sees like bullshit.   

Or that's bullshit too and she's just playing into the rumors and dirtsheet nonsense.

She definitely cared about the Tag Titles, because they were her idea

Just now, KawadaSmile said:

As much as some consider the KOTR an inferior G1, so far this years tournament has been really damn good. At least 3 very good matches and 1 which at the very least was used to enhance a storyline.

I find the “inferior G1” talk amusing. It’s a tournament with a completely different setup style that seems more in line with “make the midcard matches we run for no reason actually mean something” and the response has been positive with the crowd getting in all sorts of matches. If this was trying to be the G1 then all the top acts would be in it. If the G1 was single elimination tournament without Omega, Naito, Okada, and Tanahashi, it would be equivalent to the KOTR.

Also, I think WWE has more talent in the midcard then NJPW has, but that’s due to excessive roster size. 

Just now, hammerva said:

So the story about Sasha having a fit at Wrestlemania sounds true although what she was having a fit about is still debatable.    While I believe that Sasha definitely wanted a single heel run the title she didn't care about the tag title sees like bullshit.   

They were promised a long run to give the title credibility, then it was decided they would drop them to a comedy team at Mania. Sasha being upset at being lied to got turned into her having a fit because of that silly Ryan Satin tweet (that was obviously fed by someone pissed at her in the company) saying her and Bayley were having full on toddler tantrums over it. 

Just now, Badlittlekitten said:

Good match, crowd seemed into the whole king of the ring thing. But for fucks sake. Drew is dead. Deader than dead. Let’s hope they go with Andrade for this cos Christ, they need to build a heel from somewhere. It’s gonna be Corbin again ain’t it :(

I’d say Ricochet winning means my proposed final of Andrade/Ricochet seems like the heavy favorite, with Corbin/Ali and Alexander/Andrade following.

I watched the Sasha promo. It's a good microcosm for why I cannot get into WWE nowadays. They had months to write a compelling angle for her coming back, and we get the same stale promo in the same cadence as every other WWE heel with the weird slow-talking, worked-shoot stylings and nonsensical character motivations. Didn't advance any storyline and everyone knows she didn't believe anything she said she's just reciting from a script anyway, so even the 'character' stuff doesn't achieve anything.

Urgh.