Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dark Megathread

Stiva

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually don't watch Dark because I just can't watch everything, but I did watch some this week. That Dark Order clash was really good with some nice angle advancement, as Evil Uno seems to get more and more isolated. Sonny Kiss vs Joey Janela was a good little banger and I have missed watching those two. Not familiar with Kayla Rossi, who's with Janela, but she got one hell of a look and that post-match spot she did was *wicked* (standing backflip footstomp into a chair on Kiss' back, and she did not even lose her balance !). And then QT vs Dustin showed how it's done. QT gets a lot of flak because of the TV time he got lately, but he's a *really good* pro-wrestler, smart too. Watching those too together, it kinda make sense they would be such good trainers, because they had really a strong match with tons of cool details (loved QT escaping the infamous Dustin punch, which is something you almost never see, or getting trapped into the Curtain Call because he put himself in a dangerous position). Less important but still cool, when did the Gunn Club got that nice synthwavy new theme ? Eddie Kingston announcing with Schiavone & Wight is as fun as expected. Should check out Dark Elevation more often.

Dark and Elevation have had some good stuff recently. Last week's Daniel Garcia v. Lee Moriarty was great. Swole v. Allie from this week was rough though. Allie is really popular on Twitter and there were many calls for TK to sign her, but after watching this, I am not sure why. Her bumping is bad, she moves in an uncoordinated way. She has a great presence and would be a great manager, but I don't see her as a good addition to the women's roster. They need some good hands and vets to help the young talent get over and get good. 

On 9/21/2021 at 11:58 PM, MoS said:

Dark and Elevation have had some good stuff recently. Last week's Daniel Garcia v. Lee Moriarty was great. Swole v. Allie from this week was rough though. Allie is really popular on Twitter and there were many calls for TK to sign her, but after watching this, I am not sure why. Her bumping is bad, she moves in an uncoordinated way. She has a great presence and would be a great manager, but I don't see her as a good addition to the women's roster. They need some good hands and vets to help the young talent get over and get good. 

I don't think Allie is particularly good but I don't think Swole is the person to get something watchable out of a limited worker like her either.

5 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I don't think Allie is particularly good but I don't think Swole is the person to get something watchable out of a limited worker like her either.

Very true. I honestly don't know why they were booked against each other. Like whom is that supposed to showcase, exactly. 

I've been reviewing Dark and Elevation over at DVDVR. Let me cross post back the last few I did so you guys don't feel I'm entirely joyless or whatever:

This is very much me dipping my toes into the promotion so bear that in mind.

I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks but excuse the multiple long posts.

Elevation 9/20:

Rosa vs Kaia: You guys realize I haven't seen much Rosa right? I'd say 75% of what she did looked really good. Loved the chop to the stomach and the face, loved the dropkick to the back in the ropes. I think she gave Kaia a little too much because while her rib shots were a good idea, the execution was really lackluster. I thought there was a moment where she just took back over and wasn't going to give everything back but then Kaia hit the quizzical jawbreaker (which was worth it for Eddie's Ogawa reference but not much else). Biggest issue I had with Rosa was her goofy back somersault after the cool dropkick to the back in the ropes to set up the next spot. I'm sure that's one of her signature moves/flourishes and the crowd expects it but she was way out of position and instead of it adding to the move and setting her up for more momentum, it just looked really silly. Otherweise, she moved very well in there. My gut says that this one stuck too close to a script that Kaia couldn't quite execute and maybe Rosa should have called an audible and just goozled her for her own good? Happy to see more Rosa but I'm not over the top wowed out of the gate.

Gunn Club trios: It's funny how much we all used to resent Billy back in 2001 when he was taking the IC belt from Benoit and whatever. Now he just makes it look easy with a simple matter-of-fact confidence that goes along with his size. I think it would have been commonplace 30 years ago but it's nice to see now. Austin's interesting to watch? Sort of Brian Christopher vibes with how hyper and over the top he is. He fed well for a second or two in the comeback there and wasn't afraid to bump. I'm less sure about his offense. It was always neat when Billy started using that armdrag/suplex/powerslam thing in the early 00s. It finishes a ton of French matches actually, but Austin used it more as a neckbreaker like Colt. I like the legacy element there anyway. I don't think Colton even got in there so who knows. Other side was fine for what they were expected to do. No comments.

Dark Order Explodes: I thought everyone was good here with Colt putting on an excellent, excellent performance. It was a little overwrought, went on too long, and needed to be refined into tighter emotional beats for the sake of the crowd. I get the idea that it going long meant that the pressure just kept building for Colt to fire off on Angels, but it wasn't entirely worth the time invested to get to that point; they could have gotten there sooner and with less noise, even if there was some artfulness to the mess. And the proof there is the crowd not really being into this despite caring about everyone there. When Angels pegged Cabana on the apron, there was a disappointed/sad oooh and that worked with the brief please don't fight chant, but otherwise, it just wasn't resonating. The mask ripping was a huge moment but then they went around one too many times with the finish. Would have preferred Angels pegging him, Uno trying but Angels ducking it for a roll up pin instead of what we got. All these guys are committed to the act, but I love the way Uno moves like a video game minion or something.

Cassidy vs Verna: This was quick. My head cannon says that Verna going so quickly to kicking Cassidy in the gut meant that he played right into his hands (as opposed to a more featured match where Cassidy's opening shtick would last longer) and led to the quick finish but of course that's ridiculous in a good way. Lookswise, Verna should probably be on NXT 2.0?

Private Party vs Santi/Goodz: This might be the first time I've seen Private Party and they looked good in a squash. Quen's little flourishes as he does moves (like the hands on his head during the rana) are fun and because he's on my mind, makes me want to see him against Cassidy who does similar but very different things. Good little tag team maneuvering, nice tandem Kaientai DX style bits. Not sure how they'd do in a real match in putting this stuff together (as i could see them not implementing their offense into the tag structure but just spamming it, which is a problem with almost all 2010s and on wrestling) but this was a fun squash. The quasi leaping hot tag from the other side was annoying because it wasn't at all earned.

Shida vs Slamovich: Ok yeah, this gets the full Worldwide point or whatever. Chippy as hell despite them doing some acrobatics and elaborate stuff which is always impressive. Slamovich took the rana right on her head and then, a little while later just ate that headbutt in the corner. Maybe you don't do dragon suplexes in the middle of Elevation matches? I don't know. Hard to say because I still kind of went nuts for it. I love that the move that took extra effort here wasn't the finish but the sit out dominator which was the thing that turned the tide and put Slamovich in a state that she wouldn't recover from, even if it took a couple more moves to put her away. Good stuff.

Kiss vs Janela: Great opening minute or two here with the initial hot attack, the dive, the shot back to the ring with the blood, and then the shot to Kayla taking out Sonny. Just a lot to process one after the other and a pretty perfect way to open the match. After that it was a sprint which was brutal and high stakes (that bump on the apron!) but maybe didn't lean into the animosity as much as I would have liked. Kiss taking a few detours from what was laid out to attack the wound between spots would have been nice, for instance. Look, kicking out of a Spanish fly and two pile drivers is not cool but I'm ok with fiery and revenge-minded Kiss doing it before a banana peel finish; it just should have been more on Janela to create some space and logic by taking time and getting heat before the pin. Protect moves.

Santana/Ortiz vs Dunn/Good: Well, I guess we can't really say how Dasher did, huh? Yeesh. I haven't seen a lot of Santana/Ortiz but they had a good flowing rhythm here, while maintaining their image/persona/presence. The contradiction sort of makes it work. Again, it works as a squash but I imagine in a real match it'd all be spots back and forth as people disrupted it and they got it back, but I can't know that for sure. I can't see these guys hanging out with Jericho.

Dustin vs QT: So Dustin's a pretty amazing pro wrestler in how good his stuff looks, in how he works from underneath, in how he engages the crowd like no one else (but maybe Christian) does in 2021. Maybe that's all we should say this week? As for QT, I wish he wouldn't work quite so strong. I think there are things he does well but he should work 20% more manager-y and chickenshit. That would serve him better for his role on the show. He's a guy who shouldn't be doing a top rope superplex without some outside help, that should use that Enzuigiri as an opportunistic desperation move more and something maybe that he's surprised that he hits. I don't know about the power bomb. He's best served as a more Heenan-like figure in a six man. Still dangerous when he smells blood but will probably lose a fair fight.

General thought: Eddie is such a joy to listen to but there's definitely a sense that we're on borrowed time with him in this role. Let's enjoy it while we can.

Dark 9/21:

JTX vs Wardlow: JTX had some pretty good strikes actually, and Wardlow leaned into them. I like how Wardlow's methodological pace stands out in AEW. I'm not entirely sure about his overall presence. He seems a little dopey for a monster maybe? He can work on that to a degree. Power Bombs looked great. His stupid corner knee thing didn't. Ref should have called the match between the fourth and the fifth one. I get that you want to put over finishers in these enhancement matches but maybe he could have hit that after power bomb two and kept powerbombing until the ref called it? Because as it was, he called it once the violence seemed to be over and not when it seemed to be escalating/continuing.

Big Swole vs Allie Katch: Definitely not a cat. I have a lot of time for Big Swole's entrance. Real high energy and again something that feels a little different. Katch's offense looked pretty nasty. I also have a lot of time for Dirty Dancing as a finish, as much for the name as anything else, but you do get the sense she can end a match at any point with it, which will serve her well in years to come. I have less time for the rest of her offense, but she's got time. Taz bitching about having to call the stips on the 2/3 falls match was funny.

Santana/Ortiz vs Chaos Project: Yeah, look, Santana and Ortiz have a problem where they do six things when they should have done three. I liked the early bits where they were controlling the arm and theoretically using that as a bridge to hit their tandem stuff but it was all just too much (and quickly dropped anyway). I like Serpentico in theory and think he could get a Fuego type run at some point because of his little bits of enthusiasm and connection. I absolutely love how Luther uses him as a weapon and think it's just wildly creative and original and interesting and I think, contradicting what I said about Santana/Ortiz, he should do almost no offense that isn't using Serpentico as a weapon. It's all they have going for them; lean into it to stand out. The use of him to block the dive was lovely. I didn't love the transition where Santana just ducked Serpentico running to whack him with a clothesline, but later on Serpentico did the same thing on Ortiz with a kick instead so I can forgive it because there's some inherent build there (earned spot). The finish was really funny to me since it was Santana hitting a move on his own partner, just like Luther! with the mare on Ortiz to hype up the Cutter. I do like how Ortiz and Santana have enough stuff that they have a couple of finishers but if they grounded their big spots in actual tag team wrestling, the world would be a better place. I could see myself skipping them more and more in the months to come.

Janela vs McQueen: Ok, I get McQueen's a student and paying his monetary dues but JTX was more over with the crowd and he didn't get an entrance and a robe and a crown. I'd like to be nice to these kids, so I'll say that McQueen's movement in the ring looked good, but I had absolutely no idea what he was trying to be character-wise. Ozymandias? I kind of hope so as that'd be a fun gimmick. Anyway, I know Janela's been around the block but it kills me that he doesn't make all of his errors enforced errors. The knees up on the senton was a good little bit of hope for young, hopeless McQueen but it would have fit Joey's character and the match up until there so much better if Janela ran into it because he was taking his time posing or celebrating or being the bad boy or calling out to Kayla for emotional support blanket moments to reassure him or something. Not only would it lead to a better, more character-driven narrative, but it actually protects Janela's other stuff and makes him look better because the only way anyone is getting one up on him is because of his personality, not his wrestling. The spot where McQueen went over the top right into Kayla's arms was very good.

Conti vs Tucker: Half of Conti's stuff looks really good. The other half is a little too collaborative and really depends upon her chemistry with her opponent which wasn't quite there here. I thought Tucker had some unique gear and that one really great knee in as a spot. I also thought she went over REALLY well for the throws early on. My favorite thing in this match was one of them figuring out that the fans were clapping up for Conti and Tucker did an audible into a chinlock to feed into it and cut it off with a hair pull and then go back into it for the "Let's go Tay" chants for the comeback. It wasn't the smoothest thing in the world but it was appreciated. DDTay is just a horrifically bad name. There was good and not so good here, like the do-si-do and some molasses moments but they're honing their craft.

Johnson/Anderson vs Stewart and his partner Luke something: Sorry Luke. Lots of matches here. I liked Stewart's thing with the sunglasses. That's why I remember his name and not the other guy. Johnson looked pretty good in there for his experience level. I would have liked him timing his punches to the fans clapping along when he was fighting from underneath because that sort of gives them a cookie for being part of the show (I very much liked the walk over the back callback of course; this stuff is in basically every AEW match and good for them). Anderson is very new at this but doing what he should be doing. Obviously he was going to be a little ginger between moves and some of the angles would be off but it's ok. Early days. I liked how this match could have been taken from 1994 without any deviation. Good pacing. Good, solid ringtime for these guys. Learn how to do this and then the more complex stuff will come. Hell, in a perfect world, it'd almost barely even have to.

FTR vs Greene/Rogers: I loved the first five minutes of this, no question. That sort of stuttering heel control where  the faces get shine. The balance is tricky here as you don't want FTR to stooge too much or to have to rely 100% on cheating and really, it was more like them having to rely 50% on cheating, so it was very good. I've been watching so much French wrestling that there were times here I wanted the faces to hang on to an arm during a power slam and keep the hold going but that works in a 30 or 20 minute match and not in a ten minute one. The whole appeal of the Revival was that they took traditional tag structures and overlaid 2010s move and combos onto them and frankly, other than the finishing moves out of Cash, there was much less of that here and they leaned even more into very, very plausible and logical offense, including creative double teams that were not at all cooperative. Cash's back elbow in the corner was great and the miss to set up the extended (see: earned) hot tag really worked. I'm not super familiar with Greene but I knew he worked a sort of uber 80s gimmick on the 80s. I was surprised by the athleticism here. The dive by Rogers at the end was crazy and worked to set up the finish. I thought it was interesting how so much of the finishing stretch (either the pin exchanges or the final bit) were straight one on one. I don't think anyone puts more thought (maybe equal but not more) into what they do than FTR and it's great that they're able to have a canvas like this to experiment with game opponents. I'm much more interested in seeing them work matches like this than against a lot of the top of the tag division.

Bunny vs Kay: Maybe my favorite Bunny squash so far. She portrays deranged viciousness well most of the time. There's probably a limit on how far you'd want to push her, but as a second and mid-card heel act, she's good at what she does. Kay was ok. The back handspring for the shoulder in the corner looked fine and not contrived. She took stuff well enough though I don't think I ever fully bought most of her little bursts of offense. While I liked Bunny's knee usage, I think she needs some more interesting/stylized cutoffs maybe? It's not one-size fits all. What might work for FTR wouldn't work for her and etc.

Archer vs Kross: Fun beating. Kross got some hope to begin and I wish he didn't. It'd have been more funny if he did some of his usual goofiness and just got crushed for it. The way Archer starts his matches (carrying or chasing his opponent) is part of the appeal right now, so here was a prime opportunity wasted. Kross sure threw himself into all of Archer's offense though.

Wingmen vs Dark Order: Avalon's facial expression after Silver's huge beale was the best part of the match. Second best was the fact that you KNEW after he couldn't hit the double suplex that it would turn into the big transition to set up the hot tag. It was 100% the right move. You can't tease it and not deliver and there's no reason to get too fancy with the structure here, on Dark, with the comedy heels and the Dark Order. I liked how Nesmeth's double neckbreaker then completely failed later, as he deserves. I wonder if the overarching dissension angle should have been played up more and they decided not to do that because -1 was there? Nothing to dwell too much on. I'm glad he got to spend some time at Universal. Just a thought. Other highlight was Taz's commentary about Hook and how he'd do whatever and didn't listen to him. Funny stuff.

Garcia vs Angels: Garcia is an extremely natural jerk in there. You don't get the sense he's some guy playing pro wrestler. I'm not sure what sort of trajectory these guys will take over the next many years, but as much as Moriarty and Garcia could have years of feuding in front of them, Angels and Garcia could too. I thought they had very good chemistry here. Angels' big dive was great though you really felt the absence of the Dark Order with all the 2.0 interference. They could have played that up more on commentary. I'd like to see Angels in an odd couple tag team with a bigger and higher positioned babyface (like a Kingston or Mox) at some point. I don't know; these guys are all new to me.

Factory trios: Better use of QT here as he came in after Comoroto destroyed Carter(?) and snuck in at the end to claim the victory. Comoroto's one arm powerbomb out of the corner was awesome. Match was laid out fine with the enhancement guys getting a shot in each and then getting crushed.

Drake vs Cabana: This was good. Again, too many faction distractions to create transitions on this show. Here Uno and -1 were ineffectual out there. Drake is one of my favorite guys in AEW so far (and I badly need to watch that Cobb match that was suggested to me; I'll get there as I only just saw Punk vs Darby today) and he played into Colt's comedy stuff well early and had some big cut offs later. He has a different body type than anyone in the company and is pretty good at leaning into that. He knows his place on the card and the meaning behind his stature and gives pretty appropriately accordingly. I'd like him as FTR's heater personally. Colt's like watching an old friend. This one would have been a good place to have the Dark Order (even -1) play into the finish by halting Wingmen interference and make everything on the show so far pay off, but you can't really do that with the dissension angle, so they were stuck. I think a little more thought could have been given on a show where you were going to have FOUR Dark Order matches.

Kingston vs Bear Bronson: I would have probably placed Drake vs Cabana earlier in the show because there was a little bit of overlap in body types and some moves (like the somersault avalanche in the corner). Plenty of differences too though. They really went at it here. Kingston's got that quality of a lot of wise folk heroes in pro wrestling history to always get shots in and fire back when you're eating offense. Here he was shooting chops in while he was getting picked up. He knew what he was in there with and he knew the opportunity inherent in having him as an opponent and how to put him over and make himself look all the better in the process, down to the post-match promo where he talked him up for a second before getting on to business. And nothing about this hurt Bear because he's in a tag and not used to wrestling singles and because he took everything Kingston through at him and dominated a lot of the match, even though Kingston was never even close to being out of it.

Elevation 9/27:

Thunder Rosa vs Kayla Sparks: I've seen a couple of Rosa enhancement matches so far and I'm coming to wonder if she's someone who I'm going to like a lot more against name talent? She was feeling the crowd and can channel plenty of intensity but there were definite small moments of disconnect in moving Kayla around. Very clearly calling spots to but that felt almost more impressive than not since she could accomplish a lot with a few words. That's on production as much as anything else, I guess, or maybe the fact that she comes into exchanges at a distance instead of close up? Not sure. I don't love the double stomp to the front in the ropes at a glance just because she doesn't do anything special to get a wrestler into a position that they're never in. Very different from Rey and the 619 as he spends a lot of effort getting them there. This was overall okay but there was some understandable ring rust on Sparks (cagematch says this was her fifth match back after 14 years retired!). I'd like to see this back in a couple of months maybe? I'm glad Henry's getting some more time in the booth to work on this, but he announces like he wrestles. Good ideas, but he takes his time to get to them. That works when you're a super heavyweight in the ring. Less so announcing.

Dark Order vs Tibbs and, you know, some other poor saps: Feel good stuff. It's sort of crazy to think just how much this crowd got, but this is the sort of match that makes everyone happy and that's going to make people want to come back almost as much as the stuff on top. Just a massive Dark Order showcase. I haven't seen him enough to vote for him in March Madness or anything but so far, I really like what I see in Angels. I like the way that he moves in the ring. I like the way he takes offense. I like the way he sells. Tons of upside. Plus Tony's Four on Five! line was amazing. When the Order ultimately work together they make fairly contrived stuff look natural; it fits the gimmick and their personalities and like I said, it looks and feels right. Obviously Silver got a big moment and good for him. The enhancement talent was there to enhance and enhance they did. I'm glad to hear someone actually mention Hangman Page. You guys know how I feel about that. And more glad to hear Chris Hero name dropped. Kingston namedropped Homicide and Homicide showed up, so.... Anyway, I'd like go back to the early days of the Dark Order and show people this match and the reaction they got.

Wight vs VSK, RSP, and CPA: The crowd deserved the show given how hot they were for everything. Great reception for Wight. If you treat your giant like a big deal and like a giant, he becomes an attraction. If you put him on TV every week like some other guy, he becomes another guy. This followed a time-tested formula and was super entertaining and the crowd loved it. Like Tony, I want to see Wight chop Austin Gunn, so good for everyone involved. I looked up VSK and RSP (more on that in a second) but not CPA and he came off as a pretty funny undercard CHIKARA character with his stilted, constipated motions, but you probably don't want to showcase too much of him in a bigger role as that character. Anyway, RSP. So he wrestles as a corrupt judge who feigns polio and uses a cane as a weapon in Olde Wrestling. Do you guys know about this? A little goes a long way in watching it but it led me to check out Segunda Caida favorites, the boys from Jollyville as the Jollyville Jeepers, Clean and Jerk, and it's awesome to see those guys interacting with kids and what not considering their usual setting. Anyway, this was great and I'd love to see a match like this once a month or so.

Promos: I have no major opinion on Scorpio Sky but that was a really good promo from him.

Acclaimed: I had listened to the back half of the promos (the out of character ones mainly) at 2x speed and Caster sounds pretty damn good at 2x speed. Just saying. That said, showing the crowd Griff and having him not second Pillman (but having Julia there) was a choice.

Need another match or two, but that crowd couldn't take much more so I get it. They did a good job filling the 40 mins with other stuff at the end.

Dark 9/28

Thunder Rosa vs Nikita Knight: Is Knight actually a rookie? As in first match rookie. Because if so, this was a hell of a debut for her. This is what google's telling me. I thought she moved really well in there with none of that hesitation or awkwardness I've seen in some of the other Rosa enhancement matches. Maybe one reversal off a whip in the center of the ring into a knee that could have been a little bit better but a lot of it really came off as struggle instead of awkwardness. Sometimes, it looks real because it is real because of inexperience or uncooperativeness, but this seemed pretty good all around. I loved the eyerake on the top ropes. I liked how aggressive she was in the ropes. Maybe they kept it a little more simple because she was knew, more strike based for instance, but I thought the initial matwork worked well too exactly because it wasn't so smooth. The dropkick to the chest from Rosa works a lot better in the corner than in the ropes. The necktie seemed just a little off but Knight should be proud of herself for this one and it's a feather in the cap of Rosa too.

Private Party vs Carlie Bravo and JDX: I'm high on Private Party in these Dark matches. Great engagement. They let the characters drive the action, both in how they got clowned early and how pissed off Kassidy was when they got the offense back. They got it back after a very good transition with Quen coming in out of nowhere. Like I said, they came off as pissed and that gave all of the cutesy tandem offense a real edge to it, which isn't an easy task. Bravo and JDX had some fun combos and plenty of charisma but the crowd wasn't exactly feeling the USA chant. I haven't actually seen Party in a real match yet but I enjoy their enhancement work certainly.

Hogan vs Grey: My first look at Hogan. I know she had a tag run in TNA that people liked and I can see her as a pretty good face-in-peril from the little I saw here. That's the case with these matches. You only get glimpses of a total wrestler, but I liked her selling, especially on the strike exchange. The kick out of nowhere is a good finisher but only if it's sold that way and treated that way and I don't think the announcers put it over enough. Camera work missed the abrupt dropkicks. Nothing to really say about Grey here (I didn't love how she hit the ropes with her hand leading but I'm not going to harp on that every time I see it).

10 vs Gore: Is Gore just big or is Vance not as big as I thought he was? I guess Gore is big. Good for him. He still got a little too much here. You want Vance dominating a little more cleanly. I didn't mind Gore's first bit of offense because it let Vance come back with the charge into the corner but they went around a little too much after that, including the bit of playing possum that just didn't add much to the match. They should have probably sold Gore's size a little more on commentary and made the pop up power bomb not just dominating but a physical feat of strength.

Bononi/Jaoude vs Ryzin/St. Patrick: "Legit combat sports athlete" is not a good way to introduce someone in a pro wrestling match. I get that it's 2021, but come on. That makes wrestling subconsciously look inferior. "Legitimate, not like this hokey bullshit," you mean? Of course then they cut to Ryzin with his red rooster mohawk and... ah, nevermind. Then, the first thing Jaoude does with his combat sports background? A legdrop. Awesome. He does move around in there a little different and that's interesting to watch. I wouldn't mind seeing him against a guy like Black (or Danielson, of course, but that's everyone). Ryzin killing himself on that bossman slam type move by Bononi was funny because the physics are all off. Bononi has an unfortunate Test element to him where he's a big guy who does big things but they don't necessarily look and feel big. St. Patrick really went flying on the pumphandle throw though. I don't know? Are these guys signed because there's a Brazil TV deal or something?

Archer vs Singh: Archer's pretty ideal for a studio wrestlers with the creative starts to the matches and talking to the camera and just beating a guy around the ring. The bell ringing so late was funny. I thought Archer almost rolled his ankle walking over Singh after the match which would be a uniquely stupid way to injure yourself.

Starks vs Lockhart: I've never actually seen Starks before. I'd like to see Starks' entrance in front of a crowd. The music is definitely different. I'm immediately intrigued by Lockhart's Tenryu tribute with the tights. He's a ton of fun on the mat right from that get go. That back bridge on the pretzel hammerlock thing is not something I've seen before, I think. Starks is extremely present in his reactions and very giving early on. I liked his selling of the fist after the punch and his pissy stomps later on. He comes off a little like a 2005 Rock clone but that's not necessarily a bad thing in 2021. He uses a lot of pre-2005 offense which is also sort of appreciated in that role. Lots of nonchalant biting which was sort of funny. Lockhart had a good back elbow and hit hard on his charging shots into the corner late in the match but he did not feel very Tenryu-y to me. You don't invoke his name if you're not going to walk up and kick some bastard in the face. I still liked him though. This was good. You guys know this was good.

Uno/Grayson vs Alanis/Gray: Alanis did little things I liked, working the apron and interacting with Gray. He didn't wow me in ring. Gray was all sorts of flopsy in how he took offense. I don't have a good sense of Grayson relatively. The PK/Pile Driver combo is a fun finisher though. Best part of this was Gray doing the Dark Order hand thing before the match. That was funny.

Julia vs Tahaka: I actually think Pillman lost on Dynamite because Julia didn't underscore her name on the entrance. She does here. I don't know. I thought it was funny that she missed the double knee moonsault, then sold broadly but not the knees and then remembered that she's a cheerleader and was supposed to smile all the time and just toughed through it. I have no idea if that's a character choice or what, but if it is they should establish it better. Takaha is best controlling the center of the ring with headbutts. Maybe Julia shouldn't be doing Alexa Bliss' Sparkle Splash (Twisted Bliss). Maybe? Her finishing flurry is good with the front handspring corner clothesline looking good, but they need to get the other angle on the split bulldog.

Bear Country vs Brick Aldridge and some other guy: Brick Aldridge is a pretty good NXT 2.0 name. This was good, of course. Bear Country is a very solid gatekeeper sort of tag team that a promotion should be glad to have. Against them, hope spots should be about misses and not hits. I don't think we needed Aldridge giving Boulder a belly to belly. Not sure if that's where he got hurt or not (hell, it might have been the missed moonsault that I just lauded structurally). Hopefully he's ok.

Sydal/Martin vs QT/Solo: Good to get some shine on Sydal/Martin before their highlight Dynamite match. I like the mishmash team approach. Very Tommy Rich and Ricky Morton. I haven't seen Sydal in years. I wonder if Martin was an Evan Bourne fan. This was fun, with Sydal looking like he's never missed a bet from ten years ago. He did a little bit of everything. I liked Solo's expressions as he got clowned in the opening chain wrestling and he was overall competent for the rest of the match. Good timing on the heel chicanery stuff. QT looked good basing for Sydal. I still hate that he uses the sitout powerbomb in his role. This had double heat with two good hot tags and Martin's flipping stunner is great but it's not a move he should do every match. That's really important. The opportunity has to exist and it shouldn't always exist. Finishing stretch was bombastic and fun. Nice WCW syndi show main event.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:21 AM, funkdoc said:

Really enjoy these, Matt!

Yep. me, too.

Very enjoyable to read your thoughts, @Matt D. If/when I get sufficient time and energy I might do a longish post comparing/contrastimg our thoughts about some particular future YouTube AEW show.  Or perhaps more just rambling on what thoughts get sparked in my head by reading your thoughts. I always have thoughts, generally positive, when reading those posts. I've just been too busy to chime in, recently.

Sounds good. I'm happy to do these. It's been decades since we've really had a sort of Superstars/Wrestling Challenge/WCW Syndicated Show (Or mid-late 90s WCW Saturday Night) with this formula of enhancement matches with some mid-card clashes. The closest was probably early NXT but even that was more of a core show and there's a lot we can learn about pretty much everyone involved by watching these and commenting even loosely. While I like doing it, it's even better if someone's interacting with what I'm saying.

While I'm at it, allow me to add these recommendations from earlier this year:

JD Drake vs Eddie Kingston (Dark, Feb 17), Darby Allin (Dynamite, April 4), Rocky Romero (Dark Elevation, May 13), and Jungle Boy (Dark Elevation, May 28)

Bear Country vs TH2 (Dark, March 25) and vs Chaos Project (Dark, Feb 4)

Bear Bronson vs Brian Cage (Dark, April 22), Lance Archer (Dark Elevation, May 12), and Jungle Boy (Dark, May 29)

Tay Conti vs Hikaru Shida (Dynamite April 21)

Will get to rec's at some point (Monday morning is a good time for me on some of these since I usually have the Catch watched over the weekend, NFF isn't worked out for another day or two, and I don't have Elevation/Dark yet). Thanks.

Elevation 10/4/21

Emi vs Skye: Tony immediately regretting asking Eddie to talk is great. Eddie was great as within ten seconds he declares that he only likes Lulu, who is dope, and that Skye has to get over in another territory. Then Tony got the great line that no matter who wins or loses, he gets paid. Again, these aren't what you want for your A show but it's like Dusty being hilarious on WCW Prime. Match itself worked. It wasn't pretty but it worked. There's a line on smoothnness where if you straddle it right, the lack of such can feel like competitiveness. What helped was that the match played into it. Skye took Emi down and started wailing on her and she paid for it in a big way. I loved Lulu's stomps on the floor because they were so overwrought 80s pro wrestling. Big and ridiculous. If she was punching, she'd be doing the big Bret Hart stomping as she did. Emi going twice for the body press in the corner was a nice arrogant bit of transition. Skye's high cross body was as high as you get and worked as a near-fall even though it shouldn't have. The tilt-a-whirl was a perfect cut off moment and the Queen's Gambit looked great (that has to be a tough move to take and make look good). I'm not entirely sure what to think of this one. Skye looked good in the loss from a kayfabe level but I think, as a wrestler, she'd maybe get more out of doing a house show loop with Emi, than she did from this one match alone?

2.0 + Garcia vs Corino, Stetson, Thrillride: I love that we're in a world where Daniel Garcia gets an enhancement match. The intensity he showed at the start rushing Stetson probably wouldn't get to happen against most other opponents and it's a great looking at him. The triple tag thing they do where they make sure to tag both guys each time so they can triple team is really novel (to me at least). Corino had a nice idea of rolling out of the ring to eat the Matt Lee clothesline on the floor, but he was moving in slow motion getting down to do it. Garcia is quite good at milking the moment on his lean back on the Sharpshooter. Onemanthrillride really wasted his moment in the sun here. You have people's attention with the name and the look. Do something!

Spears/Wardlow vs Stunt/Fuego: Hey, Fuego went for the French Catch up and over. He did it as part of an exchange instead of a counter to a top wristlock and because the motion of it was different and the basing of it was different, he didn't quite get it. Good thought though. Spears coming out with the Brodie shirt was his right and if he's going to do it, Elevation's a great place for it, but I think it disrupted his heel reaction a bit. When he did his "10!" thing it wasn't heelish enough and that hurt Fuego doing it in response. He's basically Borne Again but as a bunch of WWE lower-card acts instead. It works but boy does it have a ceiling. People really complain about Marko Stunt? He was used perfectly here, as a foil for guys like Wardlow to have bounce off them. Even when Marko started to get some momentum on him, it was only enough to get a quick hot tag and then work with Fuego. His big offensive move on Spears was just rolling away from him repeatedly. Maybe it was worse a year ago, but everyone in that ring understood who he was and what he was and how he should fit into the match. I was especially impressed with Wardlow's reactions to him. The double death valley driver was set up well (as in it didn't feel contrived) and Wardlow's finish looked a million times better than when he does it out of the corner.  

Archer vs Bruno: Glad to see Jake up and about but he has the presence of my 70 year old uncle out there. Archer definitely wasn't running (or power-walking) to the ring for this one. It's ok because Bruno was so big they could play it differently. Archer's a big guy who can do a lot of stuff and that, from what I've seen, generally holds it back to instead do a bunch of things he should be doing but at very high intensity. Here, he got to do some of the stuff because of Bruno's size and it worked and it didn't wear out its welcome. I think the value in Jake would be in taped package promos getting Archer or one of this feuds over more so than being at ringside.

Abaddon vs Davienne: First look at Abaddon. Davienne sold the intimidation/fear at the start, but the scariest part of the match was Eddie almost dropping the F word. She comes off as more alien/outlandish than terrifying in the ring. A bunch of weird offense (that looks pretty good) and expressions. She definitely needs a handler of some sort. I'm not sure I loved Davienne taking so much of the start of this without more blatant no-selling? I don't know what to make of it with one data point, I guess.

Santana/Ortiz vs Two Guys in Facepaint: I don't know about Santana and Ortiz. I think they're just not for me. Look at how creative and interesting the use of tags was in the 2.0 trios and then look at the four minutes of dull noise of doubleteams this was. They were fine, creative even, but I just wasn't feeling it. Henry was fine on commentary though. Good for him to get his laps in.

Statlander vs Becca: Completely a Statlander match, with Becca's main contribution actively avoiding the boop, up until she didn't. I'd be curious to see what more of a Becca match looks like since she's obviously put a lot of care into her gear/personality. Lots of strength spots out of Statlander. I'm a sucker for interesting entry points into a goardbuster so long as they're not overly contrived and hers was good. I like how the boop's inevitability led to the inevitability of the finish. Statlander is someone who, moving forward, you can put against almost anyone on the roster and it'll be interesting, because she's so committed to her act and very consistent in what she does.

Acclaimed vs Delaney/Cheech: I'd say more a case of missed opportunities than anything else. You want to see Delaney up against a guy like Archer right? that would have been true ten years ago at least. He had a good flurry but a guy on his level shouldn't be doing jumping springboard cutters. Cheech is another guy you'd probably like to see get mauled (I mean 15 years ago, right?). Caster could have done more with the rap considering who was in there. Kingston had some matches with Cheech in 05-06 and you kind of wish he'd been on commentary for this. It was obvious Tony had no idea who they were but that's ok. I like the Acclaimed in theory but you still get the sense they're putting it together. Both of them have around 200 matches on Cagematch despite being wrestling since 2015-6 and they'd just really benefit from House Shows.

FTR vs Nystrom/Dean: First time hearing the new theme and it's pretty perfect. I kind of wish someone could convince Dax Harwood to watch some Blousons Noirs match because he reminds me so much of Marcel Manneveau in all the best ways. I get the sense that Wheeler might be more of the footage guy/historian. Wheeler's tackle off the apron was really good. If you're only going to get to do a few things, making them all like that really helps.

Kiss vs KM: Fans were definitely behind Kiss. KM looked good out there for the most part. The immediate face drop out of the lock up and then later out of the wheelbarrow, the back targeting. Why the heck was he going up top so much though? Kiss' strikes looked good, including the handspring into a kick where I didn't think the distance would work out. The fans really wanted the fireman's carry to work out so I'm glad they got what they wanted. I'd see more KM.

Gunn Club promo: This worked. They were frustrated about inconsequential stuff and Billy was patient until he wasn't. Gunn's head in the opening always freaks me out with the texturing. Scarier than Abadon.

22 hours ago, Stiva said:

There’s also a QT/Dustin vs Silver and Reynolds tag from before the latter really got highlighted that is a great little WCW C-show tag.

Dark May 26th 2020, I believe.

1st match up, about 2 minutes in. Indeed, a tidy little tag team.bout.

As much as I enjoy the Horsemen inspired theme from the Pinnacle, that new FTR one is pretty puzzling to me. It's like they wanted to re-do the cheapest version of the already cheap-ass ersatz version the MX used in WCW after they couldn't use Moroder anymore. So it's kind of a tribute to not the original theme but to the cheap-ass one. Like someone who pay homage to DDP using a warped version of his pseudo-Nirvana theme. Without the slightest bit of irony either. In the end I have no idea if I find that pretty cool or if that makes FTR really look more and more like "The Revival".

I can so get behind that Sonny Kiss vs Kayla Rossi feud.

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Gunn's head in the opening always freaks me out with the texturing. Scarier than Abadon.

Agism alert ! :lol: Speaking of Abadon, yeah, she doesn't do it for me either. I've watched way too much Su Yung, with the awesome IMPACT production, to be scared by this girl, who looks dressed freaky for the party, not like an actual scary zombie. She has improved though compared to where she was when she first showed up.