AEW Dark Megathread

Stiva

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Taynara Conti has been making progress in LARGE strides. One of WWE's biggest fuck ups and maybe the biggest example of how the PC sucks ass.

Her match against Red Velvet was a good showing for both, but Conti's submissions are beautiful. Some Milano-like tangling over there. Hope she keeps improving, as she's a natural at this.

• 1 month later...

Can't believe no one mentioned the biggest news of last week's Dark : Brandon Cutler finally got a win over Peter Avalon in a match that included bumps on books and dies (which had to suck), with the Young Bucks finally showing up to support their friend. Also, Leva Bates apparently split up with Avalon. I hope they keep both of them around because they can do so much more (pretty much anything, really).

Anna Jay really looks like a futur star, so there's that, and Leyla Hirsch really has a cool thing going with the MMA style. Gotta browse though those überlong Dark episode though, it's generous of them to feature all of those people, but as much as I enjoyed the shorter episode, almost a PPV-like lenghts of a bunch of competitive squashes and a few actual competitive match is way too long.

On 11/3/2020 at 8:44 PM, Blehschmidt said:

Agreed. These marathon Darks of mostly competitive squashes are becoming a chore. I will be very glad when (if) they return to the original format.

I really do get that POV. But I really liked the last two marathon-length Darks. The NJ/NY crew they brought in is probably the best "van" they've had - Leyla and Bowens & Caster more than earned contracts, while the VSKs earned a call back at least. While their homegrowns - Lee Johnson, Kylynn King, Red Velvet are starting to bear fruit. 

7 hours ago, rovert said:

I really do get that POV. But I really liked the last two marathon-length Darks. The NJ/NY crew they brought in is probably the best "van" they've had - Leyla and Bowens & Caster more than earned contracts, while the VSKs earned a call back at least. While their homegrowns - Lee Johnson, Kylynn King, Red Velvet are starting to bear fruit. 

I just find the sheer amount of matches overwhelming. The talent they've brought in to do the jobs, has been good for the most part. I just don't understand why they don't turn this into a classic WCW Saturday Night scenario. Do the squash match, then let the guys/gals cut a quick promo about their angle, or just to get themselves over. It would break up the match, match, match, tediousness. It would give folks a chance to get more comfortable behind the mic, and Tony Schiavone is right there!!

Yeah, it's way to much of the same thing, and although it's a good deal for talent who can get to work, it gets tedious to watch. The announcing crew is much more fun that the Dynamite one though (because, well, no JR).

The highlight of this week's show was Pretty Peter Avalon's vignette. So, the Librarians seems to be done. Hopefully Avalon gets featured more in the future, he's a super solid worker and a good character.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Dark front, some interesting stuff like a new segment for Britt Baker, the Waiting Room. Nowhere as good as Locker Room Talk in IMPACT, but it has potential thanks to Baker's character. Talk-show format with fake crowd reactions and Reba doing the worst fake laughs ever. Interestingly enough, Baker made jokes about the Young Bucks, Cody and... Eddie Kingston, so yeah, the babyface turn is incoming...

Also, TNT have been there these last few weeks and they are D-Von's boys. Damn, I feel old. They really remind me of their father too. More potential than the Gunn Club, I'm honestly kinda baffled the whole Billy Gunn family got contracts, I mean they seem ok but nothing special at all and don't scream "potential great workers or star" to me.

On the women side, Leila Hirsh getting a win, so they got this going, and the debut of Lindsay Snow, now here's one girl I'd like to see more off, always enjoyed her on Bloodsports. Also, Ivelisse vs Alex Gracia was one of the better women's match in a while, with Gracia looking really good. Granted Ivelisse's intensity is gonna make the match look better anyway, but still, she impressed (lot of style too).

I actually thought they struck a good balance this week in the sense that it felt more like 1995 Saturday Night in that it ended up featuring people in ways that felt useful instead of just a parade of squashes. The Waiting Room has definite potential but I’d say it needs something in there for someone to be hit with/put through. I really do hope we actually get an extended Jack Evans run on Dynamite as a result of it.

Im also getting a kick out of old and slowed down Frankie Kazarian building matches around strikes. I think it’s the most I’ve ever enjoyed him.

I'm watching some Dark and in the very first match, Big Swole nearly drops Vipress straight on her head in a total careless fashion, Tiger Driver/Ganso Bomb style. That girl is the Nia Jaxx of AEW, her work sucks and she will end up injuring someone with her sloppy looking shit.

Lots of the women they used on Dark last night stunk.

I like that rapping tag team though. Don't know much about them but both guys are attractive and charismatic. If they can work too, they're worth pushing.

Sydal also showing why they signed him by having a nice ten minute match with Angels from Dark Order, who is like 22 I think. Having experienced, TV level performers being able to give guys like that reps in the ring is invaluable to development.

The real joy of Dark this week was me discovering Peter Avalon’s new music. Fantastic. The gimmick probably needs a bit more money pumper into it; I want to see Pretty Peter vignettes, a string of beauty queen valets, t-shirts with his face on, Pretty Peter masks on the AEW merch store. Book it, TK

31 minutes ago, Stiva said:

The real joy of Dark this week was me discovering Peter Avalon’s new music. Fantastic. The gimmick probably needs a bit more money pumper into it; I want to see Pretty Peter vignettes, a string of beauty queen valets, t-shirts with his face on, Pretty Peter masks on the AEW merch store. Book it, TK

Yeah, that's the perfect gimmick (well, it was *his* gimmick anyway). Total Rick Rude feel, but with the twist that Peter Avalon ain't Rick Rude, as showed by the vignettes that have been airing for the last few weeks. ;)

Shanna looked really good for someone who's been off for 8 months ! PUSH HER ALREADY ! 

Also, Ivelisse vs Lindsay Snow is the kind of stuff I want, more if this. I hope they sign Snow, she's pretty unique. 

Gotta say how much I love the announcing on the show, Taz & Excalibur are great together in this relaxed setting, and whenever Starks shows up it's even better. 

Too bad no doctor office this week though.

Glad Marko is adding something to the mix where he can be smashed in the head by a guitar to set up a feud somewhere down the line. Dustin dropped a good promo and Rebel’s fake laugh is fantastic. Solid segment. 

Apparently Nyla and Vickie are going to be aligned with Shaq and Jade Cargill for the feud so I’m assuming Cargill is too green to carry too much of the in-ring portion of it?

I don't particularly care to watch Marko wrestle. Not so much for the usual biases that get thrown at him, I just legit fear he is going to break something badly every time he steps in the ring. But, while it wasn't my particular genre of music, he was really good. I hope that Tony Khan, or Jericho, or someone is looking out for him and acts on that, because that shit would probably sell.