Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dark Megathread

Stiva

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we had a curfew here in Québec, Elevation/Dark was essential viewing. When you have to be home at 8h00 pm, two hours of wrestling on Monday and Tuesday is welcomed. Now that the curfew is about to be lifted, I don’t know what my viewing habit will be. I will still watch, maybe in parts. 

Tonight had some good stuff. Tay Conti looked like a huge star again. She will be massive for AEW once she can wrestle in front of rabid crowds. I like the pretty pictures. JD Drake eventually getting tired of their BS will be great. Really like Dustin/Aron Solow. Thunder Rosa was great as always. 

Matches like Serpentico vs Sonny Kiss are perfect little b-show offerings.  A Chaos Project vs The Newest Midnight Express/The Team with No Name could be a fun pre-show/b-show program.  

We really need to get Janela & Kiss a gimmick name.  Teams like The Acclaimed, Chaos Project, Varsity Blondes and probably others I forget have all received their gimmick name after Joey & Sonny were formed.  What is up with that?  Maybe they are constantly on Tony K’s list of possible breakups in the tag team division.  

Julia Hart is such a good addition to the Varsity Blonds. 

I was hoping that someone would cost Lee Johnson and that Fuego would finally get his first win. Oh well. 

Angelico is too good to be wasted like this. They need to give him something to do on Dynamite. 

Really enjoyed Kris/Diamante. Adding Kris to the Best Friends has really elevated them in my eyes and I already loved them. Makes them look like a big deal. 

The little video on Red Velvet was well done and made me want to see the match on Wednesday even more. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Faulconer said: 

We really need to get Janela & Kiss a gimmick name.  Teams like The Acclaimed, Chaos Project, Varsity Blondes and probably others I forget have all received their gimmick name after Joey & Sonny were formed.  What is up with that?  Maybe they are constantly on Tony K’s list of possible breakups in the tag team division.  

They had an argument a couple of weeks ago after a loss, i taught that’s where it was headed but they seemed to have dropped it. 

On 5/18/2021 at 9:24 PM, Enforcer said:

Julia Hart is such a good addition to the Varsity Blonds. 

Certainly agreeing with you on that. I liked the Varsity Blonds but right up until they added Julia Hart to their act, I felt like there was missing a little something with Griff & Brian Jr. Now, Julia completes that package.

Just like she did tonight on Dynamite, she will help them even more to garner more sympathy on key spots (freakin' Matt Jackson who sprayed that can in poor Julia's face!)

The little feature on the Gunn Club was so well done, it made me like them. Kudos to whoever put that together. 

After Matt Hardy’s promo, I taught that they would do a Barry Horowitz and have Fuego finally win. Oh well...

JD Drake will one day get tired of the Wingmen’s shenanigans and snap on them and it will be glorious. 

Tay Conti had another great showing. Tony Khan must be looking at her with dollar signs in his eyes. 

8 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

The little feature on the Gunn Club was so well done, it made me like them. Kudos to whoever put that together. 

Meant to mention this, too - I started it thinking "Oh good grief, WHO thought we needed a feature on the Gunn Club?" and ended up feeling pretty positive towards them. Really liking these features recently. 

39 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Meant to mention this, too - I started it thinking "Oh good grief, WHO thought we needed a feature on the Gunn Club?" and ended up feeling pretty positive towards them. Really liking these features recently. 

I am really loving the Paul Wight’s sit down interviews as well. 

42 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

Not much on Dark tonight except that Sonny Kiss and Joey Janella are definitely breaking up. 

What's the deal with Janela? Before AEW, he seemed to have a fair bit of hype (well, maybe not on PWO). But he has always come across to me like a middling 1980s jobber. Actually, worse, because at least they were unique.

Sonny Kiss is the real star of that team. 

Janela got to wrestle The Great Sasuke when he was last seen in the Americas a couple or three years ago.  When I first learned of the match I really wanted to see it.  I have seen more than my fair share of indies the last twenty years.  Joey Janela started to get some sort of rep online just about when I stopped getting dvds or subs for channels.  There was a moment when I thought I was missing out on something....after seeing him in all the Darkish YouTubes online I won’t be searching out any of his matches again.  

He is the definition of shhlubby personified...or thereabouts.  He is maybe the first untrained guy who definitely fits the description.  He is also probably one of the very worst athletes I think I have ever seen in pro wrestling.  

Having said all that I see a role for a worker like Joey.  B-show JTTS and lower midcard babyface tag team with his popularity and office acumen are worth wasting a pick in the late rounds of a player draft. 

Tonight...taped a few days ago for Dark Elevation!

Jungle Boy vs JD Drake

Jack Evans vs Penta El Zero Miedo 

Thunder Rosa vs Reka Tehaka 

yo yo yo The Acclaimed vs Brandon & Brent Tate

Leyla Hirsch vs Robyn Renegade

The Varsity Blonds vs Chaos Project 

Nyla Rose & The Bunny vs Big Swole & Red Velvet

Tay Conti vs Ashley D’Amboise

Lots to sink your teeth into tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

Lineup for Elevation is out…

Cezar Bononi vs Jungle Boy

Delmi Exo vs Nyla Rose

Royce Isaacs & Jorel Nelson vs FTR

Matt Hardy vs Jora Johl

Matt Sydal vs Jack Evans

Eddie Kingston & Penta El Zero Miedo vs Vary Morales & Fuego del Sol

Shawn Spears & Wardlow vs Ryzin & Kal Herro

Renee Michelle vs Kris Statlander

Powerhouse Hobbs. Vs Darien Bengston

Bums R’ Us vs Varsity Blondes

Notes…

- Sydal vs Evans, a battle between one Generation Next member and the guy that would replace Evans when he was in Dragon Gate, is YOUR main event of the evening!

- Blondes are facing a team Bumz R’ Us, (Milo Beasley & Jay Beez), who haven’t teamed since 2011…but when they did it was for FIP and PWR.

- Jora Johl is the man known to only those who watch these shows.  He wrestled as the misleadingly titled Robo the Punjabi Lion.  He worked successive Elevation episodes 10 (May 17) and  11 (May 24) where he jobbed like the jobber he is, to Penta & QT respectively.

- Darien Bengston is somebody I have neither seen footage for or read articles about him.

- Cezar Bononi is getting better by the week.  He really has a long way to go but he looked so much better when he isn’t tripping over Luchasaurus.

• 4 weeks later...

What the heck happened here?  I have four consecutive posts but stretched out over a month’s worth of time.  

Anyhow…it’s Monday and I don’t know if this is a 45 minute show like last week or will we see every match listed from Miami’s taping last Wednesday in a two hour competitive squash-a-thon.  

The only thing I want to comment on is the gear worn by the usual loveable jobber-class in AEW.  I have to question whether Baron Black, KiLynn King and El Fuego del Sol but were secretly signed without the usual fanfare.  All three of the wrestlers’ contract status fans were most concerned about all had what appeared to be brand new gear.  Perhaps it was a parting gift from our benevolent ruler,  Tony K.?  

King, Black and Fuego are three of the hardest working wrestlers during the pandemic era at Daily’s Place for most of the last eightyish weeks.  Perhaps they have been signed after all.  

Many fans online were concerned that when AEW left Daily’s Place they would be leaving those three unsigned talents behind.  I made a post last week about some wrestlers’ weak gear game.  I actually had King and Fuego in mind when I posted that thought.  Fast forward to tonight (July 12) and those three unsigned talents all have new looking gear.  King and Fuego just look to have upgraded the quality and colour palette on what they usually wear.  Baron Black has gone from mostly black singlets to white tights for a rather striking change in appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like Eddie Kingston on commentary on Elevation this week. He has interesting things to say and he makes it sound more like the matches are really happening. I also liked how he reacts when the entrance pyro goes off, still selling the story from the exploding ring match about PTSD or whatever from fireworks. 

• 2 weeks later...