AEW Dark Megathread

Stiva

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Natural Nightmares vs Reynolds and Silver has some strong WCW Worldwide energy. A jobber team busting out whatever new offence they learned that day, a good hot tag from Dustin with the tiniest sliver of an angle running through it. NN would be a great Saturday Night super team

• 2 weeks later...

So are they running a subtle joke on WWE with Billy Gunn being called only Billy now. And when he was about to do what I think is a piledriver, which used to be one of his spot, Austin stopped him, because, you know...

That Brasilian Girl apparently has been signed ? If so, good, she's got talent and presence. Hope she feuds with Shanna and they cut promos on each other in portuguese that only @KawadaSmile will understand.

The Peter Avalon / Brandon Cutler rivalry for won will win one first is the best angle no one talks about. Just great stuff. They have to have this match and end with a draw or a double count out. 

Also enjoying what they are doing with QT and Allie, that's an interesting development. Allie is a better character than pure worker (although she's pretty solid), so that plays into her strenght.

Those squashed by Ortiz & Santana and Butcher & Blade were quite fun. Their tag team division is getting quite loaded, and hopefully when TH2 gets out of Mexico they'll finally get some push.

When I saw that match with the Brazilian girl, Jaynes I think her name was, my thoughts were "Why are they doing a jobber vs jobber match?" But I guess she is not actually supposed to be a jobber even though she lost her debut match on Dynamite. 

I was surprised Excalibur asked Allie twice about Butcher and Blade,  and both times she ignored the question. I assumed they were just going to ignore the whole "Bunny " thing.

7 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

How mutually intelligible are Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese? I think I heard once that they're pretty far apart, kind of like Quebec French vs. European French.

Well... sometimes European Portuguese sounds like Russian to me. While I can understand it most of the times, they don't pronounce the vowels the same way we do, and that makes comprehension hard.

8 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

How mutually intelligible are Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese? I think I heard once that they're pretty far apart, kind of like Quebec French vs. European French.

I don't want to discourage you but there are parts of Quebec French that are even more far apart from each other that you would think. For instance, I was born and live in an area where we have unintelligible slang for most parts of Quebec. So I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be for an untrained ear! :p

• 1 month later...

So Brian Pillman Jr. basically did a competitive squash with Spears... okay, kinda odd to me. I wonder if that was some sort of try-out match but even then, it's not like he's any worse nor less marketable than Ricky Starks (he's actually a better worker)...

Avalon & Cutler are a highlight of the show every week and Avalon really is the most underrated guy in the company at this point.

Good showing by Serpentico, Scorpio Sky gave him a lot.

Nakazawa is a one trick poney, but the reaction shots were pretty funny.

Luther vs Kazarian & Big Swole vs Raché Chanel were legit bad matches though. Chanel's gimmick is amusing to me, but Swole is just sloppy as hell and hasn't improved one bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Raché Chanel cracks me up because she's so far removed from parisian chic it's really funny. I mean, she's totally sporting the idea of what a clueless trashy american girl would think parisian chic is, which I guess is the whole point, considering all of her overdone fun maneurisms. Hopefully she stays around and gets more than Dark jobs to do. Also, Taz knows how to pronounce Paris (without the s).

On 6/5/2020 at 12:36 AM, KawadaSmile said:

Well... sometimes European Portuguese sounds like Russian to me. While I can understand it most of the times, they don't pronounce the vowels the same way we do, and that makes comprehension hard.

Sounds like when Americans try to understand someone Scottish. In theory they're speaking English but in reality they sound like someone falling down a flight of stairs.

• 3 weeks later...

I was excited for Lee Johnson/Fenix but Johnson is definitely better at being a bump freak right now since he seemed a step or two behind Fenix at all times. Dark is a good spot for him while he improves some more. Griff Garrison and Pillman Jr teaming together as the curly haired, pretty boy baby face jobbers gives me a warm 80s vibe though.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Lord....13 matches on Dark this week.

The only thing of any consequence was Hager/Stunt, Sabian/Kazarian, and Hybrid 2 vs Janela/Kiss

Now I came up on 80's wrestling television, and I still enjoy watching it to this day. But 10 squash matches (11 really, cause Hager squashed Stunt) is just too much. Dark doesn't need to be running 2 hours in the first place, but if they are going to do it, can we please get some video packages and some interviews instead of the same crew of jobbers getting squashed in meaningless matches week after week. I know Covid has screwed shit up, but this is totally unnecessary.

I am loving Dynamite nearly every week, but Dark in this format is turning into a chore.

I preferred the early Darks that had only 3 or 4 matches top in the show. I'm all for getting indy talent exposure, even in squashes but this is ridiculous at this point. If I want to watch 2 hours of squashes, I'll watch old NWA World Championship Wrestling episodes instead.

Just now, El-P said:

People on this forum have *begged* for years for the squash matches format because 80's is the LAW.

AEW does a squash matches format show on YOUTUBE, giving visibility and opportunity for talented indy workers to work and improve.

People bitch.

:lol:

I feel like if they tossed in some interviews, and some video packages like some kind of a Superstars/Saturday Night hybrid it would be just fine. But two straight hours of squash matches with nothing else but a "here's what will be on Dynamite" promo is just too much.

4 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

I feel like if they tossed in some interviews, and some video packages like some kind of a Superstars/Saturday Night hybrid it would be just fine. But two straight hours of squash matches with nothing else but a "here's what will be on Dynamite" promo is just too much.

Yeah, honestly I agree it's kinda repetitive, but this is really a Youtube show in the times of COVID, so I can let it be. I do enjoy the relaxed feel of the announcing on this show and the fact some of the indy talent is actually quite cool to watch. Some guys also are better squash workers than others. Yeah, mixing in some vignettes and such would make it so much easier to watch, but then again, it's Youtube, you do whatever you want with it, it's not like it's promoted as anything special. It's kinda like a bonus show.