Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - Dec 11, 2019

MoS

3 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I wouldnt go that far lol. I love their dynamic but it isn't legendary... yet. 

Of course it's not there yet, but they have that same dynamic where both bring out the best in each other. Cody's been great on his own but the one thing a great hero needs is a great villain pushing him.

10 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

Shawn Spears... not over. Time to put this experiment out of its misery and let Tully move on to greener pastures. 

I sense this is what is being built with Tully looking for a partner for Spears, they find someone then Tully turns on him.

I think you're right but the problem is that is time wasted that could be invested somewhere else. No point in setting up something no one will care about. That tag match lasted way too long for two marquee names vs. two nobodies. 

I hope this show picks up. With a little more than a half hour left, by far my least favorite episode yet. 

They're so close to getting the balance right, they really are. I really dug the first 45 minutes with the Jericho/Moxley promo bleeding into the Cody tag and then the MJF promo. It felt like they got over 3/4 things at once with interweaving threads and intrigue for next week. And then everything kind of ground to a halt. Sabian and Ford joining the Janela/Spears feud makes some degree of sense and God know it needs something to heat it up.

I thought this was a really strong episode. There were some acts that were underwhelming, but everything was booked with a purpose, and every match/angle progressed something. Luchasaurus-Guevera was not great but Jericho on commentary was gold, as was the post-match angle. 

Jon Moxley vs. Alex Reynolds/Chris Jericho recruiting Moxley started with 870,000 

Cody & QT Marshall vs. Butcher & Blade lost 48,000 

MJF promo/Dark Order vignette lost 8,000 

Big Swole vs. Emi Sakura/Pac promo lost 18,000 

Omega & Adam Page vs. Joey Janela & Shawn Spears lost 14,000 overall but gained 3,000 in the 18-49 demo

Ending of the Omega tag match/Brandi Rhodes/Sammy Guevara vs. Luchasaurus (Jericho on color) lost 10,000 overall but gained 10,000 in 18-49

End of Guevara vs. Luchasaurus and Jericho/Jungle Boy post-match angle lost 87,000 

Young Bucks vs. Santana & Ortiz lost 2,000 but stayed even in 18-49

Final 683,000 

Women and teenagers anemic. 
18-49 declining week to week. 
AEW won without the overrun and Spectrum Cable blackout.
AEW viewers switched to NXT before the last quarter.
Looking forward to Week 52 to see if any of the under 28s and Elite are over. And by over, I mean guaranteed total gainers, like Moxley.
AEW gets around 150K-200K DVR viewers who watch another time.

Its strange watching this and knowing the ratings breakdown from earlier in the thread. 

I had that luchasaurus match on- not bad- and you find yourself trying to figure out where it was that people thought "fuck this" ha

Not a great show by any means- i dont think i can do 2 hour shows anymore to be honest- but Moxley as ace makes more sense than most

The "issue" with Luchasaurus, and I knew that already because I've seen him in several different context, is that although he has a great look and really cool character, he's simply not a guy who's gonna have a great single match at this point. He's a big guy who does cool spots, and there's something a wee bit too choregraphed in some of his stuff (his sequences of kicks for instance reminds me of Stan Lane), lacking intensity or even intent. So yeah, not surprised about this match not clicking. That's the issue with some of these AEW guys, is that they need the ring time to get better, but they will only get the ring time on TV, so they have to put longer matches that may not click that well at first.

BTW if anyone wonders who is the new Dark host Lexi Nair, she's DDP's daughter (well, the daughter of his wife). She has done one DDPY video so I knew her from there. 

Speaking of which, that Big Swole video was straight out of DDPY's Motivational Monday videos… This stuff has DDP's fingers all over it (and yeah Tony mentionned they were taping at DDPY). Which is kinda cool I guess, although I'm always on the fence about this stuff tbh. I'm more of a fan of out there stuff (like Catrina the immortal bruja) rather than "real people" in the end.