Pro Wrestling Only

AEW All Out 2021 - September 5, 2021

gordi

It's something for the truthers to latch on to in their undying quest to never acknowledge AEW having any  success. On the other hand, all the "TV ratings and PPV numbers don't count because no one watches traditional TV/PPV anymore" is so bonkers out of touch with reality.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes this board spends way too much time talking/arguing about the lowest common denominator of wrestling fans. "Truthers", trolls, stans, etc. they are not gonna be convinced no matter what and most of them live for you to worry or talk about their hot/dumb/ takes or crazy behavior.

200k in 2021 is a huge success no matter how you slice it.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

People on Twitter "Yeah but...." 

Basically. And that was gonna happen even if All Out did 300-400k. I would expect morons to talk about "that show was like their WM and it didn't even crack half a million? Failure" or that kind of nonsense.

The one thing that strikes me this week as we got the first infamous post All Out weekly show (which got the ratings that we know), apart from the definite WCW 1996 feel of "holy shit, everybody could show up now", is the almost dream state, surrealistic quality of the whole thing. Four years ago, there was no opposition to WWE. And now, there's this weekly TV show that we almost already take for granted (not me), that has CM Punk and Bryan Danielson, and those guys from the Bullet Club who put NJPW on fire, and Adam Cole from NXT, and Sting of course, and they are beating RAW in the key demo (which doesn't exist... wink wink nudge nudge). And by the way, this show is announced by Tony Schiavone. In France this would get a Kamoulox ref, which would probably too long to explain here, but really if you said this would happen to a pro-wrestling fan in September of 2017, this would have looked like complete and total insanity. No way in hell such of thing could ever occur in the real world. And yet. Just fascinating to me.

I don't believe it's the threshold even for MMA anymore. I think 145k-150k is the breakeven. I believe for UFC, because they are protected by the ESPN deal, if they get <145k, they get a flat fee from ESPN,  while anything above that, they can pocket the residues from the revenue.