Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 5/18-5/23

sek69

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

What is this what's happening why do I always end up watching the worst segments?

What was wrong with the Deeb segment, Bubba?

She's hardly a natural on the mic, but the content was good.

4 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I dunno bubba it all just felt so awkward and all over the place. 

Here's the promo for anyone who didn't see it:

She's not a natural on the mic by any means, but she spit straight fire.

Apparently something happened during the Rampage tapings where Bryan's leg got stuck between the ring and the rampway deal and it took 10 minutes to get him out. No word on if he's hurt or not but he was limping after they got him out. 

CM Punk's T-shirt >>>>>> everything. In Texas no less.

Speaking of Texas :

10 hours ago, funkdoc said:

Fuck Texas crowds & their "WHAT" chants, just sayin

Yep. Steve Austin really ruined it for everybody when he came up with that. We're in fucking 2022 already.

I fucking called Johnny Elite is the AAA Thread ! Apparently he's gonna be Johnny Game Changer in GCW too :lol:. Cool that he's there. He's like an RVD, he's a guy you can do a lot with because of his abilities. As long as no one sells his shitty finisher, that's cool. Plus, another one of the Lucha Underground gang ! When is Ricochet's contract ending already ?

I for one thought Regal underwhelming on the mic. That comeback was pretty weak. Mox & Eddie saved the segment on the babyface side.

I did find the Serena Deeb segment pretty intriguing, more intriguing than most of what they did around the Women's title for a long while, including Rosa elbowing Dustin by accident. Good stuff there.

Fénix vs O'Reilly was awesome. O'Reilly's counter of Rey's cutter was next level kinda work. The idea that O'Reilly is a dork is amusing, since he's basically totally out of the Bryan Danielson mold. 

Page vs Takeshita was awesome. You know Page is one of those guys who wants to do the G1 again. I had not seen any Takeshita before he showed up, because I really don't watch DDT, but the guy has been impressive. When you think NJPW is still pushing guys like EVIL, yikes...

Wardlow no selling the lashing I did not see coming and it was a brillant idea. Great execution too. They have totally sold me, especially in the last few weeks, for a program I did not give a shit about. That's good work.

Speaking of getting over to an uncaring audience :

10 hours ago, funkdoc said:

The crowd didn't get Maki Itoh at all during her entrance, but by the end they were chanting her name.  Score another point for my argument in the Mercedes Martinez GWE thread...

This. Itoh is an interesting case because it makes you question about "What getting over means ?" in a context that has nothing to do with a promotion strapping a rocket on your ass or using promotional high weaponry, nor having an already strongly established status. She shows up and gets over. Always good to have people like this. 

11 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Britt selling her head for a headbutt to the midsection is yikes.

I thought it was odd too at first, but actually she was kinda covering her face because she was *that close* to cracking up, you can clearly see it. Made my day.:lol:

On the other hand that promo by Statlander was yikes. Can I get my alien back ?

That certainly was a Jeff Hardy circa TNA 2011 match or something. Even Adam Cole can't work miracles when there's no ladders involved. Tag match should be fun though, because Young Bucks are the GOAT team (and no, I don't throw that acronym as a meme, they legit are).

10 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Lol Storm's theme is a Jimmy Hart version of Barracuda? That's awesome.

AEW is three years old already? Oh my.

It is. And it is too. Amazing when you think of it. Three years is more than peak Nitro (which lasted about 2 years and a half, really). Three years is the entire Attitude Era. Three years is more than peak ECW. And without even having to think twice about it, these three years have been the best US pro-wrestling TV ever in term of match quality and consistency. By a wide, wide margin. Booking wise in term of big angle, I wouldn't say anything got close to the early nWo or Bret vs US, or even some of the best ECW angles (which really were very niche but also incredibly fresh, visceral and different). But really, in three years, they have accomplished so much more than anyone could have dreamed of when it started both in term of getting competitive with WWE (which they should not be, not with the Coca Cola of the industry) and in term of attracting major names and working with so many promotions around the world. Coach TK, hat's off to you, really, made my last few years way easier than they would have been otherwise, best years of my life as a pro-wrestling fan since 1990.

34 minutes ago, El-P said:

I for one thought Regal underwhelming on the mic. That comeback was pretty weak. Mox & Eddie saved the segment on the babyface side.

I agree, but I wonder if that was by design. We all know Regal is one of the best mic workers ever. He's also old-school. As a manager, he would not want to overshadow a current worker (Jericho) or his current allies (Mox and Eddie). What he said was was a cute introduction, and then he set up his boys to do the heavy lifting, which they should since they're the ones in the match.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Wardlow no selling the lashing I did not see coming and it was a brillant idea. Great execution too. They have totally sold me, especially in the last few weeks, for a program I did not give a shit about. That's good work.

Glad you are warming up to WARDLOW.