Pro Wrestling Only

Foley is Pod

I was loving it at first. I fell behind for a few weeks and tried yesterday to give the Vengeance episode a listen. It started off with 30 minutes of talk about his tour and selling his old shirts. I never made it to the topic.

I wish there was a way to trim some of that stuff down and get to the topics. O get why it's done that way, but I don't know. With the prominence of Patreons and paywalls, I really wish they could save that stuff for the die hards. The casuals would just like to sweep through and hear about the topic. I think.

I'll probably try to catch up at some point, but meh. This already doesn't feel like priority listening anymore.

I'm still enjoying the show, but I can imagine if I'd built up a backlog like 'savage I'd find it tough to get through it all.

I think Foley is still putting the effort in, and trying to answer the questions as fully as he can, but Conrad could be better at keeping him on topic. The Benoit discussion later in the episode was worth sticking around for. 

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I'm back on board. I think I was a little burned out on wrestling podcasts for a minute, but Foley as a storyteller is still pretty tremendous. Maybe I was in a bad mood, or maybe my tolerance for all the side bars and stuff wore a little thin. I don't know.

In any case, the Beach Blast episode was outstanding. And the Goes To TNA episode was excellent as well. There's still an abundance of good stuff to be found here, even with the occasional nonsense you'll get from Mick.

I have skipped around with this one and missed a few episodes, but I'd say it's still mostly enjoyable. I have only ever read Foley's first book, so some of this stuff may be fresher for me than others. I'm not sure. I'd still rank it up there with Jeff's as one of the best and most consistent.

19 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Is there one where he talks about ECW? That's what I would like to hear about.

Of course not. Talking about ECW would distract Conrad from going through the WWF during 1997 in excruciating detail. Because none of his other podcasts have ever covered that topic. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, they do talk about his first match with Sabu in one episode, (#12) but the majority of the shows so far have been WWF focused.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys are after some fun Foley in ECW stories, I'd highly recommend tracking down the Jerry Lynn and Mikey Whipwreck podcast Front Row Material episode on Cactus Jack. It came out over 3 years ago but Mikey shared some great Foley stories I'd never before and it really shares the lengths Foley would go to make a buck.

https://podbay.fm/p/front-row-material-with-jerry-lynn-and-mikey-whipwreck/e/1541376000

• 1 month later...

The thing that salvages the late 90s shows is the line of questions includes other things going on in WWF at the the time and the fact that Foley gives thoughtful, detailed and interesting replies (unlike JR, Prichard etc).

Foley takes time to precisely articulate his views, instead of spouting off the first thing that pops into his head to make the podcast end sooner.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:00 PM, BigBadMick said:

The thing that salvages the late 90s shows is the line of questions includes other things going on in WWF at the the time and the fact that Foley gives thoughtful, detailed and interesting replies (unlike JR, Prichard etc).

Foley takes time to precisely articulate his views, instead of spouting off the first thing that pops into his head to make the podcast end sooner.

I feel like JR just doesn't remember a lot of specific details or stories from much of his WCW/WWF days. I don't necessarily blame him. He's 70 years old and has been in the business for nearly 50 years. I'm sure a lot of stuff blended together after a while. Plus, I feel like Head of Talent Relations is one of those jobs that's so time demanding that you never have the chance to reflect.

With Bruce, it's probably a little of the above and also because now that he's back with the company, he doesn't have the time to really invest in reflecting on the topic. Plus, he has to be careful with what he says.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Survivor Series 1996 podcast, Mick and Conrad have an atrocious sidebar about the Tyrus/NWA win that's gotten a negative reaction. It had nothing to do with the topic at hand and was a frustrating listen.

Conrad kept harping on how he's non-political, and doesn't care about the politics of the fictional characters in shows he watches (using Tony Soprano as an example, although I'm not sure how that in any way compares to a Fox News talking head being the centerpiece/champion of a wrestling promotion). Foley basically agrees and keeps trumpeting how great and smart of a guy Tyrus is, and that being "right of center" doesn't automatically make him a bad person.

Conrad also said he didn't understand how so many people could have a negative reaction when they clearly don't watch NWA (and said he's guilty of not being a frequent viewer himself). And encouraged fans to give it a shot before crapping on the use of Tyrus.

Came off as totally tone deaf and unnecessary. I'm sure there's an interesting discussion to be had about the topic, but "Keep political opinions out of wrestling" doesn't work when the wrestler at hand shouts his opinions on a national TV channel that half the country finds abhorrent. 

Neither brought up Tyrus' sexual harassment allegation either...

I'm sure Tyrus is a smart guy. Like Val Venis. Or Kane. This kind of "smart".

Not the first time Foley has some cringe takes about "one of the boys". As far as Conrad goes, the guy has been exposed a long time ago as a carny mofo who will defend anything in case he'll have to work with them. And everybody knows what "non-political" means.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The new show on Herb Abrams is great. Mick pulls out a " Legends of the Fall" gag that made me laugh my ass off.

I skipped this episode because I figured between the chapter in Foley’s first book and the Dark Side of the Ring episode, Foley had pretty much covered Herb Abrams and the UWF to the point there was nothing new to say. If you’re saying it’s worth a listen, perhaps I should check it out.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...