Pro Wrestling Only

Mid-South Wrestling Revolution

kevinmcfl

Tpvk7tn.png

Thought it would be easier to get everyone got up on angles with summary format following the battling Halloween Havoc cards.

k3C3tyN.png?1

1.       Mighty Goliath and Nord the Barbarian with Colonel Buck Robley using a nasty double team move on Action Jackson, have injured another Mid-South wrestler.  Robley announced that his team will continue to injure wrestlers until Ernie Ladd grants his team a title shot.  In typical Ernie Ladd fashion, he will not be bullied and warned wrestlers facing Avalanche and Typhoon to be ready for the fight of their lives.  Ladd did cave a little when he announced the Disasters are moving up the ranks of the tag team division and that they might be earning a title shot in the near future; based on merit alone.

2.       The North American Title bout from Halloween Havoc had a lot of people talking this week.  First, JYD was very humble in his promo and he vowed to be a fighting champ and challenged all the big heels in the Mid-South.  Dog also hoped Tully Blanchard, who lost the title because of a DQ, could change his ways but he doubted.

Tully Blanchard was fuming at Ernie Ladd for changing the rules and allowing the title to change hands on a disqualification.  He went so far as to say that Ernie Ladd is just like Bill Watts who stole the NWA World title from him in his “I Quit Match” vs Magnum T.A..  This comparison had Ernie Ladd storming out to the podium where he got right in Tully’s face and made it loud and clear that he is nothing like Bill Watts.  Ladd continued on by saying that he runs the Mid-South in a way that is fair for all and announced that Tully will be having his rematch this week at the Rapides Parish Coliseum in Alexandria.  Tully was still screaming about how that doesn’t fix the problem of him losing the title on a DQ so Ladd added that the stipulation of the title changing hands on a DQ will remain in place for the rematch.  Ladd, still angry, stormed off as Tully pouted about how that’s not the point!  It’s like Tully knows that JYD won’t be the one to get disqualified.  Tully did get in one last word as he told Gordon Solie, “I told you I wasn’t El Gringo Grande.”

3.       So, what did happen when Ivan Koloff and Wahoo McDaniel continued their Russian Chain Match behind the arena curtains?  Well Ivan had no interest in telling what happened.  All he wanted to talk about was the corrupt American system that would allow a corrupt official to fast-count his nephew out of the Mid-South title and allow an obvious inferior athlete like Steve Williams to retain his title and not give the greatest athlete in the world, Nikita Koloff another title shot for a full year.  As for Wahoo, all that he would say was that for every bandage on his head, he was sure Ivan had one to.  He did give The Russian Bear credit for being one tough guy but said it was time to double down on their efforts to rid Mid-South Wrestling of their Russian problem.  Wahoo proceeded to ask JYD to partner with him this Monday night in the Rapides Parish Coliseum to take on Ivan and Vladimir Petrov.  This was a match that had JYD howling and barking with excitement. 

4.       And Tommy Rich is El Gringo Grande….  Tommy Rich, joined by his Cartel and wearing a T-Shirt that said “The Only NWA and AWA Champ in History!” joined Gordon Solie at the podium.  Solie wanted to know what has happened to the Tommy Rich he knew back in Georgia in the early 80’s.  The one that cared for others.  The one the fans loved.

Tommy Rich:  Jealousy Gordon.  Jealousy.  When I beat Harley Race back in 1981 ever said it was a fluke.  That Harley underestimated me.  Then I go out and win the AWA title and people couldn’t believe it.  Other wrestlers were jealous. 

Gordon Solie:  I think you are missing a few pieces to the story Tommy.  I mean you have terrorized JYD and Blackjack Mulligan here in Mid-South for months now.  I think we need more answers than jealousy.

Tommy Rich:  Okay Gordon.  You got a point.  Let’s talk about JYD.  You were there in Atlanta back when my good friend Ted Dibiase got piledriven 4 times; once on the concrete floor by those no good Freebirds.  Who was Ted’s partner that night?

Gordon Solie:  I believe it was JYD but it wasn’t his fau…

Tommy Rich:  A partner’s got your back.  JYD failed that night but the fans in Georgia are much like these fans in Louisiana.  They’re dumb as dirt.  They kept cheering for JYD no matter how much I had to carry him in the ring.  I vowed back then that one day, I would get even.

Gordon Solie:  What about Blackjack Mulligan?  Your Cartel has been after him for months?

Tommy Rich:  Think back Gordon… The AWA stripped me of my AWA Title because they knew nobody would ever beat me.  Not that Dirty Dog Jerry Lawler.  Not that stinkin Dirty Dick Slater and most of all, not the overgrown baby Blackjack Mulligan.  But the AWA didn’t stop any of them, from using chairs against me, taped fist, fireballs…. Whatever they wanted!  So, I’m starting to right some wrongs… Mulligan you started it and Wildfire is going to finish it.  You will be out of wrestling soon and you will have me and my Cartel to thank for it.

Gordon Solie:  One last question Tommy.  El Jefe kept saying they would do anything for money.  Where have you gotten all your money from?

Tommy Rich:  Remember what I said at the beginning… my friend Ted Dibiase!

The mention of a wrestler from the UWF brought Ladd back out and he was fuming once again and laid down the law for Tommy Rich to make sure he knew who he worked for.  Rich simply said he was excited to be here as he has been told Ladd is fair to all! 

We did also find out that during this interview that Mulligan was not seriously hurt in the attack by Tommy Rich and would return shortly.  Terry Taylor and Ron Garvin vowed to help Mulligan rid Mid-South of Tommy Rich and The Cartel. 

5.       The Freebirds-Hot Stuff Feud continues…  Gordon Solie had a good laugh at Eddie Gilbert and Missy Hyatt counting to three with the ref while they had their backs turned to the ring.  The duo though it was Rick Steiner covering Terry Gordy after their dirty deeds but instead it was Gordy covering Steiner after Michael Hayes outdid them on the dirty deeds.    Eddie Gilbert wanted Ernie Ladd to reverse the decision as Michael Hayes obviously used a slapjack on Rick Steiner but Ernie Ladd said that “Eddie Gilbert was just calling the kettle black” with his complaints of cheating.  Ernie Ladd did offer Eddie and Steiner another title shot this week at the Rapides Parish Coliseum.

6.       Ernie Ladd did announce the next big card for Mid-South Wrestling would be WrestleCade on Thanksgiving and would be at the CajunDome in Lafayette, Louisiana.  He also announced that Dr. Death’s opponent that night would be determined by a 15-man battle Royal that will be one week from Monday The Shreveport Memorial Coliseum.

SFSAsm4.png?2

1.       The two biggest questions following Halloween Havoc have to do with the title vs title match between UWF champ, Lex Luger and AWA champ, Bad News Brown.  The ending saw Woman come out and helped Lex Luger survive and get the double count out as she grabbed Bad News’ leg.  This surprised many of Luger has recently left Woman’s stable and has been feuding with Van Vader.  Woman came out on this week’s TV show and confronted Lex and said he should come back with her as it is obvious the two are better together.  She reminded Luger that it was under her management that he won the UWF title and that his anger is really directed at Downtown Bruno as he was left in charge of her stable as she temporarily left the UWF on a business matter.  She promised Luger that she wouldn’t leave again and that he was her #1 priority.  Vader seemed to shoot her a look at this comment and Luger seemed to relax a little.  Luger said he needed some time to think this over.  The fans begged him to turn her down but will have to see.  The other issue after this match involved the AWA president, Jerry Jarrett who stormed out of the Sam Houston Coliseum after the match.  While we never got a straight answer from Jarrett on this, some felt he was upset at Woman who cost his organization from controlling both titles.  While this will never be admitted, those in the know say that there was going to be a merger between the two companies and part of the deal was that Bad News would win the UWF title.  The end of this match seemed to end all chances of this from happening.  Jarrett told a few people behind close doors that Watts just used him to get a huge main event to steal some viewers from Ernie Ladd’s pay per view event on the same night.  Will Jarrett look for revenge?  Will Jarrett help Ernie Ladd in the future?  Only time will tell.

2.       The other thing that was obvious from Halloween Havoc is that Watts is going to continue forward with some of his big angles as there was no clear winner in many of the big matches.  The Million Dollar Corporation (Dibiase, Rotundo, Avalanche and Typhoon) are going to continue to feud with top babyfaces (Hacksaw Duggan, Jake “The Snake, Hercules Hernandez and Scott Steiner.  Also, Murdoch will continue to look for revenge on Woman and Big Van Vader.  What side of this feud Lex Luger falls on has yet to be decided but will be something to keep an eye on. 

3.      Is there a spy in Mid-South?  It certainly seems so as Bill Watts announced that his next big show will be Wrestlecade and it will take place on Thanksgiving night from the Sam Houston Coliseum.  This is back to back big shows that Watts has used the same name and held it on the same night as rival Mid-South Wrestling. 

Next week…. The push towards WrestleCade begins.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By hook or crook, Robley's men are closing in on that tag title shot. When did he buy the Disasters from the Sheik though?

Tully is playing a dangerous game comparing Ladd to Watts.

Mum's the word regarding what happened after Ivan & Wahoo passed through the curtain.

Good explanation by Rich, love how much history you tied in there.

Lots of mystery surrounding the AWA relationship? Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Ok now Watts is just being a copycat. But still, I'm sure both WrestleCades will be awesome.

Excellent follow up! 

Robley just might get his wish. But be careful because he'll be matching wits with Michael Hayes. 

Tully gets his rematch but still doesn't seem satisfied. Loved his last words with Gordon LOL. Such a heel. 

Wahoo's and Ivan's feud continues. It's great to see these vets involved in a great feud at this stage in their careers. 

Tommy Rich!!! The T-Shirt has been the best running gag in the game (Thanks Gene). Awesome job recapping the history and validating Tommy's points. Rich seems to be looking forward working for Ladd. Great stuff! 

Hot Stuff Inc get their rematch but I think the Freebirds are one step ahead. 

More intrigue involving Luger, Woman, the AWA and Watts. These types of stories will draw huge ratings every week. 

The Million Dollar Corporation vs. Snake, Duggan, Herc and Steiner is heading for a major showdown. 

Ladd and Watts is hotter than ever! Thanksgiving is the biggest night for wrestling and these guys are going to go toe to toe with WrestleCades! The heat is on! 

MONDAY NIGHT WRESTLING WAR!

k3C3tyN.png?1

Rapides Parrish Coliseum

Alexandria, Louisiana

Monday November 7

Bell Time: 7pm

Mighty Goliath & Nord the Barbarian with Colonel Buck Robley defeated Scott McGhee & Verlon Biggs.  This time it was Biggs who suffered the stretcher move as Nord hit the inverted suplex on Biggs and then Mighty Goliath hit the Giant Splash. 

Ron Garvin defeated TNT with a piledriver

Tommy Rich defeated Taylor Taylor with the sleeper that Rich locked in on an unconscious Taylor who was hit with a pair of brass knuckles by El Jefe who came out after Rich “accidently” whipped Taylor into the ref.

LOUISIANA TITLE MATCH:  TITLE CHANGES HANDS ON A DQ OR COUNTOUT

Junkyard Dog © and Tully Blanchard with Dark Journey wrestled to a double count-out

SEMI-MAIN EVENT:  MID-SOUTH TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

The Freebirds (Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts) with Michael Hayes vs Hot Stuff Inc (Eddie Gilbert & Rick Steiner) with Missy Hyatt ended in a No Contest as Colonel Buck Robley led Nord “The Barbarian” and the Mighty Goliath and the trio attacked anything in their way.  This basically led to 8 men hitting anything that moved. 

MAIN EVENT:  NON SANTIONED- LIGHTS OUT MATCH

Junkyard Dog & Wahoo McDaniel vs Ivan Koloff & Vladimir Petrov

JYD, willing to do anything to help his buddy Wahoo out took two matches on the same night.  After a long, drawn out match that saw many momentum changes, JYD scooped up Vladimir Petrov and connected with a Big Thump!

1…2…

WHAM:  OH MY GOD…. Wahoo McDaniel is attacking JYD!  Vlad quickly joins in and the unusual duo is all over the Dog!  Eventually Ivan is up and it is three on one.  As most of the other wrestlers have left the building, this attack is a prolonged one and when Wahoo, Ivan and Petrov eventually, leave, they leave behind a beaten JYD…. The fans are in near riot mode as security is doing all they can to keep them from attacking. 

SFSAsm4.png?2

Civic Center

Monroe, Louisiana

Monday November 7

El Santo Negro and Mike Graham wrestled to a 10-minute draw

Muta defeats “Mean” Mike Miller with a Moonsault

Chris Benoit defeated Ken Timbs with a Diving Headbutt

Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Van Vader with Woman wrestled to a double count out as the two were content to fight all over the building and forget about who was going to get the win.

UWF TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH:

Scott Steiner & Hercules Hernandez destroyed Ray “The Crippler” Stevens & The New Spoiler with Ron Wright.  Stevens and the New Spoiler were making their first appearance here in the UWF after working for Ladd in Mid-South.  The team, frustrated with Ladd for not giving them a match in Halloween Havoc, came to the UWF hoping to get back on track.  It seems Watts was using this as propaganda as he told the fans that his champs were going to be challenged by one of the best teams Mid-South has to offer. 

SEMI-MAIN EVENT: 

Jake “the Snake” Roberts & Paul Ellering defeated “Million Dollar Man” Ted Dibiase & Sheik Adnan Al Kassie is this rare wrestler + manager tag team match.  In the end, the fans were delighted as Snake got the 3 count after he connected with a DDT to the Sheik.

MAIN EVENT:  UWF TITLE MATCH

Lex Luger © defeated Mike Rotundo with the Torture Rack.  Interesting thing here was that Woman came out and tried to give some advice to Luger but it wasn’t clear if he was listening.  Woman has been “stalking” Luger in an attempt to get her stable back together again but it is unclear if Luger has accepted the offer. 

First, Mid-South.

Nord & Goliath through another body on the pile.

Garvin puts down TNT.

Wildfire gets his first win in Mid-South.

A double c.o means JYD holds on to the Louisiana title.

Robley's men are tired of waiting & storm the ring during the tag title match.

Wahoo turns his back on JYD and sides with the Russians? The fans are in shock and so am I!

Now for the UWF.

Santo & Graham get the crowd warmed up.

Muta continues to shine.

Benoit with another solid win.

The CWA has jumped ship but tag team gold continues to allude them. 

Jacob the Snakob planting the Sheik with the DDT definitely would've gotten a pop outta me.

Luger retains the title but everyone is wondering, where do things stand between he and Woman?

Ladd's card first,

Robley's monsters continue their path of destruction. 

TNT finds out Garvin is one tough customer.

Wherever Tommy Rich goes, shenanigans follow LOL. 

I wonder if Tully and JYD will ever get things settled. I'm sure Ladd will come up with a solution. 

Robley turns things way up and I'm sure now has Ladd's undivided attention. 

WHOA! Did not see this coming! Wahoo turns on JYD! NO WAY! After that beating, Tully will be the last thing on JYD's mind. Man, what a swerve! 

Onto Watt's card,

Graham and Santo get the night going.

Good win for Muta. Proves he can go with the big and bad. 

Hopefully we get more Duggan/Vader brawls. 

Not sure going to Watts was the right move for Wright's Christians. 

Seeing Adnan go down to the DDT was a satisfying moment. 

Luger retains but questions still remain.

Once again, the Ladd/Watts storyline is one of the game's best. 

k3C3tyN.png?1

Episode #20

11/12/87

Gordon Solie:  Thank you so very, very much indeed to another week of Mid-South Revolution Wrestling.  I’m Gordon Solie, and it is my pleasure to be coming to you tonight from the Irish McNeil’s Boy’s Club in Shreveport, Louisiana.  Folks, I will tell you this.  I was at the Rapides Parrish Coliseum this past Monday and in all my years in professional wrestling, I have never been so shocked.  For those of you who were not there, I want to show you a video tape replay from that event:

Junkyard Dog & Wahoo McDaniel vs Ivan Koloff & Vladimir Petrov

JYD, willing to do anything to help his buddy Wahoo out took two matches on the same night.  After a long, drawn out match that saw many momentum changes, JYD scooped up Vladimir Petrov and connected with a Big Thump!

1…2…

WHAM:  OH MY GOD…. Wahoo McDaniel is attacking JYD!  Vlad quickly joins in and the unusual duo is all over the Dog!  Eventually Ivan is up and it is three on one.  As most of the other wrestlers have left the building, this attack is a prolonged one and when Wahoo, Ivan and Petrov eventually, leave, they leave behind a beaten JYD

Gordon Solie:  Folks, I just can’t believe it.  Wahoo McDaniel has turned on Junkyard Dog and seems to have sided with Ivan Koloff.

Suddenly Wahoo and Ivan come to the podium.

Wahoo McDaniel:  Stop the nonsense, Gordon.  Wahoo has turned on nobody.  It was the lame Dog that couldn’t hold up his side of the bargain.  He is the one who missed a match and made me fight Ivan and Nikita by myself. It was JYD in another match who faked an injury and left me to do all the fighting.  And what happens?  Ernie Ladd gives JYD Louisiana Title shot after title shot.  When JYD can’t win the title, Ladd changes the rules and cheats Tully Blanchard out of a belt he deserves.  What do I get… Night after night of Dog Collar Matches and Russian Chain Matches against Ivan Koloff just so the fans are happy.  Last week you asked me what happened at Halloween Havoc when Ivan and fought through the curtains.  Well Let me tell you.  We beat each other until we had nothing left then we laid there until Ivan asked me why?  Why are we doing this?  Ernie Ladd has made us puppets.  Junkyard Dog gets the glory.  The applause.  I started thinking Ivan was right.  Maybe the American Bureaucracy is corrupt.  Maybe, I am an American Indian being made a slave to Ernie Ladd and wrestling.  Well, no more.  Ivan and I are going to look out for each other.  People like JYD, Steve Williams who stole the Mid-South title from Nikita, and Ernie Ladd aren’t going to get away with it anymore.

Ivan Koloff:  Finally, Gordon Solie.  Finally!  Someone else sees what is really going on around here.  While Nikita has seen the light and gotten away from the corruption of Mid-South, Wahoo and I are going to stand up for what is right.  No more are wrestlers like JYD going to ride on the coattails Wahoo McDaniel and Ivan Koloff. 

As Ivan and Wahoo walk off, Gordon Solie is shaking his head in disbelief.  He also informs us of that JYD will return next week as he has not been cleared by doctors yet to wrestle. 

Gordon Solie:  I will tell you that it is hard to move on after that, but we have a great show to get to tonight.  We will see Tully Blanchard taking on Baron VonRaschke, Blackjack Mulligan will be making his return to the ring for the first time since Halloween Havoc against The Brooklyn Brawler, Rick Steiner with Missy Hyatt will take on The Spoiler, Ron Garvin squares off against Larry Cheatum and in our main event, it will be Terry Taylor taking on Wildfire Tommy Rich.  That and much more.  Let’s get to the ring for our first match.

MATCH 

Blackjack Mulligan defeats The Brookly Brawler with the Brain Claw

Gordon Solie:  Blackjack, it’s good to have you back after that attack at Halloween Havoc by Tommy Rich as he shocked us all when he turned out to be El Gringo Grande.

Blackjack Mulligan:  Gordon.  Your right. It was a shock, but it shouldn’t have been.  I mean Tommy Rich is about the lowest scoundrel I could think of in the sport of Wrastlin.  The things that were going on around here were caused by a man… no not a man … a boy with no morals, no ethics and raised by a bunch of no-good rotten trash.  I mean if that doesn’t smell like Tommy Rich then I don’t know what does.

Gordon Solie:  And it seems like he has run into a little money and has decided to spend it on The Cartel.  Another group of questionable individuals.

Blackjack Mulligan:  Well, Tommy Rich… you might have a little money but I still got a little clout in this sport.  Ernie Ladd has agreed that this Monday, it will be you and El Jeffe in the ring against me and a partner of my choosing with one added stipulation, Taz, Koonan and TNT will be handcuffed to to the Mid-South President Ernie Ladd!

Gordon Solie:  Wow… I bet The Cartel behaves on Monday.  Who is your partner going to be.

Blackjack Mulligan:  Tommy Rich isn’t the only one around here who can keep a secret.  Wait till Monday!

COMMERCIAL BREAK-PROMOS FOR MONDAY @ THE CAJUNDOME IN ALEXANDRIA

MATCH

Tully Blanchard with Missy Hyatt defeats Baron VonRaschke with a roll-up and a handful of tights after Dark Journey distracted VonRaschke with a grab of the leg.

Tully Blanchard is fuming about how Junkyard Dog caused the double count-out last Monday Night at the Rapides Parrish Coliseum last Monday night to save his Louisiana Title.  Tully even goes so far to say that he thinks JYD got injured on purpose later in his match against The Russians just so he wouldn’t have to face Tully anymore.

Gordon Solie couldn’t take the lies and pointed out that it was Dark Journey who caused the double count-out and that JYD got hurt in a 3-1 attack as Wahoo McDaniel did the unthinkable.

Tully countered Solie by telling him to stop spreading rumors that he has no idea about.  Tully reminds Gordon that for over a month, Solie told everyone that he was El Gringo Grande.  Tully ends the back and forth by letting everyone know that he has moved on from JYD for now and is going to win the Battle Royal in two days and earn the Mid-South title shot against Dr. Death at Halloween Havoc. 

Gordon Solie:  Well I’m glad to see him go.  Let’s go to break.

MATCH

Rick Steiner with Missy Hyatt & Eddie Gilbert vs The Spoiler

This was a back and forth battle that saw a rather clean finish as Steiner caught The Spoiler with the German Suplex for the win.

The post-match interview was full of chaos as Missy Hyatt and Eddie Gilbert were fuming that Colonel Robley’s team interfered in their title match this past Monday against the Freebirds costing them the Mid-South tag title.  This brought out the Freebirds who were as cocky as ever and said it wouldn’t matter who the referee was that Eddie Gilbert and Rick Steiner were not winning the titles.  Period.  End of story.

Gordon Solie admits that things got a little crazy in the Rapides Parrish Coliseum this past Monday night.  Solie goes onto to say that Robley’s men have been on a wave of destruction never seen before in the Mid-South.    

The Freebirds and Hot Stuff Inc seemed upset at this, but Solie says he is just speaking the truth.  Solie lets everyone know that Erne Ladd couldn’t be here tonight but did give him the following note.

Solie reads from a piece of paper and tells everyone that Mighty Goliath and Nord “The Barbarian would get the title shot at Wrestlecade on Thanksgiving. 

The Freebirds seemed excited for the challenge, but Gilbert was throwing a hissy fit that Ladd was rewarding their interference.

Solie continue reading:  “but who they face has yet to be determined as The Freebirds and Eddie Gilbert will have one last shot at those titles this week in the CajunDome”

Eddie Gilbert shook his head in acceptance and told Michael Hayes that his time with the belts is all over and no matter how much he cheats, Hot Stuff is leaving with the titles.

Gordon Solie: (addressing Gilbert) Interesting that you accused Michael Hayes of cheating.  (Solie continues reading the note from Ladd) “there will be a special guest referee to keep everyone in order!

Eddie Gilbert:  Fine by me

Michael Hayes:  Fine by me

Gordon Solie:  and that Special Guest Referee will be ….

The fans explode as a man coming from behind Eddie Gilbert in a referee shirt is none other than the Dr. of Desire, Tom Prichard!

Eddie Gilbert acted as if he saw a ghost and then he began to argue like never before how Prichard wasn’t a referee and would never be fair.

Solie shrugged and said that Missy and Eddie said a month ago that Prichard would never wrestle again but said nothing about referring.  Good Luck everyone!

The Freebirds were grinning from ear to ear and Missy and Gilbert were nearly in tears.  As we went to break, Prichard took a step towards Missy who ran behind Eddie.

MATCH

Ron Garvin defeats Larry Cheatum with the “Hands of Stone”

A quick post-match interview saw Ron condemn Tommy Rich and the Cartel.  One interesting fact was that Solie asked him if he would be Blackjack’s partner this Monday against Wildfire and El Jefe.  Ron Garvin simply denied it and said that already had a match this Monday against Taz.

MAIN EVENT MATCH

Terry Taylor vs Tommy Rich

On his way to the ring, Terry Taylor stopped by the podium and gave a similar interview to Ron Garvin.  He also denied that he was going to be Blackjack’s partner on Monday.  He told the fans that he would do his best right now to try and make sure that Tommy Rich wasn’t 100% going into that match.

With Taylor waiting in the ring, Tommy Rich stopped by Gordon Solie with El Jefe at his side.  Rich was full of laughter at the thought that Ron Garvin and Terry Taylor had turned down Blackjack.  He went on to say that this proves that Blackjack doesn’t have as much clout in this sport as he thought.  Wildfire continues by saying that the rest of the locker room knows what will happen to them if they tag with Blackjack and get in Wildfire’s way.

Solie has had enough of the new Tommy Rich and reminds him that Terry Taylor is waiting for him in the ring.  We get a few good minutes of wrestling when Terry Taylor catches fire.  He nails Wildfire with the flying forearm and looks to have Rich in trouble.

You guessed it… El Jefe hits the ring and so does the rest of the Cartel.  Taz, TNT and Koonan are all over Taylor.  Here comes Ron Garvin and Blackjack Mulligan…

The Pier 6 Brawl is in full effect, but the Wildfire and the Cartel still hold the numbers advantage!

Gordon Solie:  Here comes… yes… her comes Dr. Death!  Steve Williams clothesline TNT…Another clothesline on Taz.  Forearm by Taylor on El Jefe.  Hands of Stone with a right to Konnan.  The Cartel is all outside the ring.

Dr. Death picks up Tommy Rich… WHAM… Oklahoma Stampede.  Blackjack Mulligan locks in the claw on Tommy Rich.

Garvin, Taylor and Dr. Death stand guard and dare the Cartel to come back in the ring but they want no part of it.

With Rich flailing around under the power of the claw….

Gordon Solie:  Wow… I guess we know who’ll be Blackjack’s partner in the Cajundome and I couldn’t think of anybody better that Dr. Death.  Folks, we are out of time but remember to get your tickets for Monday in Lafayette.  So long from the Pelican State.

MONDAY NIGHT AT THE CAJUNDOME IN ALEXANDRIA

JT Southern vs Brooklyn Brawler

Ron Garvin vs Taz

Tully Blanchard with Dark Journey vs The Spoiler

Terry Taylor vs Ivan Koloff

GRUDGE MATCH

Blackjack Mulligan & Dr. Death Steve Williams vs Wildfire Tommy Rich & El Jefe Jose Estrada

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

MID-SOUTH TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH 

The Freebirds vs Hot Stuff Inc with Special Referee Tom Prichard

20 Man Battle Royal

Winner Gets Mid-South Title Shot at Wrestlecade

Wahoo didn't feel like he was getting what he deserved so now he & Ivan are gonna take what's rightfully theirs.

Blackjack's bringing in backup to take on Tommy and the Cartel with TNT & Konnan cuffed to Ladd.

Tully has outgrown the Louisiana title and is chasing Dr Death and the top prize.

Freebirds Hot Stuff Inc get to settle their score in the Cajundome with Dr Tom as the ref. But the winners won't be able to celebrate for long because Robley's monsters are waiting at WrestleCade.

Garvin tunes up for Taz.

Dr Death and Mulligan are a nightmare duo for Tommy and El Jefe.

Big card coming to Alexandria.

I always loved a heel's logic when he turned. In his mind, Wahoo came up with some very valid points. I think Wahoo and Ivan will be out to prove something. Keep an eye on them. This angle will give these two vets a serious rejuvenation. 

Who will Mulligan's partner be? Wow, 3 men handcuffed to Ladd. But this is the Big Cat we're talking about LOL. 

LOL, I love Tully and Gordon's dynamic together. They play off each other so well. Tully's moving on to bigger things. 

Steiner continues to impress as Hot Stuff's muscle. 

Ladd once again makes everybody happy, until Prichard makes his return to be the special ref. This is going to be good. 

Nobody gets up from the hands of stone. Just ask Taz. 

Rich vs. Taylor is a great TV main event. Of course it ends in chaos. The fans get to cheer big time as Williams hits the Oklahoma stampede on Rich and Mulligan follows with the claw! Come Monday, Rich and El Jefe are in serious trouble. 

The Road to Wrestlecade is going to be a wild ride. 

Tpvk7tn.png

Promoted by Ernie Ladd

The Cajundome 

Lafayette, Louisiana

Monday November 14, 1987

Before we get to the show, I thought it important to report on a news story that ran in all the major papers in Louisiana this past Sunday morning.

“For those of you who were watching last night’s episode of Mid-South Wrestling on WTBS from Atlanta and were wondering where Ernie Ladd was, well you didn’t have to wait long.  Ernie Ladd was seen later that evening in the Sam Houston Coliseum during the UWF Wrestling program which also airs on WTBS and is promoted by Cowboy Bill Watts.  It seems Ladd was angry at Watts for “stealing the name of his next pay-per-view show, titled Wrestlecade.  Ladd, confronted Watts on live TV and grabbed the former wrestler by the collar and seemed ready to punch him.  Security rushed in and took away Mr. Ladd in handcuffs.  For those of you unfamiliar with the problems between Ladd and Watts, it all stems from both promoters wanting to control the lucrative Louisiana territory.  This territory was once controlled by only Watts but Ladd started his own company claiming that Watts was biased toward certain wrestlers including a group of “good ol boys” who the fans seem to cheer for.  While Ladd did start the evening in the Sam Houston Coliseum, he ended it in a Houston jail.  Ladd did make bail this morning but vowed this isn’t over.  When asked for a comment, Watts simply stated that around here, bad things happen to people like Ladd.  Especially when they start things the people don’t want started.”    

Tonight’s Matches

Brooklyn Brawler defeated JT Southern with a swinging neckbreaker after he mule kicked Southern in the groin. 

Ron Garvin defeated Taz by submission with the Boston Crab.  Garvin escaped just before he was attack by the rest of the cartel.

Tully Blanchard with Dark Journey defeated The Spoiler with the slingshot suplex after Dark Journey shook the ropes causing the Spoiler to fall as he was getting set to hit his Top-Rope Arm twist and chop.

Ivan Koloff defeated Terry Taylor after Wahoo McDaniel came to ringside and distracted everyone which allowed Koloff to load up with some foreign object before clobbering Taylor.

GRUDGE MATCH

Blackjack Mulligan & Dr. Death Steve Williams vs Wildfire Tommy Rich & El Jefe Jose Estrada

(The rest of the Cartel is handcuffed to Ernie Ladd)

Oh, the chaos and carnage!  Give Ernie Ladd some credit as the Cartel were well behaved as they were  handcuffed to their boss.  Inside the ring, we had some back-and-forth action where Wildfire and El Jefe were dirty enough to keep Blackjack and Williams at bey … at least for a little while.  As Mulligan and Dr. Death gained momentum, there was a roar from the crowd… It seems like Cowboy Bill Watts, angry with Ladd for trespassing on his show, showed up in Lafayette and headed straight for Ernie Ladd.  Ladd, handcuffed to the Cartel, could not protect himself.  Watts gets in numerous big blows and has Ladd completely at his mercy before security rushes down to ringside.  This time, it is Watts being taking away in hadncuffs.  He is taken off to a Lafayette jail but the damage was done.  As for the action in the ring, it got a little bonzo-gonza with all 4 men in the ring.  This is where Mulligan took advantage of his size 18 show and connected with a big boot sending Wildfire to the floor.  This was all Williams and Blackjack needed as Dr. Death caught El Jefe with the Oklahoma Stampede.  Wildfire seemed to have time to come in and help El Jefe but he simply walked away.  I am sure that we will hear more about this match on the next TV show as this way has some severe repercussions.

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

The Freebirds vs Hot Stuff Inc with Special Referee Tom Prichard

This was a wild bout both inside and outside of the ring.  Missy Hyatt and Michael Hayes caused almost as much damage as the 4 men actually wrestling.  In the end, Rick Steiner caught Buddy Roberts with the German Suplex but, Tom Prichard, new to refereeing, seemed to worry more about getting Eddie Gilbert to hold on to the tag rope that making the count and Roberts kicked out at 2 2/3.  Just a few seconds later, Steiner went to tag in Hot Stuff but Gilbert was still arguing with Tom Prichard.  This allowed Roberts to roll up Steiner and go for the count.  This Tom Prichard, new to referring, might have given the fastest 3-count in history!  Revenge by Tom Prichard or just inexperience?  We will find out on the next TV show. 

Main Event: 

20 Man- Over-the-Top-Rope Battle Royal

‘Winner Gets Mid-South Title Shot at Wrestlecade

In a bit of a surprise, Tully Blanchard outlasted some of the biggest men in all of wrestling to earn the title shot at Wrestlecade.  What is not surprising is the way that Tully managed to do this.  As the bell sounded starting the match, Tully simple rolled out of the ring under the bottom rope and hid under the ring.  With 18 men eliminated, Terry Gordy thought he had earned the title shot against his former tag team partner, Steve “Dr. Death” Williams.  As Gordy celebrated in the ring, Terry snuck up behind him and shoved him over the top rope.  Tully then high-tailed it to the locker room before Gordy could recovery and get revenge. 

The anger between Ladd & Watts leads to a physical confrontation and the Big Cat spends time in the cooler. Was I supposed to read Watts comment as slightly racist?

Brawler wins one for Brooklyn.

Garvin gets his win and nails. Smart move.

Wahoo helps his new comrade to a victory.

Watts returns the favor with a blindside on Ladd! Meanwhile Rich leaves El Jefe high and dry. Not sure Tommy wants to piss off the Cartel.

I'm sure Prichard just made an honest mistake.

What a night for Tully! A win over the Spoiler and he nets himself a title shot.

Ladd has guts going to a Watts show alone. He goes to jail but made a huge statement.

Brawler with a sweet finish. 

Garvin can knock you out or make you give up. 

Dark Journey has really earned her money.

Wahoo seems very loyal to Ivan. I'm sure Taylor is going to want a piece of Wahoo. 

Watts chose his attack wisely. This situation is beyond the law now. I almost forgot that Williams and Mulligan did a number on El Jefe. Classic move by Tommy. 

Prichard gets his revenge and can easily play the inexperience card LOL. 

Tully pulls off the ultimate heel move to earn a title shot at WrestleCade. He's going to have to pull out every heel trick he's got to take the title away from Williams. 

eMx4jo7.png

k3C3tyN.png?1

IvqlnLB.png?2

NOVEMBER 24, 1987

CAJUMDOME

LAFAYETTE, LOUISIAN

(Can be seen on pay per view)

(Promoted by Ernie Ladd)

Rick Steiner with Missy Hyatt vs “The Canadian Strongman” Bill Kazmaier

Rick Steiner has been on a roll of late and this match is to see how well he does against the big and powerful Kazmaier.

Ron Garvin & Terry Taylor vs Ivan Koloff & Vladimir Petrov

Without a lot of time between the big Halloween card and Thanksgiving, there is not a lot of background here.  In this match, we get 4 big names into the card in a quality match that would have the fans on the edge of their patriotic seats.

STREET FIGHT RULES

Eddie Gilbert with Missy Hyatt vs “The Doctor of Desire” Tom Prichard

After nearly strangling Tom Prichard to death back in September, Prichard was healed enough to get some revenge on Eddie and Missy when, as the special guest referee, he might have fast-counted Hot Stuff Inc out of the Mid-South Tag Team title.  Eddie and Missy were screaming about this on the last TV show, but Ladd reminded them that here in Mid-South Wrestling, issues get solved in the ring.  Later, after the bout, Prichard, asked for and was granted, the Street Fight stipulation. 

The Freebirds (Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts) with Michael Hayes

vs Mighty Goliath & Nord “The Barbarian” with Colonel Buck Robley

Robley’s monsters have been going around injuring wrestler after wrestler with the idea being that they would take wrestlers out until they were granted a tag team title match.  The Freebirds never backed down from this match and this is going to be a war with so many unanswered questions.  Can Terry Gordy match the power of Nord “The Barbarian”?  Will Michael Hayes outsmart Colonel Robley?  Will Mighty Goliath be agile enough to handle the speed of the Freebirds?  Will Buddy Roberts survive against the size of his opponents?  This one will be interesting with so many possible outcomes.

Blackjack Mulligan vs Tommy Rich

(If Mulligan wins, the Cartel is forced to leave Mid-South Wrestling)

(If Tommy Rich wins, Blackjack Mulligan must leave Mid-South Wrestling)

(The Cartel is banned from the ringside)

Tommy Rich, through the Cartel, has been terrorizing Mulligan for a few months now.  This all goes back to a feud Rich and Mulligan had back in the AWA when Wildfire held the AWA title.  Once Rich got to Mid-South, we saw him attack Mulligan with a sledgehammer.  Mulligan got a little revenge when he partnered with Dr. Death to put down Wildfire and El Jefe.  Now jobs are on the line and Wildfire must face the big man alone. 

LOUISIANA TITLE MATCH

Junkyard Dog © vs Wahoo McDaniel

Fans were shocked when Wahoo turned on JYD at Halloween Havoc and sided with Ivan Koloff.  Also shocked was JYD who demanded this match.  Wahoo was very excited that just a few weeks after he logically split with JYD, he gets a title shot.  Wahoo went on say that no matter how much howling, barking, and peeing on fire hydrants that JYD does, he isn’t leaving Thanksgiving with the Louisiana title. 

MID-SOUTH TITLE MATCH

Steve “Dr. Death” Williams © vs Tully Blanchard with Dark Journey

The question here is Tully Blanchard the luckiest man in wrestling or the most unlucky man in wrestling.  Tully Blanchard lost the NWA World title to Magnum T.A. in an “I quit match” that he swears he did not quit.  Tully wins the Louisiana Title belt when the ref failed to see Dark Angel do some serious cheating.  Tully’s title reign was so tainted by scandal that Ernie Ladd had to change the rules of defense for the title belt.  Tully becomes the first Louisiana champion ever to lose the title by disqualification.  Tully somehow wins a 20-man over the top battle royal by hiding under the ring to earn a Mid-South title shot on Thanksgiving.  Lucky… sometimes.  Unlucky… sometimes.  Now he has luckily earned a title match in the Cajundome.  Unlucky, the title shot is against Dr. Death Steve Williams.

SFSAsm4.png?2

b88hlKo.png?1

NOVEMBER 24, 1987

SAM HOUSTON COLISEUM

HOUSTON, TX

(Can be seen on live TV)

“All American” Steve Cox vs Rip Rogers

It seems like Steve Cox had fallen out of grace with Bill Watts of late.  “Dr. Death” Steve Williams brought in Steve Cox as his protégé and when Dr. Death left to wrestle for Ernie Ladd, Steve Cox stopped getting some big matches.  Well, here is his chance as he is in the opening bout of Wrestlecade.  Rogers, who has been on a losing streak of late, will be his arrogant self in this match with a lot at stake for both men.  The loser may find himself at the bottom of the roster before the Thanksgiving turkey has worn off.

Chris Benoit vs El Santo Negro

Chris Benoit has been on a roll of late and is the favorite in this bout, but El Santo Negro matches up well against the young Benoit.  This should be a fast-paced bout with good technical skill from both wrestlers.  It may come down to Benoit’s grit vs El Santo Negro’s willingness to bend the rules.

Mike Graham vs Ray “The Crippler” Stevens with Ron Wright

Two experienced wrestlers in this bout with Ron Wright being the wild card.  Many wrestlers in the Mid-South have felt the effects of Ron Wright’s chisel.  The question isn’t if Wright will interfere but when.  This puts a lot of pressure on Mike Graham to be on his toes as well as the ref who might need eyes in the back of his head for this.  This is a big match for both men.  The winner has a chance to move out of that mid-card status while the loser might be relegated to “B” card status. 

UWF TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

Scott Steiner & Hercules Hernandez © vs Typhoon & Earthquake with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie

This is a rematch from Halloween Havoc where the champs won the vacated title.  With Watts just redeveloping his tag team division, these are clearly the two top teams.  While it may seem redundant to hold the same match 3 weeks later, it is a title match with 4 of the biggest names in the UWF.  Throw in the Shiek and you have instant heat.  Expect the unexpected in this one.

Muta vs Vader with Woman

Here we have a match of complete opposites.  Muta and his speed, aerial tactics and escapeabilty are going to give Vader fits.  Vader with his size, array of power moves and nastiness are going to be things Muta has never seen before.  Both wrestlers have been on a roll lately and the winner may rise to Main event status.  Woman could be the difference in this one, but fans have been heard saying how good she would look with the Green Mist sprayed all over her face.

TEXAS TORNADO MATCH

“Hacksaw” Jim Duggan & Jake “The Snake” Roberts with Paul Ellering

Vs

“Million Dollar Man” Ted Dibiase & Mike Rotundo with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie

To put this in simple terms, this is the biggest feud in the UWF right now.  Ted Dibiase’s Million Dollar Corporation facing Jake the Snake and Hacksaw Duggan is the moneymaker on this card.  With out Hacksaw’s TV title and Dibiase’s North American title on the line, you can expect that this match will lead to many others down the road.  Throw in the Tornado Match rules of all 4 men in the ring at the same time and the fans will get all the chaos they can handle. 

UWF TITLE MATCH

Lex Luger © with Woman vs Dick Murdoch

It looks like Luger had made his choice to once again turn his back on the fans and side with Woman.  Murdoch, who has been feuding with anyone associated with Woman for months now was more then willing to take this match on short notice.  That being said, even if Luger comes out on top of this one, he will know that he was in a war!

Once again two stacked cards that would have me torn as to which one to choose. I will say I think the cards are more evenly balanced in terms of story this time.

Were ppv's available after they originally aired at this point? Because if so I might have ended up watching Watt's card live then watching Ladd's on repeat.

eMx4jo7.png

k3C3tyN.png?1

IvqlnLB.png?2

NOVEMBER 24, 1987

CAJUMDOME

LAFAYETTE, LOUISIANA

(Can be seen on pay per view)

Rick Steiner with Missy Hyatt vs “The Canadian Strongman” Bill Kazmaier

Rick Steiner defeats Bill Kazmaier with a bridging German suplex in a bout that saw some huge power moves.  Missy did her best to be a distraction, but this was just two big men doing battle.  It was impressive to see Steiner get the mostly clean win over someone like Kazmaier

Ron Garvin & Terry Taylor vs Ivan Koloff & Vladimir Petrov

Ron Garvin & Terry Taylor defeated Ivan Koloff & Vladimir Petrov in this back-and-forth battle that saw a double team attempt by the Russians backfire.  Ivan was holding Garvin and Petrov came in with a big elbow but hit Ivan instead of Garvin.  This allowed Garvin to make the tag to Taylor who whipped Ivan into the ropes and caught his with the flying forearm.  Garvin hit Petrov with a big right hand preventing him from making the save as the ref completed the three count.  After the bout, Ivan was not pleased with Petrov and actually shoved him away and told him to leave the ring.  Petrov, like a good soldier, took the abuse from Ivan and left the ring.  We will see if Ivan needs a cooling off period or if Petrov is off to Siberia.

STREET FIGHT RULES

Eddie Gilbert with Missy Hyatt vs “The Doctor of Desire” Tom Prichard

Eddie Gilbert defeats Tom Prichard with the Hot Shot after Brian Adams rushed the ring, in this No DQ bout, and nailed Prichard with a Superkick.  While Prichard did control most of the bout and did get some measure of revenge on Gilbert, it seems that Prichard didn’t think things through when he asked for the Street Fight Rules which allowed Eddie to get help from his fellow Hot Stuff Inc stablemate. 

The Freebirds (Gordy & Roberts) with Michael Hayes vs Mighty Goliath & Nord “The Barbarian” with Col. Buck Robley

For the second straight match, Hot Stuff Inc played a major role in the outcome of the match.  In this back-and-forth match, the Freebirds finally seemed like they had put everything together, Eddie Gilbert, Rick Steiner and Missy Hyatt came to the ring and went right after Michael Hayes.  Terry Gordy, who was not in the match at the time, quickly jumped off the apron to help Michael Hayes.  The ref was distracted by all of the chaos on the outside, did not see Colonel Buck Robley come from behind and hit Buddy Roberts with the loaded forearm to the back of the head.  The sent Roberts staggering across the ring, right into the arms of Nord “The Barbarian.  Nord executed a perfect inverted suplex and Roberts was basically out cold.  The ref turned around and saw the pin attempt and quickly made the three- count.  Eddie Gilbert has once again caused a serious problem for the Freebirds.  This time it cost them their Mid-South tag team title!

Blackjack Mulligan vs Tommy Rich

(If Mulligan wins, the Cartel (El Jefe, Taz, TNT and Koonan) is forced to leave Mid-South Wrestling.

If Tommy Rich wins, Blackjack Mulligan must leave Mid-South Wrestling)

(The Cartel is banned from the ringside)

Blackjack Mulligan wins the brutal match by DQ as Tommy Rich threw a fireball into the face of Mulligan.  Mulligan might have got the win, but he looked to be seriously injured.  Terry Taylor and Ron Garvin rushed out with water and a towel and tried to help Mulligan to the back.  Mid-South has finally rid itself of the Cartel but at what cost? 

LOUISIANA TITLE MATCH

Junkyard Dog © vs Wahoo McDaniel

JYD defeats Wahoo McDaniel by DQ as the ref caught Wahoo using an illegal object.  Wahoo tried to hide the object in his trunks, but the ref caught him in the third time.  When Wahoo was disqualified, he went crazy.  He used the object on both the ref and the Dog to leave bloody carnage in the ring. 

MID-SOUTH TITLE MATCH

Steve “Dr. Death” Williams © vs Tully Blanchard with Dark Journey

Both men did a great job of using their skills to make this a great match.  Tully used a mix a questionable tactics along with good technical skills while Dr. Death was full speed ahead with power moves that awed the crowd.  Throw in Dark Journey and her dirty deeds and this match could have gone either way.  At about the 25-minute mark, Tully went for the slingshot suplex but it was blocked by Williams who quickly reversed it and hit the Oklahoma Stampede.

1…2… Kick Out

A second Oklahoma Stampede

1…2…  Dark Journey places Tully’s leg across the bottom rope to break the count.

A third stampede!

Dr. Death points at Dark Journey first to warn her not to get involved and then covers Tully

1…2…3… Kickout by Tully just after the count was completed.

Dr. Death retains his title but give Tully some credit.  He just proved that on he just might be the man to take that title from Williams. 

eMx4jo7.png

SFSAsm4.png?2

b88hlKo.png?1

NOVEMBER 24, 1987

SAM HOUSTON COLISEUM

HOUSTON, TX

(Can be seen on live TV)

“All American” Steve Cox defeated Rip Rogers

Steve Cox defeated Rip Rogers with the Oklahoma Stampede.  Rogers thought he had Cox right where he wanted him after a big body slam, but Rogers spent too much time flaunting his body to the women in the crowd.  He never noticed that Cox had recovered and was up, ready to attack.  Interesting that Cox used Dr. Death’s finisher.  Was this done as a tribute to his former mentor or was he rubbing it in his face.  We will have to wait and see.

Chris Benoit vs El Santo Negro

Give both men credit as they both went 100%.  The end came with Benoit hit the diving headbutt after El Santo Negro went for a missile dropkick, but Benoit hooked the ropes.

Ray “The Crippler” Stevens with Ron Wright vs Mike Graham

Stevens defeats Mike Graham with the Bombs Away after Wright “accidently” hit Graham with the chisel while trying to “help” him back into the ring.

UWF TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

Scott Steiner & Hercules Hernandez © vs Typhoon & Earthquake with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie

In this rematch from Halloween Havoc, we get a similar bout.  Both teams are just two big not to have the chance to wrestle from the top.  The one difference is that it seems easier for Steiner and Hernadez to get the momentum back when they are in trouble.  Earthquake and Typhoon can’t seem to get off the mat when they are down.  In the end, Steiner, who did a nice job of playing the face in peril, escaped the wrong corner and made the tag to Hercules who came in and was cleaning house.  Typhoon was tossed through the middle rope out onto the floor.  This allowed for an amazing double team move in the end where Steiner and Hercules dragged Earthquake to his knees and then hit a face first suplex on the big man for the win.  Sheik got hit with a nasty elbow by Steiner as he tried to rush in to stop the count.

Muta vs Vader with Woman

Give Muta all the credit in the world as he controlled much of this bout against the 400-pound Vader. The problem was that Muta was alone while Vader had Woman.  At one point, she jumped up on the apron but Muta was ready.  He quickly sprayed the Green Mist into her face, and she went sprawling off the apron to the floor. As she was rolling around on the floor, writhing in pain,  Vader caught Muta from behind and hit a powerbomb that nearly broke Muta in half.

1…2…3!  Vader survives as a officials come out to try and help Woman to the back.

TEXAS TORNADO MATCH

“Hacksaw” Jim Duggan & Jake “The Snake” Roberts with Paul Ellering

Vs

“Million Dollar Man” Ted Dibiase & Mike Rotundo with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie

An absolute wild brawl that saw an even crazier ending.  With all 4 men in the ring for the entire time we saw both teams have time on top with lots of double teaming and momentum changes.  At times, when the action spilled out onto the floor. Ellering and Sheik did not hesitate to get involved.  The end saw Hacksaw connect with a big football tackle on Rotundo but before the ref could make the count, the unexpected happened!  On the same night that the Cartel was forced out of Mid-South Wrestling, they appeared in the UWF.  Taz, Koonan, TNT and El Jefe all hit the ring and went right after Hacksaw and Jake “The Snake.”  In this no DQ match, there was nothing the ref could do.  The fan favorites soon fell victim to the numbers game.  The final move saw Dibiase connect with a loaded right-hand punch with that black glove!  The big question here is did Dibiase pay the Cartel.  Tommy Rich did announce to the Mid-South fans that it was Dibiase who had paid for their services while Rich was using them? 

UWF TITLE MATCH

Lex Luger © with Woman vs Dick Murdoch

Luger prevailed in this big brawl but needed help.  While Murdoch was in control, Woman jumped up on the apron to distract the ref.  This is when Vader rushed the ring and hit Murdoch with a chair in the head.  Luger took advantage and covered Murdoch as Woman jumped down to the floor to allow the ref to make the three-count. 

It seemed like Bill Watts was coming to the ring to make some announcement.  Speculation was that he was going to reprimand Woman and Vader for their actions.  Before Watts reached the ring, he was attacked from behind by the Cartel!  After a pretty good beating, the officials and wrestlers rushed out to help their boss.  As the show was fading to black on WTBS, the Cartel was escaping through the crowd.

Ladd's show starts with a impressive win over Kazmaier.

After joining up with Wahoo, Ivan may have decided that Petrov is surplus material.

Adams helps his leader to a win.

Thanks to Hot Stuff Inc, Robley's monsters have their long-sought tag gold.

Rich costs the Cartel their job but may have taken Mulligan out anyway.

Wahoo gets caught in the act and gets so pissed he takes everybody out.

Tully fought a hell of a fight but Dr Death retains....for now.

Watts' show begins with Cox getting back on track and perhaps sending a message to his old teacher.

Benoit wins a barnburner.

How nice of Wright to try and "help" Steven's opponent back in the ring.

Steiner & Hernandez retain their titles and seem to be really jelling as a team.

Bad news: Muta lost. Good news: Woman got the mist!

The Cartel didn't have any trouble finding a new employer.

Luger retains thanks to Woman & Vader. Throw in the Cartel jumping Watts and we've got a perfectly chaotic UWF ending.

Ladd's Cade is up first.

Steiner wins the battle of the powerhouses. A lot of wrestlers are on my radar in 88 and Steiner is one of them.

Taylor and Garvin win one for USA and Uncle Ivan isn't happy.

Prichard gets his licks in but like Playboy Rose in PCW, Eddie always has a plan. 

The Freebirds/Hot Stuff Inc feud is now in full gear. Robley's Monsters have been built up so well that they deserve a run with the titles. 

Mulligan gets the technical win and it's enough to send the Cartel packing. However, huge price to pay. 

JYD retains but is left a bloody mess. We've got a hot feud going into 88. 

Damn, Tully sure proved his toughness. It took 3 Oklahoma Stampedes to put him away. I'm enjoying the Williams reign. 

Ok, let's see if Watts can top this.

Nice bit of intrigue with Cox.

Benoit edges out a win over Santo in a thriller.

Wright's chisel strikes again. 

Steiner and Herc show their title win wasn't a fluke. 

Vader vs. Muta is a great clash of styles match. Vader gets the win but at least Woman got the mist. 

WHAT?!?! The Cartel shows up? Wasn't expecting this and neither were Jake and Duggan. 

It took a distraction from Woman and a chair shot from Vader for Luger to retain against Murdoch. An even bigger story happens as the Cartel attacks Watts!!! This is big! Great way to end the show. Nuclear heat! 

Sooner or later, Ladd and Watts are heading for an explosive showdown. 

Mid South has got a lot of big feuds running wild. Anytime the Freebirds can get matched up with another big crew... it means some good stuff. JYD is left in shambles but we know he'll find a way to put the pieces together in a big way.  Jake and Duggan as a duo is something I would have liked to see more of IRL. Jake and Duggan v Rude and Andre would have been some fun matches. We also see a young Vader who looks like a monster against the mystery of Muta. Ladd and Watts ... we know they have to clash... when and where? What will the stakes be? What will be the fall out?

• 2 weeks later...

hOX89Bf.png

FALL-OUT FROM WRESTLECADE

1.       Enough is Enough

The feud between Ernie Ladd and Bill Watts is out of control.  In the past week, both men have physically attacked the other.  Blood has been drawn.  It seems Ernie Ladd actually paid a gang, the Cartel, to take Watts out.  Security guards have been called in twice.  The police are investigating.  While this seems to be good for the wrestling fans in Louisiana, it is actually hurting the national audience of WTBS.  It seems that fans have chosen sides.  Those who like Cowboy Bill Watts tune into UWF Wrestling but not Mid-South Wrestling while those who side with Ernie Ladd do just the opposite.  What is the solution? 

2.       The Solution- The Battle of the Bayou

It seems like Ted Turner is feed up with Bill Watts and Ernie Ladd and called each to his offices in Atlanta this week for a little heart to heart.  Ted Turner informed both promoters that Superstation 17 would only be carrying one of their territories beginning in 1988.  This upset both Ladd and Watts as they know that a national cable station is the cash cow.  Turner informed them that he has been in contact with other promotions and that if they turned down his offer, he would go elsewhere to provide their viewers with weekly wrestling shows on WTBS.  Before they even heard his stipulations, Watts and Ladd agreed to whatever idea he had.  Ted Turner’s offer was simple… an inter-promotional show, The Battle of the Bayou, to air on December 17rd on WTBS.  Whichever promotion wins the main event, gets the TV contract while the losing promotion agrees not to promote wrestling in Louisiana or Texas ever again without the other’s consent.  Both men, took a deep breath and realized they had no other option and agreed.

3.       Battle of the Bayou

Jake “The Snake Roberts” with Paul Ellering vs Mike Rotundo with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie

6 MAN TAG TEAM TORNADO ELIMINATION MATCH

Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy & Tom Prichard vs Eddie Gilbert, Rick Steiner & Brian Adams with Missy Hyatt

TV TITLE MATCH

Hacksaw Jim Duggan © vs Tully Blanchard

LOUISIANA TITLE MATCH

Junkyard Dog © vs Vader with Woman

NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH

Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie vs Ron Garvin

UNIFICATION TITLE MATCH

UWF TAG CHAMPS VS MID-SOUTH TAG CHAMPS

Scott Steiner & Hercules Hernandez vs Mighty Goliath & Nord “The Barbarian”

UNIFICATION TITLE MATCH

UWF CHAMP VS MID-SOUTH CHAMP

Lex Luger with Woman vs Dr. Death Steve Williams

MAIN EVENT

Lumberjack Match

(For the WTBS TV Contract & control of Louisiana Wrestling)

“Cowboy” Bill Watts vs “The Big Cat” Ernie Ladd

4.       The fate of the Cartel is sealed….

The Cartel has been arrested.  While they are claiming that Ernie Ladd paid them to attack Bill Watts, there is no evidence of this.  Ted Turner added a stipulation to his offer.  In order for the UWF and Mid-South Revolution to participate in The Battle of the Bayou to have a chance at the WTBS TV contract, both Watts and Ladd must agree to end their relationship with El Jefe, Taz, Koonan, and TNT.  Both promoters quickly signed off on this stipulation and, if the Cartel is able to survive their legal issues, they will be looking elsewhere for employment. 

It was bound to happen. Ted Turner finally gets involved and comes up with the best solution. 

Battle of the Bayou is beyond stacked and will be a ratings bonanza for Turner. 

This is it! Ladd vs. Watts, one more time with everything on the line. Doesn't get any better. This story has been amazing and I'm sure the blow off will be an epic one. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is all fun and games until Ted Turner gets involved... business has picked up if you will. I almost wonder if this will be a blow off or an armistice. This promotion can co-exist on one man's terms but can the other follow suit? There is a lot of meat on this bone but it almost pulls away from the other main dishes that look and taste good. JYD v Vader - Duggan v Tully - Dibiase v Garvin - Luger v Williams... this is as stacked of a card as we'll find in wrestling in this time frame.