Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 8/17 - 8/23 House of the Dragon

Flyin' Brian

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Punk is the biggest star in AEW & his debut was the biggest moment in the company - at least I think. He should absolutely be the current top guy & the guy they build the company around. But he's also not a spring chicken anymore & they should use him to elevate the AEW homegrown star that is going to be the top guy in the future going forward. I don't know who that guy will be, it can't be Page or Omega. Maybe someone like Hobbs or Starks. 

I actually thought that AEW were going to try to do their own nWo/InVasion angle with The Elite against ex-WWE guys like Danielson, Punk, Jericho, Andrade & Miro.

I'm also surprised that no one has brought up A.J. Lee at all, at least not to my knowledge, since C.M. Punk has been there. Especially if they're doing all this shooty stuff.

Regardless of how I personally feel about the backstage gossip/rumors, one thing is for sure abundantly clear: Tony Khan has way too much on his plate. I know about the new job titles for a couple new people, like Sonjay Dutt & Madison Rayne, but he needs... not like a writing/creative team, but he needs his version of Pat Patterson. He also needs to grow a spine & be willing to tell people no instead of trying to be everyone's friend. He's the boss.

Interesting that the audience wanted to see Omega back but not the match he was involved in. I guess it's gonna take a while to make trios matches matter but still. The second Mox/Punk segment was impromptu but was that back from a commercial break or did it all bleed out from the 3rd fall of García/Danielson? can't remember.

García working a control segment didn't light the world on fire, I see :lol:

On 8/19/2022 at 5:42 PM, Coffey said:

but he needs his version of Pat Patterson.

Yep. i've said it before, AEW needs a Scott D'Amore, to use a more contemporary reference. Someone who books logically from week to week. Feuds and angles are basically spread out over either way too much time (the Julia Hart turn, completely missing his target) or don't have a good ratio for angles/matches (Swerve in our Glory, agree it's a really terrible WWE like name, and Hobbs/Starks cutting a million promos on each others and having like, one match in the middle of it). Cage vs Jungle Boy is dangerously getting there too, this stuff has seemingly gone forever now and is running in circle, I thought this week's segment was pretty awkward with Cage trying to lure Jungle Boy back (like, really now ?) and then getting destroyed like there's no tomorrow. What's next after *that* beating ? And the PPV is still two weeks away, and will be some Christian Cage "really good but nothing special" Special again... 

Speaking of the PPV. The booking of FTR is mind blowing. They have three set of belts and they don't get to challenge Lee & Swerve so we get the grand slam champs with all the fucking belts ? I understand the Young Bucks basically weren't even supposed to get those back in the first place and only did because of the Hardy debacle, but now FTR are on the PPV NOT IN THE TAG TITLE MATCH but rather in a fucking six-men (not trios either, if you catch my drift) against a giant oaf and a non-wrestler (Sonjay is all but retired and not cleared to work anymore apparently), all to make Wardlow look good in a match about a fucking POWERBOMB SPOT like it's Kevin Nash vs Sid @ IYH2 ? What the everloving fuck, Coach Tony K. ? This is just terrible booking, there's no way around it.

Also, the ROH stuff is badly diluting the product. Claudio is the C-show world champ now. Congrats. Dustin getting a shot is good for shits and giggles and it will probably be quite good (and overrated too like the CM Punk match was, it's basically unavoidable at this point), but really now, let's be serious. And there are more belts around that no one really cares about, like some TV champ, some pure champ, some women champ who is never on TV anyway and never got over. Buying the stuff for future streaming service : good. Putting ROH on TV : bad idea. It's probably only a small part, but to me the focus of the promotion has taken a nosedive since the ROH stuff was made part of it.