Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 8/17 - 8/23 House of the Dragon

Flyin' Brian

2 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

So what are we thinking they do with Punk vs Mox next week? A DQ? A no contest (maybe even a non-star)? a draw or double pin? I don't buy this being a one and done, even if Punk teased the rematch with Hangman, that's just not as big of match for just 1 week of TV building for the PPV. So they gotta run Punk/Mox II ASAP and use their first match as a set up for All Out, probably gonna justify a big bloody gimmick match too.

Two options, I think - setting up a gimmick match, or the PPV match has Hangman for a 3 way.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I know they look like Yankees pants, which is a heel move, but they're supposed to be part of the pinstripe suit he wears as part of his DC's Black Mask gimmick.

I like the idea of pinstripe pants in general, but they look sloppy on him IMO.

Omega being wrapped in foil practically is the look I should have commented on.

I can't believe he'd really come back if he was still that banged up, so I have to believe (and hope) they're telling a story with his gear. 

Next week's show is going to be a banger!

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

So what are we thinking they do with Punk vs Mox next week? A DQ? A no contest (maybe even a non-start)? a draw or double pin? I don't buy this being a one and done, even if Punk teased the rematch with Hangman, that's just not as big of a match for just 1 week of TV building for the PPV. So they gotta run Punk/Mox II ASAP and use their first match as a set up for All Out, probably gonna justify a big bloody gimmick match too.

I can think of one match that would be bigger.

Punk vs. MJF II

Doesn't necessarily need the title either (although I'd prefer it with the title) - Mox could easily win and unify the titles after MJF interferes.

31 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I can't believe he'd really come back if he was still that banged up, so I have to believe (and hope) they're telling a story with his gear. 

Kenny said repeatedly he did not want to come back too soon and get injured again, and even pushed his return back to make sure of that (it was hoped he would be on Forbidden Door) so this is definitely a "guy returning from injury is trying to regain his footing" story like when Bryan came  back. 

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

I can think of one match that would be bigger.

Punk vs. MJF II

Doesn't necessarily need the title either (although I'd prefer it with the title) - Mox could easily win and unify the titles after MJF interferes.

I don't think that's a match you only give 1 week of TV to hype up (only 2 Dynamite's left before All Out). It's also hard picturing Punk not fighting for the belt in Chicago. And you also have to find an opponent for Mox because there's no way your biggest PPV doesn't have your main title on the line, and that would mean two top of the card matches with little to no build (Punk/MJF has history sure, but you know what I mean).

I guess booking a three way for the belt could be in play but that still sounds like last minute booking when you can just use next week's title match as set up for the real unification at the PPV.

I will admit glancing at Rampage spoilers but I only opened it up and then did a CTRL+F on "Claudio" so I didn't see actual results, but I did see who came out to challenge our Swiss pal and I am very excited for the match that will result from it. 

That is all.

15 hours ago, strobogo said:

Seemed like a dick move to do it on TV instead of in the back unless they're going to make an angle of it.

Maybe Punk has enough clout that he can just make up angles off the cuff in his promos and force Tony Khan to do them. Hangman has taken a huge dive for me in interest, but I would certainly rather see him wrestle Punk than Moxley. And them both as tweeners is more interesting than Page being whiny and cryptic while Punk no-sells.

If you believe Meltzer, Punk’s comments about Page were unplanned. I read elsewhere online today that my suspicions were correct, that interview Page gave last weekend was legit and he really doesn’t have much use for listening to advice or feedback from veterans. Apparently that rubs Punk the wrong way. Some are even reporting that there was legit tension between them leading up to their match when Punk won the title.

Considering the way Page has been presented so far in AEW, walking around crying, carrying a glass of booze and hanging out with the Dark Order…maybe he ought to start listening to advice from veterans. Aside from that very brief period before his title win, he hasn’t exactly been setting the world on fire. And in that interview he gave at the convention, he kind of comes off like a bit of a jackass. I don’t think he’s had the kind of career so far where he can afford to be turning down advice from anybody, and if he does I don’t think it would kill him to be a little bit more respectful about it.

CM Punk being an asshole is honestly the best possible use of him. I mean, that is who he is, and he's great at being himself.

I do wish someone would spice things up, mention Colt Cabana or something to get under his skin. 

As for Page, the dude has the single worst finisher in mainstream wrestling and never really changed that, so while I appreciate him, I 100% see how he wouldn't listen to veterans or think he's more than he actually is. The Buckshot is horrendous, bubbas.

Still, a shame he ended up having a Big E-type reign.

Yeah, it’s more the character and the direction that are the problems here. Page also hasn’t grown up in an environment where he’s had to really listen to his “elders” before: Omega is the closest and their views on pro wrestling are extremely similar. So my guess is more of him thinking of guys like Punk as a wrestling “boomer.”

36 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

Yeah, it’s more the character and the direction that are the problems here. Page also hasn’t grown up in an environment where he’s had to really listen to his “elders” before: Omega is the closest and their views on pro wrestling are extremely similar. So my guess is more of him thinking of guys like Punk as a wrestling “boomer.”

Could also be that Punk is an asshole who was completely out of the industry for 7 years and came back for way more money with way more hype and killed what had been a 3 year storyline with Adam Page since the very first AEW show. I could see a number of guys that have been around the entire time Punk was gone having a bit of a "fuck this guy" attitude. And I'd say they're right if Punk decided to air his grievances on live TV when Page couldn't respond.

What we're finding out right now is even after 7 + years, CM Punk is still CM Punk. The bloom is now off the rose for Tony Khan and he's gonna have to deal with his temper tantrums just like every other promoter had to. Next Wednesday's result should be pretty telling of what's next.

From Fightful

The belief among several on the roster we spoke to was that Punk believed Hangman went into business for himself leading into their Double or Nothing match, and that Punk may have seen the August 17 promo as a "receipt." It's important to note that was locker room speculation as opposed to Punk telling anyone that directly. From Punk's end of things, the Hangman promo had alluded to Punk's issues with Colt Cabana, and happened during a week where Punk wasn't at the show, while Punk's shot at Hangman happened with Hangman present.

Sources familiar with the situation claim that CM Punk has often verbally expressed his displeasure, including recently so blatantly that they thought he might end up quitting the company. Those close to him said that he might have almost decided to stay home instead of coming to the August 17 Dynamite, but don't think he would have quit. We haven't been given any indication that he plans on leaving AEW, but one veteran said they have heard of "threats being levied."

Fightful was also told that the Moxley vs. Punk match for the August 24 episode of AEW Dynamite was a late decision. We haven't been told how late, and when we asked AEW higher ups for context, we didn't gain any. We haven't learned the crux of what led to Punk's current frustrations that would have led to him hypothetically not showing up at Dynamite, whether it be the change in the match, Hangman's jab back in may or otherwise.

LMAO at 2 months of rest making Punk go back to his usual self. That man can't stay happy no matter what :lol:

I also think a lot of this shit is getting fed to the sheets for clicks more than anything. Page’s grievances notwithstanding, I think Tony bears the brunt of what happened with Page more than anyone. And Punk just happened to be the catalyst for the aftermath. It also hinges on two pre-disposed ideas about both guys, which is easy to extrapolate into things that draw clicks. 

Interesting that literally no one seems to think this is all just some storyline to work Hangman back into the title picture, I suppose it's sacrilege to suggest Coach Tony K would work the sheetz. Despite the fact that he basically just did that with the MJF deal (yes it was a shoot at first but I 100% believe "WILL HE SHOW UP TO  THE PPV" was all a work). 

3 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Interesting that literally no one seems to think this is all just some storyline to work Hangman back into the title picture, I suppose it's sacrilege to suggest Coach Tony K would work the sheetz. Despite the fact that he basically just did that with the MJF deal (yes it was a shoot at first but I 100% believe "WILL HE SHOW UP TO  THE PPV" was all a work). 

That's the answer to your question. We are at the "at first" stage of this whole thing.

True, but since the MJF deal did happen, it's odd to me that no one seems to think it's even a possibility that it could be what is going on now. Despite TK having a pretty clear track record of sticking to the same gameplans if they prove to work. 

(just to be clear I'm not saying this dust up is a total work, just that I don't think we can discount the possibility of that)