Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

C.S.

In AEW “news”

Fuego Del Sol, regular fixture of both "AEW Dark" and "AEW Dark: Elevation," was wished a happy birthday by the company on the official AEW Twitter account as he celebrates his 27th birthday. However, October 16 just so happens to be AEW EVP Kenny Omega's birthday as well, a fact noticeably ignored by the company.

FYI Punk’s birthday is October 26th. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/14/2022 at 2:53 AM, KawadaSmile said:

Even if he never comes back, monetizing Twitch and having a nice and sweet commentary gig isn't the worst of deals. Dude is clearly comfortable on the mic. 

Yeah. Fuck that shit, he can stay home and thank subs while playing video games instead of risking his life. 

So apparently Ace Steel was released, and The Elite and Punk were both referenced on Dyamite last night. So the situation may be shaking out the way people initially assumed - everybody stays but Bitey McSteel. But I remember Meltz saying he thought Punk would walk if they let Ace go, so maybe they gave him a severance package or something to sweeten the deal.

Punk still has like 7 more months of recovery so there's no rush to solve that situation yet. If Ace got (rightfully) fired that should mean they have avoided litigation regarding that matter.

Now, last time Punk spent time at home recovering he came back and torched the whole place in 3 weeks time so who knows if spending even more time at home will be better or worse :lol:

Honesty, this injury to Punk could be a blessing in disguise. It’s unlikely Tony Khan will fire him while he’s injured. A 7 month recovery gives plenty of time for cooler heads to prevail regarding this entire situation and lots of negotiations to take place. I know he’s not the most popular around here, but anybody can see that Punk can still move the needle and he has plenty of value to bring. This forced time off just might help everybody get some perspective and figure out a way to do business moving forward.

Or conversely, Tony Khan might fire Punk tomorrow. Who knows.

On 10/2/2022 at 7:01 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

Maybe they should run some shows in smaller places in different markets. We went to the Dynamite in Broomfield, CO a few weeks before the Covid shutdown and while it wasn't sold out, the crowd was on FIRE. Denver WWE Shows over the past year have shown that we're hot for the Wrestling.

I type it and it happens? Dynamite is coming back to Broomfield on 12/28 for their New Year's show. Nice.

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

TK secret PWO lurker confirmed (I say that half jokingly, he *is* a message board enthusiast after all). 

I prefer the "theory " that I just thought of. TK not only is a a lurker here, but he  listens to ME. Come on. I was on a ton of podcasts with Will , who's like a brother! Jack Miller and I put Will on Internet radio when it was still a thing!  TK and I definitely bought dvds from him . He was at DVDVR when I first discovered it.

All I'm saying, ladies and gentlemen of the jury...is it not POSSIBLE Tony Khan saw my post, looked at the numbers and HOT crowds WWE has drawn here over the last year or so and said, " I'm gonna give Johnny that show he asked for exactly the week he can take his nephews to a Wrestling show on a Wednesday cause it's Christmas break!"

I leave it to you. 

57 minutes ago, Flyin' Brian said:

AEW Dynamite was the number 8 cable show on the night for Tuesday, behind only MLB and the NBA. AEW beat NXT, but more importantly more people watched AEW than either Tucker Carlson or Hannity. Warms my heart and gives me hope for the future. 

Where Dynamite had Tucker and Hannity beat was the 18-49 demographic. Both had significantly more viewers than AEW overall (3.426 million and 2.98 million compared to 752 thousand).

59 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

All I'm saying, ladies and gentlemen of the jury...is it not POSSIBLE Tony Khan saw my post, looked at the numbers and HOT crowds WWE has drawn here over the last year or so and said, " I'm gonna give Johnny that show he asked for exactly the week he can take his nephews to a Wrestling show on a Wednesday cause it's Christmas break!"

I leave it to you. 

I mean he bought the rights to that Baltimora song for Jack Perry's birthday, it's not out of the question he'd get you an AEW show for Christmas. 

9 hours ago, Champagne said:

Where Dynamite had Tucker and Hannity beat was the 18-49 demographic. Both had significantly more viewers than AEW overall (3.426 million and 2.98 million compared to 752 thousand).

Again, it gives me hope for the future that most of the younger people watching television would rather watch wrestling than political talking heads. 

21 hours ago, Flyin' Brian said:

I don’t see any reason why Punk, Omega, and the Bucks aren’t all allowed to come back if they were all mentioned on Dynamite last night. 

It MAY be that they've been cleared to return and now the question is the timing. The Elite were mentioned so specifically last night that my thought is they'll be doing Elite-Death Triangle at Full Gear.

I'm beginning to think AEW is a lost cause. Another flash in the pan or at best TNA 2.0. National television deal, great roster, but can't seem to get out of their own way. Good enough to beat NXT but will probably never be able to challenge main roster WWE. It's sad too, because the potential was there. They don't want to be anything more than what they are. It's been fun for a while, maybe they will survive this Warner Discovery merger, but eventually if they don't grow they'll get tossed aside. WWE wins again. 

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Damn where did this come from? This sounds way too pessimistic for a company that's reaching 1 million viewers constantly (and that's actually good numbers in 2022's media consumption landscape) despite losing their biggest name under ridiculous circumstances.

They can’t stay over 1 million consistently. Plus being bumped all over the schedule for baseball and basketball doesn’t help. Who’s their biggest name?