Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - September 28/30, 2022

MoS

35 minutes ago, El-P said:

That's been a constant issue with some of their angles. They hit the exact right moment to hit the spot... and don't do it, for no good reason whatsoever.

Add to this not putting the tag titles on the Acclaimed at the PPV & the never-ending Christian/Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus bullshit. How many times can Christian come out to promo only for Jungle Boy to get attacked from behind?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Coffey said:

How many times can Christian come out to promo only for Jungle Boy to get attacked from behind?

I understand Christian got hurt but yeah, really now. The Christian turn was great. Since then, between the edgelords promos and the double-swerve / delayed because of injury, this angle has stalled Jungle Boy's arc for no good reason. He should move on after beating Luchasaurus and have Cage come back to screw him later on whenever he's ready to go.

I feel like a broken record, but AEW needs a Scott D'Amore to book a consistant week-to-week product. The super exciting and feelgood period of All Friends Wrestling is gone. The era of barrage of surprises coming from Vince's WWE is done too, the paradigm has changed. TK needs to find the right balance now, he has a shitload of great talent, great relationships with IMPACT, NJPW, AAA and indies basically, there's unlimited potential there. But we need focus, attention to timing, some work on the backstage stuff which always feels rushed and repetitive (or don't do it at all), better booking of the women division with more emphasis on developing personalities and feuds that matter. 

22 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:
Around 6 days ago, the Miami Dolphins played, and their quarterback, Tua Tagovailoa got a concussion. 

You mean a back injury, right, bubba?

In all seriousness, as painful as yesterday's game was for me as a Dolphins fan, I hope it sheds some necessary light on the NFL's concussion protocol. As it stands, it's an even bigger joke than WWE's Wellness Policy.

9 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

I just find it fucking hilarious that WWE got Florence Pugh to play Saraya's role in that movie. Like, that's a big name actor you got there!!

Well, she wasn't really a big name then.

She blew up right after that movie, and not because of that movie.

Sure seemed like there was a whole lot of talking on the show, much more than usual. I wasn't as down on it as the rest of the thread seems to be, but it wasn't super engaging for sure. I really hope the Garcia thing doesn't end up with him just turning on Bryan and being a SWERVE all along like the Jungle Boy/Lucha/Christian thing. I actually think it would be interesting for Garcia to fully join BCC and have Regal encouraging the villainy

I just want Garcia/BCC to get away from Jericho. Get anyone away from Jericho. Anyone saying he's having a career run while he's legit the worst talent on the roster at blatantly calling spots and getting into position for things despite being a 30 year vet. Part of that is on production, but I'm not sure there's any camera angles that you can't see Jericho calling spots. 

The presentation of Paige is weird. Feels like one of those TK hard overcorrects, except this time, it makes him and AEW as a company look bad for treating the women like shit. Just a strange tact to take to respond to online complaints about the women's division. I don't think her stumbling or getting lost was really much of an issue, just the content of the segment made everyone including TK/AEW look bad.

ROCK HARD Juice Robinson fucking sucks. I cannot believe how much Gedo derailed Juice for no reason when he was so hot with the crowd and great performances as a face rising up the card. And it happened like 4 years in a row. And now he's in the Bullet Club 2000 and sucks. 

48 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Well, she wasn't really a big name then.

She blew up right after that movie, and not because of that movie.

Just looked at the released dates.

• Fighting with my Family came out in February 2019.
  • Midsommar came out in September 2019.
  • Little Women came out in December 2019.

Therefore, WWE not only managed to get a then promising yet not well-known actor, but also got Lena Headley, who IS a big name. Oretty amazing if you ask me.

So, yeah, Saraya of all people talking about her old boss not listening to her is possibly the most mid-00s TNA shit they could have done with her. 

12 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

So, yeah, Saraya of all people talking about her old boss not listening to her is possibly the most mid-00s TNA shit they could have done with her.

Not to mention, she hasn't helped herself by posting like a teenage girl on Twitter. 

It's clear that she never really grew up.

I'm sure some of it is because of trauma - childhood and otherwise. It's sad to see.

7 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Saraya's promo didn't go well for sure, but it's cute that now people think AEW people taking swipes at WWE is somehow out of pocket and not part of the bedrock the company was built on. 

It's definitely on-brand for AEW, but it's become an overused stale cliche at this point.

AEW has long been in LOLTNA territory when it comes to this.

They really need to clean up their Swerve's Paige's house first before they comment on WWE again.

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Saraya's promo didn't go well for sure, but it's cute that now people think AEW people taking swipes at WWE is somehow out of pocket and not part of the bedrock the company was built on. 

Oh, it absolutely is, but she's one of the few cases in which WWE has done basically everything right, be it in booking or overall treatment. And like, as soon as they parted ways, she had nothing but good things to say about them. I get someone like, say, Athena or Ember Moon or Keith Lee airing their grievances and rightfully so, but with her it's just... it just comes across as forced.

21 hours ago, strobogo said:

ROCK HARD Juice Robinson fucking sucks. I cannot believe how much Gedo derailed Juice for no reason when he was so hot with the crowd and great performances as a face rising up the card. And it happened like 4 years in a row. And now he's in the Bullet Club 2000 and sucks. 

Completely agree. It's so fucking sad what New Japan did to one of the best babyfaces in the world. If he truly leaves NJPW, please get the fuck outta the Bullet Club asap, Juice.

So Rob Viper tweeted a thread that at first was about LA Park and the long-known difficulty working with him can be, only to reveal at the end he was talking about Andrade. Seems like he's the type who wants to be the focus of all the attention no matter what, which inevitably causes problems for whatever company he works for.  Rob also made the point that LA Park can get away with it because he's been a proven draw in Mexico for years (and still is really), Andrade's only at that level in his mind. Even mentioned that Andrade gets mad when he sees Bandido because he actually became what Andrade thinks he is. 

So reading between the lines here, it's easy to assume that since Bandido tore down the house on Dynamite and got offered a contract, Andrade probably lost his shit over it. 

4 hours ago, sek69 said:

So reading between the lines here, it's easy to assume that since Bandido tore down the house on Dynamite and got offered a contract, Andrade probably lost his shit over it. 

If any of that is true, Andrade is his own worst enemy and a malcontent, because it's not like Bandido is going to be used any better in the long run. 

Also consider that it's been reported that while WWE reached out to everyone in AEW who used to work there, it seems the only people who asked for their release are "the ones with significant others" in WWE.  Based on recent events that seems to indicate it was Black (Zelina), Buddy (Rhea), and Andrade (Charlotte). 

Andrade feuding with JTTS #10 on Rampage says everything you need to know about how he's seen right now. Which is a shame honestly. Back in NXT with Zelina he came off like a surefire main eventer. They have totally screwed him up at first by putting him with Vicky Guerrero and he never really recovered despite the cool Cody Rhodes series of matches (which he lost in the end, like Malakai Black). The pairing with Whoever the Assistant never made any sense to me, one of my pet peeves in pro-wrestling has always been guys like the Assistant, bland second who don't bring anything to the act. He's been doing nondescript stuff every other weeks with his "stable" which has done nothing. He's been completely overshadowed by Rush in a span of a few weeks. Was that too hard to pair him with a hot latina valet who could talk for him and cheat and have him win the TNT title and have a lenghty reign ? It would not be surprising if the guy would want back in WWE to be alongside his wife, for sure. Hell, Zelina is doing nothing of note either there. 

They need to sign Bandido and push him and Rush as latino stars on a serious level.

Crossposting my Rampage thoughts from DVDVR:

Spoiler

een focused on Inoki stuff, but this was a good episode!

• I thought the triple threat tag worked pretty well, actually. They did a good job coming up with reasons why people were and weren't in the ring even if there was a bit too much of other people running in. Bowens and Kassidy worked well together. Acclaimed is actually tweaking their act a little bit to add in some scissor stuff, which is good. You want the team that wins the belts to adapt a little bit but not so much it loses what got them there. Here, they're leaning into what was working. I liked how Butcher/Blade had familiarity with Private Party's stuff. The blind tag at the end during the tag was kind of clever but also kind of bullshit.
  • Moriarty is working so much better after the BCC matches and he's just leaning into it more and more as a heel now. Great. His match with Garcia will be awesome whenever that happens.
  • Hayter vs Willow was really good but Hayter's in a tough spot as she's getting cheered but she was agented into a match with Britt interference and outright heeling instead of just subtle heeling. Loved the bit where she hit the Irish Curse backbreaker and then couldn't hold the pin right because she was selling her leg. Willow seemed to tone down the super face mannerisms as she knew the crowd wasn't behind her, which was smart and subtle. Run it back a few more times.
  • Speaking of running it back, looking forward to Nyla vs Jade. They really need to just run with face Nyla clowning people at some point. She's so charismatic and funny and understands how to use social media that I bet it'd come through in ring. Can you imagine a Nyla/WIllow team? On the other hand, I don't think the Gunn Club act where they get everything wrong works at all. I wanted IWGPR2-D2 to work but it didn't. IWG3P-0 would have! Ah well. Also not working is Nemeth's "Buzzkill" Armstrong version of his brother's bad comedy. Even as the guy who gets killed by the world's tiniest Sid in Hook, putting him out there for a minute is just bad TV. He's fine on Dark.
  • Main event was good. It was very back and forth, maybe too much so considering the hierarchy and how they need to be using Rush, though Rush is kind of bulletproof because he's so intense and such an asshole and so confident in himself. It was ok it was so back and forth given that every shift was character driven. There's some real curiosity with the mask match next week as Andrade's been making not so subtle posts about leaving.

53 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There's some real curiosity with the mask match next week as Andrade's been making not so subtle posts about leaving.

He's under contract until mid-2024 and TK is apparently not releasing jackshit so they can go to WWE. Really, Andrade vs #10 in some sort of "big" gimmick match is some extremely lame booking, makes Andrade look third rate. Crazy that Alan Angels and Stu Grayson did not get renewed, but #10 was kept under contract. Of all the Dark Order members...

1 minute ago, El-P said:

He's under contract until mid-2024 and TK is apparently not releasing jackshit so they can go to WWE. Really, Andrade vs #10 in some sort of "big" gimmick match is some extremely lame booking, makes Andrade look third rate. Crazy that Alan Angels and Stu Grayson did not get renewed, but #10 was kept under contract. Of all the Dark Order members...

Honestly, I’m into it, but I think they’re leaning dangerously hard into the Brodie’s memory stuff if 10 is losing.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Honestly, I’m into it, but I think they’re leaning dangerously hard into the Brodie’s memory stuff if 10 is losing.

If you watch the Vlogs and listen to the podcasts. Preston Vance/10 wants a Cena type hero to kids. Personally I think he has those type of qualities and has the looks to lose the mask.

And someone WWE should sign in terms of not embarrassing you in front of the media, sponsors and charities. A professional.

I get every and all reservations. But Preston is Negative One's (Brodie Jr) best friend on the AEW roster.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

They had done a start/stop already on the mask back in February when guys like Starks were using it to blind him and it looked like they'd have him lose it.

I wish it came at a point when box office and critical acclaim was greater than it was (the lowest) just seems like a cheap stunt currently.

It's just a weird stip match to make. On paper Andrade vs #10 shouldn't be anything more than a competitive squash, but putting an emphasis on Brodie Lee being the one who gave him the mask would make you think the opposite. Perhaps it's just a way to add some doubt to a match that would normally wouldn't have it, but I don't want to see the reaction the Terminally Stupid Online folks will have to AEW "disrespecting Brodie's legacy" or some shit.