Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - September 28/30, 2022

MoS

3 hours ago, Coffey said:

This has definitely not been a good show. I don’t know if it’s because of the hurricane but this has been about as exciting as watching late era Sunday Night Heat.

It did feel like some stuff was stretched out, maybe because they were missing people. Did not match the pacing of Dynamite recently.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Howard was built like Aaron Judge. Not quite as athletic but a massive slugger. 

28 minutes ago, TimCooke said:

Totally agree.  I think the Mets jersey was a simple NL East rivalry thing since they were in Philly.

Yeah. You can't go Yankees jersey since it's the most patronizing rivalry possible. You get one over on the Yankees and they treat you like their little brother who actually won something for once.

Not the greatest Dynamite but I’ll give them a pass considering the circumstances. Jericho vs PCO absolutely HAS to have crossed Jericho’s mind but this crusade against ROH has to take him away from the BCC so they can move elsewhere. Kind of wonder if the plan was to go BCC opposite The Elite after All Out but situations occurred. I do hope Khan can avoid the holding patterns they sometimes slip into in between the PPVs following this.

15 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

this reads as her being a delusional heel who doesn't realize women's wrestling has passed her by, thinking she is the savior as she supposedly was when she first made it to WWE

if that's their goal, good fucking job 

There was exactly *nothing* right with that segment, and that tweet, apart from her being rusty and admitting it, is even worse.

The last thing AEW needs for its women division is a former WWE star (former is that she was a star years ago, since she hasn't been on TV forever anyway) showing up and acting like she's the mother hen (that segment had strong Brooke Hogan in TNA vibes), with all the babyfaces acting subservient and looking like minor players (from having to "re-introduce" them like Toni Storm the champ needed a fucking validation, to the fact,oh well, we don't actually have time to). 

The WWE references were completely out to lunch, especially considering Saraya got the mega-push from day one during her time there and had The Rock produce a movie about her. And the guy who "did not listen to her" is gone now. Like, that ship has sailed. Different approach is needed.

No, women matches were not 5 minutes afterthought before she showed up. That's shitting on 3 years on AEW women's wrestling which, despite still needed work, had tons of excellent matches and people like Riho, Baker, Rosa was got really over big. I dunno, it's like she CM Punked herself there already. (really, I would be Baker or Bunny or Melo or Shida, I would not be happy with that tweet at all)

Booking a shitty gimmick match on the fly like she's kind of an authority figure (please DON'T !) is not a win. It dragged forever and was mostly heatless (Jaimie Hayter was the most over of the bunch because the AEW audience wants Jaimie Hayter to turn on Baker and win the title, DO IT ALREADY !).

If she is not gonna wrestle anyway, then what's the end game ? And really, if you wanna do a heel, preferably, authority figure (which they should not do), Madison Rayne is right there

Holy shit, that segment had strong bad WWE/TNA vibes. I'm sure Saraya has the right use in her, but that was *not good* (I blame booking as much as bad execution)

Also, one pet peeve of mine is them never re-showing big spots/finishes after matches. Toni Storm hit that gnarly second rope piledriver, which looked awesome, and not even the time to re-show it in slow-mo or something ? Let the show breathe and re-show the finishes and big-ass spots.

Well, Bandido got himself over (yeah, surprising I know, SIGN HIM) and Jericho the ROH champ I'm already loving. Yeah, line-up the former champs.

I thought it was a solid show outside of the Saraya promo. As you said El-P, bad premise and bad execution. It really seems like she was brought in for the sake of bringing a big name in despite having nothing for her. I think we're seeing the down-side of doing long term storylines, especially in the women's division as they've been so slow with this Britt Baker/Jamie Hayter storyline.

If you look at what's been successful at AEW, it's been character development. Adam Page had an opportunity to go down in history as the first ever AEW Champion and had all that pressure...and failed. Instead of just shrugging it off we saw the toll that took on him and it made him a far more interesting character and made us care about his journey. Making Britt Baker into the Seth Rollins/Jinder Mahal style champion for a year where her lackeys do all her heavy lifting is beyond boring.

They should have been quicker on the ball there and we should at least be well and truly into a Jamie Hayter/Britt Baker feud. Instead we've got another ex-WWE wrestler coming after Britt in AEW.

I thought it was pretty lame that of all the acts that won last week, the Acclaimed could only get a backstage promo to set up a match for Rampage. Feels like we're going through the exact same motions as The Lucha Bros and The Jurassic Express. They win and then they disappear to the B-show barely half the audience watches.

Hopefully they avoid that with Bandido. Sign him, have him go over Andrade and put him on a colision course towards the TNT title.

40 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

They should have been quicker on the ball there and we should at least be well and truly into a Jamie Hayter/Britt Baker feud. Instead we've got another ex-WWE wrestler coming after Britt in AEW.

That's been a constant issue with some of their angles. They hit the exact right moment to hit the spot... and don't do it, for no good reason whatsoever. Jamie Hayter should have turned a few weeks back already, when the crowd was at its hottest for her (sadly for Toni Storm, it was not her time to win the title, that's not what the audience wanted). Hit the iron when it's hot, especially when you really don't have that much long-term plans. Same went for the Julia Hart turn, they totally screwed that one up (and really, apart from dressing up cool, poor Julie never had anything to do, until she took that wicked bump last week).

The reason why the Hangman Page storyline was so good is basically because it was a long-term Elite angle, and they are the masters of it.

I have no idea where they are going with Saraya, but this has to be by far the worst debut angle AEW ran since it's beginning (Andrade was bleh, but inoffensive, Miro was goofy but I had hope the wedding angle that it was leading toward would be great, which it wasn't in the end). Awful Stephy/Brooke Hogan vibes from it. Her talking about the "Revolution" like we need more reference to WWE revisionist history (the true "revolution" in US women's wrestling was in TNA with Gail Kim & Awesome Kong in 2007) was absolutely cringeworthy. 

40 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

Hopefully they avoid that with Bandido. Sign him, have him go over Andrade and put him on a colision course towards the TNT title.

This. Wardlow doing powerbombs has jumped the shark a while ago. Powerhouse Hobbs is better on pretty much every level (he's just not as tall). Get the TNT title on someone fun to watch at least. As far as the TBS title goes... I guess as long as Jade can do crazy shit like that catch of Diamanté last week, it still has some sails, but there has to be a point where thing evolves, it is stalling way too much now.

Hopefully we get FTR vs the Acclaimed before FTR lose the IWGP titles too. The Acclaimed are super over and but really I don't think they even need to keep the title for too long. They could be an act that doesn't need it to stay over at that level.