Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 11/16 - 11/18

KawadaSmile

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found the build for this PPV to be lacking. I am more interested in the Kingston/Ortiz vs. Akiyama/Takeshita match on Rampage on Friday than I am about anything on this PPV.

Between the never ending JAS/BCC feud, the Luchasaurus/Jungle Boy Cage Match that nobody I know has any interest in seeing, and NO FTR…screw this. I am not paying for this.

Oh look, it's the division's top heel cutting another babyface promo. The crowd at Full Gear is going to completely turn on Saraya unless she proves to be far better in the ring than anyone is expecting. What the women's division really needs is a heel gatekeeper who can make newcomers look like a million bucks while putting them over. Nyla Rose would probably be the best pick, but the pairing with Vickie is just death.

3 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

So uh, what happened to Daniel García? Did TK really just spent like 3 months (and 3 Danielson losses) building him and his angle with Jericho up just so he would go back to be just another guy on Dark? What a waste of TV time and slots that could've gone to more promising talent.

Don’t say his name out loud. If you say it three times, he shows up on TV nonstop for another six months. 

21 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

So uh, what happened to Daniel García? Did TK really just spent like 3 months (and 3 Danielson losses) building him and his angle with Jericho up just so he would go back to be just another guy on Dark? What a waste of TV time and slots that could've gone to more promising talent.

TK takes the top guys off TV and puts them on the YT shows all the time. We might dislike it, but his approach is consistent in this respect. I get the feeling he looks at some metrics for the YT shows that we're not privy too and decides organically. 

Booking a C-level/D-level show has been a challenge for wrestling promotions for decades now. The precursor to Sunday Night Heat, Sunday Night Heat itself, Worldwide and Pro, the newly revamped superstars, it almost feels like they're chasing a balance that just cannot exist. 

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

Better than the alternative to keep using him when no one cares though, right? Hope he does the same with Wheeler and the ROH shit. 

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Better than the alternative to keep using him when no one cares though, right? Hope he does the same with Wheeler and the ROH shit. 

I don't get the complaints about Yuta at all. Dude has been in the midcard, where he should be, with occasional bigger matches that he loses. He also gets some promo opportunities that he should get because he clearly needs the reps. Considering his role in the company, I have no issue with the way he's been showcased.

García I totally understand as he's been way more prominent and gotten way bigger spots on TV. And even though I didn't agree with the push he was getting -have no issue with him as an in ring performer, but I find that he lacks everything else to warrant the spot he was being given- BUT, after putting him in the spotlight for so long and basically using Danielson to prop him up, only for him to remain a heel and disappear from TV is a bizarre booking choice. It feels like TK had all the faith in the world in him, and then all of a sudden he didn't anymore and moved on and all we got as a result was a never ending feud that went nowhere and wasn't worth all the effort they put in.

Garcia has some great vocalizations during his matches, specially those bloody wars the JAS has been in, but in terms of actual promos he's not there yet. Shows promise, but still nothing to justify that much screen time when people like Starks were begging for more yet were relegated to the way less popular show Rampage. The biggest problem is that after all this time, he's in the same place as before. Why? 

As for Yuta, the issue is not him being used, but how he was used. He got over being a human punching bag to Bryan and Mox. He's not nearly on their level, yet in tags he was treated as someone who could totally hang, and not as Shingo Yabuki. Those tandem elbows the BCC did always bothered me. Other than that he's alright IMO.

As much as I like Garcia and Yuta, they should stick around ROH for a while (if they get a TV show) and build their reputation. People like Punk, Joe or Bryan spent years in the indies and around the world having classic matches that everyone was talking about, and there was a real hype when they appeared on national television in a big company.

Worst AEW go-home show leading to by far the lesser AEW PPV on paper in front of a god-awful crowd. This made the 2019-2021 AEW fan in me a bit sad, not gonna lie.

So because they figured they had to affirm the Elite was gonna be at the PPV, they totally screwed up the cool build they did with useless reveal. Match should be awesome nonetheless, and the Elite has been VERY BADLY missed on TV. AEW without them just isn't the same, as demonstrated since they vanished. 

I like Ethan Page. He's a solid guy. But having him beat a newly signed Bandido is idiotic. This entire tournament is a waste of time. I don't wanna see any tournament ever until the Owen, and no tournament at all apart from the Owen during the entire year. Only Vince Russo booked as much tournaments. The final to crown who's doing the job to the next champ is a waste of PPV time and will probably die a painfull death.

Speaking of waste of PPV time, I am sick and tired of that Jungle Boy vs Christian Cage & Luchasaurus stuff. And the last thing I want to watch is a single heel-Luchasaurus-in-a-cage match on PPV. 

And with all due respect, yes the Acclaimed are very over, and yes the first match totally overdelivered, but in a company which very seldom runs rematches, of all of the rematches we can have, we get a third Acclaimed vs Swerve/Lee ? While FTR are not on the PPV...

Saraya is a total mystery at this point in term of what her work will look like. As long as she doesn't get hurt, I guess I'm happy with it. 

Jade vs Nyla could go both way. Either a cool little match with some cool spots, either a complete car wreck. I would probably bet on the former though, but who knows. I hope we get some new things for Jade, her beating everyone has jumped the shark a while ago. But not sure I'd want Nyla to beat her (although the character she displays now should do her lots of good with actual solid booking, and away from Vickie).

The Firm bullshit has been diluting the Mox vs MJF program. Why the fuck is W. Morrissey on my TV involved in a main angle ? So they are gonna do some kinda swerve, uh ? I have honestly bad feelings about the booking of this match, despite some really terrific mic work from Mox & MJF.

Some stuff I look forward though. The three-way hoss fight (with people who can actually do cool shit, unlike Braun or Tyrus, ya know), the ROH four way to some extent (although even I at this point wish we would move on now and get some fresh stuff from the BCC to do) and really, Hayter vs Storm and the trios match (which will completely steal the show, bank on it). The Sting/Jarrett tag match too for the novelty aspect and Double J having one of the most WTF year ever in pro-wrestling history.

But overall, by far the least hyped (basically not hyped one bit, even dreading some stuff such as dead matches and stupid booking decisions) I've ever been since AEW started. 

Well, I get Kingston vs Akiyama this week-end, then probably won't be able to watch the PPV before Monday or so. Hopefully nothing completely ridiculous happens this time around and I get all behind some hyper-drama again.

4 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

I don't get the complaints about Yuta at all. Dude has been in the midcard, where he should be, with occasional bigger matches that he loses. He also gets some promo opportunities that he should get because he clearly needs the reps. Considering his role in the company, I have no issue with the way he's been showcased.

The bigger issue is his use on Dynamite - same with Garcia for awhile - instead of being delegated to Rampage or Dark. There's often talent better than them both on Rampage & it doesn't make any sense. I understand wanting to push new blood - and they should - but it feels like they just picked two motherfuckers out of a hat, not anyone that actually had momentum from the live crowd. Like it worked with The Acclaimed because they were over. 

I feel like people are memory-holing that Garcia potentially turning on Jericho and pledging support for PRO WRESTLING was a pretty hot program for a little bit. Crowds were begging  for it to happen, and not pulling the trigger seemed to be what hurt him the most. That's on TK for (once again) dragging shit too long rather than any fault of Garcia. 

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I feel like people are memory-holing that Garcia potentially turning on Jericho and pledging support for PRO WRESTLING was a pretty hot program for a little bit. Crowds were begging  for it to happen, and not pulling the trigger seemed to be what hurt him the most. That's on TK for (once again) dragging shit too long rather than any fault of Garcia. 

I see what you are saying, and you’re not totally wrong. To me, the issue isn’t so much that García is lousy, it’s that AEW have so much talent under contract that are so much better than Garcia is, but he gets so much TV time and so much creative energy has been put into pushing him and Yuta.

I think both Garcia and Yuta are perfectly acceptable midcard talent and maybe they even have the potential to go even higher up…but I could name at least half a dozen guys who are noticeably better than them, who either haven’t been pushed or have fallen victim to Tony Khan’s ADD “Now You See Him…Now You Don’t” booking.

Back when NXT was functioning at a creative, interesting and exciting level I used to almost hesitate to get behind a talent, because I was worried that if I got invested in them, they would just get called up to the main roster, and would be ruined, changed, not used properly, or not used at all. Sometimes I get a similar fear when I watch AEW. Even when I get into a particular character or potential storyline, I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop, or for the person to disappear off TV for no reason for weeks at a time.

2 hours ago, Coffey said:

The bigger issue is his use on Dynamite - same with Garcia for awhile - instead of being delegated to Rampage or Dark. There's often talent better than them both on Rampage & it doesn't make any sense. I understand wanting to push new blood - and they should - but it feels like they just picked two motherfuckers out of a hat, not anyone that actually had momentum from the live crowd. Like it worked with The Acclaimed because they were over. 

But Yuta hasn't taken a lot of time of Dynamite nor a coveted spot from someone else. He got the shit beat out of him for three weeks in March and it got him very over as he showed defiance and the crowd got behind him. Then he wrestled a lot of tag matches on TV, some multiman matches and jobbed to Jericho and MJF as they were being prepped for bigger things. That's a midcarder spot that a guy like Yuta should totally have, imo.

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

I mean, it was a very little bit. It was probably 2-3 weeks and then shit started to lose steam as the angle began to turn into a weird "who's got García's custody" between Danielson and Jericho. I'm not confident García could've stayed over after moving on from the program with Danielson but not pulling the trigger meant all the time and effort meant jack shit and it only hurt a commodity like BD.

DG absolutely should have joined BCC. He could even have actually stayed a heel, with Regal teaching him ever more villainous behaviors. The crowds finally gave a shit about him and instead just went back to the will he/won't he drama for a couple of weeks then firmly back to being Jericho's little buddy, with people moving on. Made extra whatever due to Jericho already doing this angle with Sammy and MJF already.

I know that the fake face turn to cement as a bigger heel is a long time thing, but that's not really an angle you use for mid card guys. That's the kind of thing you do for The Rock in 1998 to make him the top heel in the company.

They should have Jamie Hayter beat Jade Cargill for the TBS Title. It gives her something to do & would help Jade as well as this title reign & streak has kind of hit a wall. I actually don't dislike the Nyla/Jade direction thus far though. I do think they'll try to double turn Baker/Saraya, which would make the Hayer/Baker thing even farther away as they would both kind of be face. I assume Saraya/Baker will continue through this PPV as well & after Cargill, Hayer could move on to Nyla.

I think the biggest problem with Tony Khan is he doesn't know when to pull the trigger. Either to end something or to start something. He misses a lot of windows.

Madisyn Rayne was brought in as a trainer, right? She seems to be getting more TV opportunities than some of the other ladies but I don't know a lot of the schedules of some of the Japanese stars to be fair. I saw Rayne was wrestling on Rampage tonight. 

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

I think the biggest problem with Tony Khan is he doesn't know when to pull the trigger. Either to end something or to start something. He misses a lot of windows.

Agreed. We've seen it countless times now.

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

Madisyn Rayne was brought in as a trainer, right? She seems to be getting more TV opportunities than some of the other ladies

I wouldn't say that. She's a JTTS basically, and she's not doing *anything* that makes her fun to watch because they introduced her as some vanilla babyface real-backstage coach. She is not over and she hasn't looked very good in the ring either. Just a pity, she was so much fun in IMPACT and she has years of making the most out of not so great booking during Russo-era TNA. Just a complete waste because apparently no one knows what she's good at, and that is being a fun bitch heel with cool promo abilities. When I see people like Emma, Mia Yim and soon Chelsea Green going back to WWE coming off cool IMPACT runs, I really can't blame them, seems like a much better move now.

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

I don't know a lot of the schedules of some of the Japanese stars to be fair. 

That's another thing. Riho comes back, looks awesome of course and then we don't see her again and she isn't figured anywhere. They should find something for Shida, maybe turn her heel or something, the poor girl is getting crickets when she wrestles. Hate to be that guy, but they need two women matches during Dynamite every week if they want to seriously build a solid division, ratings notwithstanding. Working once every other week is not helping them at all.

I have a theory about TK's booking. It's well-known that he's a long-time Observer reader, and Meltzer has long said that good promoters listen to the fans and great promoters manipulate the fans. I think he hesitates to deviate from long-term plans to pull the trigger on hot acts at least in part because he wants to leave no doubt that he's the one pulling the strings.