Pro Wrestling Only

Best of 7 series

Flyin' Brian

6 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

no male models per se.

Well, the demo was more about Sable and Debra in skimpy outfits, really. MEAT was a miserable failure, and even in his case, the real draw were Jackie & Terri. The fact I even remember it kinda makes me sad, I'm just old and remember useless stuff from 30 years ago but hardly anything precise from three years back.

The disappointing thing about the Benoit/Booker series is that neither guy really got to capitilise off the momentum from the angle. Both guys had long lay-offs and by the time they returned the company had moved on. Benoit was back to playing a support role for Flair who was experiencing a resurgence while Booker had to build his way back up to beating Scott Steiner and by that point it seemed like the moment had been lost. It didn't help that after capturing the TV title from Scotty, they had Booker put Scotty over for the US and followed that up by having him drop the TV title to Rick only to reform Harlem Heat while both him and Stevie were floundering.

The rib was they tried to replicate the Best of 7 with a Best of 5 between him and Cena for the US Title in 2004 and the matches were really underwhelming.

16 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Oh, I get why they didn't do it with Martel/Callis, I meant more in general. Like, how that gimmick never really materialized with other people? We got boy toy MEAT and Too Much, but no male models per se.

I guess Maximum Male Models didn't titillate your juices? 

Funny how ol' man.soor went from token hometown guy for the Saudi shows to someone who probably wouldn't be allowed on them with this gimmick.

4 hours ago, sek69 said:

I guess Maximum Male Models didn't titillate your juices? 

Funny how ol' man.soor went from token hometown guy for the Saudi shows to someone who probably wouldn't be allowed on them with this gimmick.

4chan dudes queerbaiting ain't doing it for me, even if in concept it's outrageous and they are 100% on the bit.

But I meant more that if it were done in the AE, the amount of slurs and homophobic language used would be insane. Like, if in 1997 they wanted an older Martel, surely there could have been other options?

1 minute ago, KawadaSmile said:

Like, if in 1997 they wanted an older Martel, surely there could have been other options?

I believe Martel and Callis came up with the gimmick themselves. Not WWF's idea at the time. Also, back then WWF was big on "New" something. New Rockers, New Blackjacks, LOD 2000, New Midnight Express. All huge success too.