Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV (1/11-1/13)

Coffey

I had to start this thread because I wanted to mention a match that is happening on Dynamite tonight & I didn't want to put it in the all-encompassing thread. 

Dynamite.thumb.jpg.e4b6850a4873dfec4c2015b77f726e28.jpg

Bryan Danielson Vs. Konosuke Takeshita is going to slap & I really hope that Danielson loses. Takeshita, I feel, could be a pretty big star but he keeps coming up short in big matches. I know this is the first match of the seven-weeks thing that Danielson is doing to get a shot at MJF but I would love that swerve. 

Anyway, this card is stacked, including, finally, the finale to the best-of-seven. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fuck match 7 of this tired ass series, but otherwise, I am really really looking forward to this show. As someone who is a huge fanboy of Sasha and has been marking out for her on this forum for the past 8 years, I will absolutely mark out and lose my shit if she debuts, so you are all hereby warned 

Also, am I the only one here who doesn't see the big deal about Takeshita? Like, he is good, quite good, but he isn't like some incredibly prodigious talent, can't-miss superstar or anything. I dunno. I have been trying to give him a fair chance and see what I am missing. 

Takeshita is a big deal because he’s a Japanese heavyweight who is young and has a lot of time in ring already. He has some polish and technique but has not reached his full potential in many ways. Fans glob on to that. He also has an odd, relatable personality. He’s basically the next Okada in many US fans eyes, or at least should be. He also knows how to put on exciting matches that tend to be paint-by-numberish in their execution. 

There’s plenty to like, plenty to be excited about, but lazy comparisons like 70’s Jumbo because of his size is what is giving me SUWAMA vibes. 

52 minutes ago, MoS said:

Also, am I the only one here who doesn't see the big deal about Takeshita? Like, he is good, quite good, but he isn't like some incredibly prodigious talent, can't-miss superstar or anything. I dunno. I have been trying to give him a fair chance and see what I am missing. 

I get why people like him but Takeshita vs Page was my least favorite match of 2022. 

26 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I get why people like him but Takeshita vs Page was my least favorite match of 2022. 

See, I know you hate Hangman, but I love him, but this is weird, cuz I think that Hangman's worst match were the Adam Cole matches, at least the first one, cuz in those matches, he did not behave like an ace at all. He enabled Adam Cole to behave like the true "heir apparent". 

I understand that Page did not behave like an ace nor worked in that intelligent style when he wrestled Takeshita, but, like, after getting introduced to these fuckers, he did not sabotage his own case lol.

A young Takeshita challenging Baba would actually have been such a cool match! (if we got it without excessive deference lol)

I like Takeshita because his speed & athleticism for his size really stand out to me when watching him. It's more subtle than a lot of other people that can do similar. I would compare him more to the likes of someone like Tito Santana probably than Jumbo. Wrestling comparisons are hard.

It also should be noted that with all the WWE selling drama going on, and the Saudi Arabia rumors, tonight might have more of a viewing audience for Dynamite. We'll see. 

Oh, also, another quick point I wanted to make: I have complained in the past about matches that happen for no reason, that don't have any stakes. Matches that are just there to be good matches but don't otherwise have a point, ultimately. I feel like they don't have a lot of heat & are just to kill time on TV. This American Dragon having to win seven in a row is a GREAT way to give him a reason to wrestle several opponents that he wants while also giving a reason to the matches happening. Love that.

27 minutes ago, MoS said:

See, I know you hate Hangman, but I love him, but this is weird, cuz I think that Hangman's worst match was the Adam Cole matches, at least the first one, cuz he did not behave like an ace at all. He enabled Adam Cole to behave like the true "heir apparent". 

Page did not behave like an ace nor worked in that intelligent style when he wrestled Takeshita, but, like, he did not do his own self any justice. A young Takeshita challenging Baba would actually have been such a cool match! (if we got it without excessive deference lol)

I like that you think I watched Page vs Cole.

Best Takeshita match in AEW in 2022 is the first Mox one where Mox worked him like he was Hansen and stopped him from doing a bunch of dumb stuff. Second best is probably the JD Drake match from Dark. Second worst Takeshita match was the Kingston one. Just brought the absolute worst out of each other.

Takeshita has tons of raw talent but very similar instincts to Page.

I hate the Santana comparison but if you want to make a Barry Windham one on his athleticism and size, that I'll accept, just not his instincts.

The Escalara de la Muerte will cap off one of the greatest series of matches in TV pro-wrestling history. Hopefully no muerte though. 

Takeshita vs Danielson and Mox vs Hangman are gonna be awesome.

I would be very surprised if Mercedes Moné showed up. I don't expect that at all.

Fuck ratings. AEW has been on a roll of awesome shows with great crowds, hopefully this one keeps on. 

Also, I really like the new look. I think it's a huge improvement. I've read opinions on both side of the equation but I didn't voice mine in the thread last week, so I just wanted to throw that out there. I also like the look of all the current AEW champions, outside of I guess PAC in Death Triangle (and that's a reach) not being ex-WWE guys. That's a big anchor that naysayers have been able to hold against AEW in the past. With everything going on with WWE right now, having your champions be the likes of MJF, The Acclaimed, Jamie Hayter, Jade Cargill, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy & Death Triangle is a good look. If The Elite win the Trios titles tonight, it'll be Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks instead. Like, yes, Jon Moxley, Bryan Danielson & Chris Jericho are there but AEW is doing great right now.

I never really got that argument anyway. During the Monday Night Wars, it was a big deal when someone jumped to the other company. Now it's turned into a negative that people use against a company. It's just weird. Nobody called Hall, Nash or Luger "WWE rejects" when they went back to WCW. Nor do I recall anyone calling anyone a "WCW reject" if they went to WWF. Like when the Radicals jumped ship, that was a huge deal. 

7 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Also, I really like the new look. I think it's a huge improvement. I've read opinions on both side of the equation but I didn't voice mine in the thread last week, so I just wanted to throw that out there. I also like the look of all the current AEW champions, outside of I guess PAC in Death Triangle (and that's a reach) not being ex-WWE guys. That's a big anchor that naysayers have been able to hold against AEW in the past. With everything going on with WWE right now, having your champions be the likes of MJF, The Acclaimed, Jamie Hayter, Jade Cargill, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy & Death Triangle is a good look. If The Elite win the Trios titles tonight, it'll be Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks instead. Like, yes, Jon Moxley, Bryan Danielson & Chris Jericho are there but AEW is doing great right now.

I never really got that argument anyway. During the Monday Night Wars, it was a big deal when someone jumped to the other company. Now it's turned into a negative that people use against a company. It's just weird. Nobody called Hall, Nash or Luger "WWE rejects" when they went back to WCW. Nor do I recall anyone calling anyone a "WCW reject" if they went to WWF. Like when the Radicals jumped ship, that was a huge deal. 

TNA hadn’t happened and proved that “big name WWE guys appearing on your show” could look like desperate clout chasing.

Takeshita always worked a very "go-go-go" style in DDT. It was normally frustrating to watch him dismiss the little things some of his opponents wanted to work into a match in order to get into a big trading spots sequence or go full steam ahead.

I've liked his US work much more than his DDT work in the past 4 years or more. Dude has to tools to do anything he wants in a wrestling ring, I'm more than happy to see him wrestle different opponents and see what he ends up becoming in two or three years.

AEW isn't gun-shy about presenting big matches on TV, but Elite/Death Triangle Game 7, Mox/Page and Dragon/Takeshita is legitimately a mini PPV and I am beyond pumped to see all of it.  

We'll see where the women's tag goes and like El-P am not expecting a big debut or surprise, but hopefully some progression towards the next big matches in the division.

I thought the Takeshita-love was a mixture of hospitality and tokenism. Like when Watanabe/EVIL went on excursion to RoH and the crowds tried sooo hard to like him, even though he offered them nothing. But he was a young boy and their guest so they tried to give him the best reception possible.