Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 02/13 - 02/19 Pat Mahomes just pulled a Perc Angle

KawadaSmile

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Of course, they could also do a three-way, but I'm not sure anyone wants to see that formula.

Oh no. Something in the pit of my stomach says they are going to have a 3 way at Mania, aren't they. This feels like Danielson in the run up to XXX or Mick Foley in the TV build up in 2000.

I could see them doing something like the Eurocontinental title match at WM2000 and have Roman lose both belts without being pinned for either. That way, you send the fans home happy (or at least happier than they would be if Roman retains) and save the Roman/Cody singles match for Summerslam (which actually needs a big main event since it probably can't sell out a stadium on name value alone).

54 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I could see them doing something like the Eurocontinental title match at WM2000 and have Roman lose both belts without being pinned for either. That way, you send the fans home happy (or at least happier than they would be if Roman retains) and save the Roman/Cody singles match for Summerslam (which actually needs a big main event since it probably can't sell out a stadium on name value alone).

Roman/Sami (without any belts, Sami finally getting his win) and Cody/Gunther for the WWEUU belt would be enough, I think.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Waiting all the way to August for Roman/Sami would be missing the peak on a hilarious level tho. 

Oh, I'm not saying they should do it JUST then. There is an easy 3-Way to be done post WM for Backlash, and they have to give a probable KO/Sami tag team legs, too.

Even if they are already done with that story by then, Cody/Gunther is more than enough.

After struggling to make babyfaces post John Cena, the idea that they somehow ass-backwarded their way into having two red hot ones and it's still not a given they both won't once again do the Beloved Babyface Comes Up Just Short deal is just depressing. 9/10ths of the reason WWE can't make babyfaces anymore is once someone starts to get hot, they have to be constantly geeked out for weeks/months to get the HEAT until no one gives a shit about them anymore. 

I didn't hear or see anything on RAW this week or last week that makes me think we're not getting Sami & KO beating the Usos on Night 1 (probably main event) and Cody beating Roman on Night 2.

Yes, Sami is over. But so is Cody. They're not running Montreal every night between Saturday and April 1st. The WWE audience is behind Cody and will only be more behind him as we build to Mania if Roman continues to be regarded as "unbeatable." Based on the card now, they're also (wisely) keeping Cody off of the Elimination Chamber. They're not even going to give the audience the chance to boo him. Its a wise move and maybe shows they learned something from having Batista appear so frequently in the build to WrestleMania XXX (when the audience saw him as a usurper to Danielson) and, the next year, when they brought out The Rock to endorse Roman (who was also seen by a vocal portion of the audience as undeserving and "forced"). 

The comparisons of Sami with Mick Foley are apt. But let's remember that Foley was never booked as a world beater either. His first title win came from interference by Austin as a wa to build to Austin/The Rock for WrestleMania. And because Foley was so good on the mic and so beloved by the audience, he remained popular and could be inserted into main events for years despite not really ever being seen as the true top babyface. Sami will be fine. 

So much of this talk seems like its based on the idea that the WWE audience will turn on Cody even faster than the AEW audience did and, I dunno, I just don't see it happening between now and April. It will take awhile. It would also take at least a few more gaffes on Cody's part and, so far, he's been really, really good. He's not "one bad promo" away from losing steam. He's built up some goodwill over the past year that won't just evaporate overnight. 

And even if a sizable portion of audience does turn on Cody, that doesn't necessarily mean the WWE will change direction anyways. The WWE did perfectly fine with John Cena at the top even as he wrestled countless televised shows where he was getting mixed reactions or outright booed. In the end, he sold merch, he delivered in the main event, and he kept the company's house show business afloat. If Cody can do those three things for the next 2 months, he's getting the strap.

I'm thinking that Triple H is seeing that he has two guaranteed home run moments at Mania and there's simply no reason to do anything shocking or to try to "swerve" the fans. The audience is clamoring for Sami and KO to reunite and they're clamoring for the Usos to get their comeuppance (and maybe even tease a real split?) and they're also clamoring for Cody Rhodes to get his emotional victory and for Roman Reigns to be defeated. When you can do all four of those things, why fuck around just to appease the keyboard bookers who are going to criticize things no matter what they do? 

I know nobody here is coming outright and saying it, but this idea that they're missing out on making a star out of Sami Zayn unless he's the one to beat Roman are really underselling how fucking good Sami Zayn is. This dude is already a star now. If they don't capitalize on him after WrestleMania, then that's stupid. 

And if you allow me to put my own keyboard booker hat on, I see Zayn as maybe the next Eddie Guerrero post-Mania. The Master Strategist who might just have come so close to the title that he now believe he deserves it more than anyone else. A guy that learned its a dog-eat-dog world in the WWE and is now willing to lie, cheat, and steal his way to being a World Champion. A guy that once tied his fortunes to the Kevin Owens and Roman Reigns of the world, but is now going to be the puppet master and not the doll on the string. Sami has that kind of range and could very well go from being a pseudo-ally to Cody Rhodes to someone who will burst Cody's wholesome and naive bubble. 

Also worth noting: the crowd LOVES Sami interacting with Jey. It could lead to heartbreak, with Jey interfering against Zayn, or they could even tag at some point (which I would 100% enjoy tbh). Their story is as important, if not more, than the story between Sami and Roman. 

Like, this whole Bloodline stable began by Roman being abusive as fuck towards his cousins, specially Main Event Jey. For it to come full circle would be dope as fuck.