Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 5/10 - 5/23

Timbo Slice

Tony announcing there's gonna be an announcement next week :lol: Gotta be Collision.

Man, Daniel García has gotten worse since joining JAS. At this point he's just another guy in the ring, when that was supposed to be thing that compensated all the other things he lacked as a performer.

Saw the last part of the main event (from Mox getting slammed on the glass, gawd damn) and if this angle doesn't lead to at least Ibushi showing up and turning the tides towards the Elite then this feud is gonna feel very underwhelming to me. I guess it will depend on what the match is for DoN and if the BCC wins so they can continue to set up Kenny getting the final W eventually.

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

Man, Daniel García has gotten worse since joining JAS. At this point he's just another guy in the ring, when that was supposed to be thing that compensated all the other things he lacked as a performer.

Co-signed on Garcia.  I thought he was supposed to be some kind of PWG ring general but he's become just another guy like you said.  

Word is that WBD gave AEW a fat money deal, part of was making all their non ROH content exclusive. At least AEW TV is finally going to have the time it needs, and having to do a soft brand split means you have to use more people since there will be some folks not crossing party lines. 

6 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Miro is back... for about 20 seconds.

..and obviously teased to make further appearances and get involved in an angle down the line? Like Renee was right outside Tony Khan's office looking for answers that she couldn't get. Clearly building to something, probably connected to the new Saturday show.

Daniel Garcia almost needs to go even bigger with the Sports-Entertainment elements in my eyes (the half-shirt is a step in the right direction, but why is he the only guy in the JAS without a stupid hat?).

I also thought they should've built to this match against OC more. Building it based on one previous tag match seems like downplaying what could be a good longer-term rival and interesting dynamic considering that Cassidy is the epitome of a guy whose wrestling is terrific, but stands out because of the sports-entertainment elements of his act. Besides, even a fighting champion shouldn't have to defend his title against just anyone and Garcia's last major match was a loss to Adam Cole. 

But, yeah, looking at OC's past couple opponents that have really shined - Buddy Matthews, The Butcher, Bandido, even Jarrett - we're talking about some larger-than-life characters. Matthews not only looks like a freak, but he's got the dark, brooding House of Black gimmick behind him. The Butcher is a tattoo-covered brute. The Bandido match was built around it being a lucha-flavored defense and Bandido has his share of signature taunts and moves. Jarrett is friggin' Jarrett. Daniel Garcia might be technically better than some or all of them, but he certainly doesn't come across as more interesting than any of them right now. 

Call me a delusional mark, but this episode really felt like the beginning of AEW regaining momentum and becoming hot again.

Jungle Boy and Sammy Guevara still should NOT be in the main event of DoN though, and the promos only reinforced that. It should be MJF v. Darby in a singles match.  

Garcia would've been better off sticking with "Red Death" and joining the BCC instead of ever aligning with JAS. Might've been redundant with Yuta there, just seems like a much better fit with what Garcia had established early on. He's more in the BCC mold than Yuta. Eventually challenged Danielson and took over the group. Or Danielson wins, they shake hands and Garcia realizes it's not his time yet, etc.

15 minutes ago, MLB said:

Garcia would've been better off sticking with "Red Death" and joining the BCC instead of ever aligning with JAS. Might've been redundant with Yuta there, just seems like a much better fit with what Garcia had established early on. He's more in the BCC mold than Yuta.

I get the move in terms of wanting him to try new things and giving him more time with the mic and his character. But so far he's just become a replaceable midcarde, not someone who has grown as a wrestler.

I agree with @DMJ , he should go bigger with the "sports entertainer" shtick. Just don't give a fuck and see what comes out of that.

1 hour ago, DMJ said:

But, yeah, looking at OC's past couple opponents that have really shined - Buddy Matthews, The Butcher, Bandido, even Jarrett - we're talking about some larger-than-life characters. Matthews not only looks like a freak, but he's got the dark, brooding House of Black gimmick behind him. The Butcher is a tattoo-covered brute. The Bandido match was built around it being a lucha-flavored defense and Bandido has his share of signature taunts and moves. Jarrett is friggin' Jarrett. Daniel Garcia might be technically better than some or all of them, but he certainly doesn't come across as more interesting than any of them right now. 

I feel like I watched a different OC/Garcia match than everybody else. Yes, Garcia's look sucks right now, but he was doing plenty of heatseeking schtick throughout the match, including a cute bit during the PIP commercial break where he faked the ringside crowd into clearing out for Cassidy to be thrown into the seats, only to throw him back in the ring with a shrug. He's landed on one of the most obnoxious in-ring dances that I can remember; he outright yelled "SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT" to boos at one point. If he cranks up the act any further, he's probably going to generate more go-away heat than actual animosity from the fans.

As it was, there was plenty of heat in the match, which was pretty good! Cassidy has a lot to do with that, of course, but Garcia played his half pretty well, displaying a solid mean streak through the final stretch. I've been down on Garcia in the past and he still has some adjustments to make, but I thought that was as good as he's ever looked in AEW.

9 hours ago, MoS said:

..and obviously teased to make further appearances and get involved in an angle down the line? Like Renee was right outside Tony Khan's office looking for answers that she couldn't get. Clearly building to something, probably connected to the new Saturday show.

Oh, for sure. I know why they did it the way they did, but still, it was funny. Miro's been gone for eight months and just shows up for a short vignette. 

Of course, they'll give him something to do, which is always a plus. 

3 hours ago, MoS said:

Call me a delusional mark, but this episode really felt like the beginning of AEW regaining momentum and becoming hot again.

Jungle Boy and Sammy Guevara still should NOT be in the main event of DoN though, and the promos only reinforced that. It should be MJF v. Darby in a singles match.  

I'm with you. The discourse~!!!! feels more optimistic, and some of it has to do with Punk and the new show.

The problem with doing an MJF/Darby rematch is that I feel Darby should win that one, and they don't seem too keen on taking the belt off of Max.

The pillars videos were all pretty interesting to me. Particularly the Darby one, but also MJF is way better in that format than in front of a live crowd screaming and smark baiting. Also neat to have Christian putting over Jungle Boy while still being the turtleneck heel shit head.

Now, that’s more like the Dynamite I love. Awesome matches in front of a molten crowd and we feel like we’re trucking somewhere. Even Jericho is watchable now that he’s leaning back into oblivious, arrogant idiot mode. Miro and Thunder Rosa coming back felt like it was on the cards but everything surrounding Collision is ridiculously exciting, even if not for all the right reasons.

Also, how the fuck do they book the Wembley card? I assume the card is pretty much set in stone but this is a preposterous roster of talent

Agree with everyone here this was a great Dynamite.  Claudio/Fenix was a great opener and Fenix continually does some of the coolest things I've seen in wrestling.  I like Garcia more than a lot of people here and I thought the Orange match was great.  However, I do agree with some of the presentation critiques.  When he was the Red Death, his performances were more animalistic and guttural and when he wrestled his presence along with his weird styles of movement provided a really unique perspective to me.  The sports entertainment gimmick has muted his more unique aspects and made him more regular.  Besides those opening matches, loved the Christian promo, think it's a great presentation change to have the House of Black matches in a blacked-out arena, and the main event was fantastic.

On 5/11/2023 at 10:54 AM, The Man in Blak said:

he was doing plenty of heatseeking schtick throughout the match, including a cute bit during the PIP commercial break where he faked the ringside crowd into clearing out for Cassidy to be thrown into the seats, only to throw him back in the ring with a shrug. He's landed on one of the most obnoxious in-ring dances that I can remember; he outright yelled "SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT" to boos at one point. If he cranks up the act any further, he's probably going to generate more go-away heat than actual animosity from the fans.

As it was, there was plenty of heat in the match, which was pretty good! Cassidy has a lot to do with that, of course, but Garcia played his half pretty well, displaying a solid mean streak through the final stretch. I've been down on Garcia in the past and he still has some adjustments to make, but I thought that was as good as he's ever looked in AEW.

Agreed, I've been loving Garcia's work more than ever lately.  He's been on fire since Supercard with Tanahashi at least. His dance kills me every time. 

Garcia being in JAS is like an excursion to me. We know this isn’t his final form but they’re throwing him into something out of his comfort zone and he’s growing. If he went straight into BCC then he would just be mini-me Danielson. He needs more than that to be a star on his own two feet. So let him do the Jericho protege thing until he eventually turns and feud with him and/or Guevara. I think he’s doing great.