Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/23 - Grand Slam With No Apostrophes

Timbo Slice

6 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Edge beating MJF for the belt would be hilarious.

Nah, fuck this. If it's anyone, it should be Christian.

Edge has never, ever - at any point in his career - been as good as Christian.

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

I feel like if Starks doesn't get a big push now, Tony is gonna lose him to WWE like he did Jade (and Cody, who recruited Jade to the E' and is very close to Ricky).

If this happens, it's more proof of what I've been saying all along: Tony Khan fucked up colossally by letting Cody walk away. Still the only grown-up in the room among the EVPs, and it has created a ripple effect of unforeseen consequences - first Jade, maybe Sparks, and who knows who/what else. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

I think it would get "fuck this company" kind of heat. The kind WWE loved to get from 2014 to 2020 and the kind AEW was kind of built on never making the fans go through it.

Yeah but "fuck the company" heat became a rallying cry and created stars for WWE like Bryan, Punk and Cody. It made Cena (and Roman) a lightning rod.

I think Starks has to be the next champion, he’s been absolutely must watch since Collision began and is proving he can go in the ring along with the charisma and promos. He’s slowly becoming the complete package.

I would also go Christian Vs MJF at Full Gear if the rumours about Edge are true. Christian is probably the top heel at the moment and that books itself.

10 hours ago, MLB said:

Yeah but "fuck the company" heat became a rallying cry and created stars for WWE like Bryan, Punk and Cody. It made Cena (and Roman) a lightning rod.

It also had WWE having awful numbers and business being saved only because of TV deals, Peacock and Saudis, plust they were the only big promotion in the US. It wasn't unltil they stopped booking to make people mad at the company that they started to gain big steam and having this mini boom they are having.

AEW is not in a position like WWE were they can rely on income that's independent of the quality of their own product and pissing off their fanbase will be more costly. Specially when the alternative (WWE) is such a hot product.

Only way it would work if Edge has enough pull among WWE only fans to make the jump. And I highly doubt that's the case.

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

It also had WWE having awful numbers and business being saved only because of TV deals, Peacock and Saudis, plust they were the only big promotion in the US. It wasn't unltil they stopped booking to make people mad at the company that they started to gain big steam and having this mini boom they are having.

AEW is not in a position like WWE were they can rely on income that's independent of the quality of their own product and pissing off their fanbase will be more costly. Specially when the alternative (WWE) is such a hot product.

Only way it would work if Edge has enough pull among WWE only fans to make the jump. And I highly doubt that's the case.

The confounding variable here is AEW’s fanbase have shown they are pretty reliable, especially in terms of how monetizable they are. They might be having trouble selling tickets right now, but when it comes time to fill a big arena or throw down money for a PPV, they pretty much always do better than you would predict, even for niche products like an NJPW crossover. I honestly don’t think there is a statistically meaningful contingent of AEW fans for whom a main event Edge run would be a dealbreaker, so therefore the question is whether there is a CM Punk-sized contribution that Edge can make, in terms of his fans and more general WWE fans, given TK seemed more than satisfied with the return on investment from Punk. My intuition says that the answer would have been yes in 2019, when Edge was considering WWE vs AEW for his return, but no right now after a “meh” three year run, but that’s just a guess. Maybe he could be the Rated R edgelord guy more thoroughly in AEW than he could be in modern WWE, thereby reviving interest.

2 hours ago, Embrodak said:

The confounding variable here is AEW’s fanbase have shown they are pretty reliable, especially in terms of how monetizable they are. They might be having trouble selling tickets right now, but when it comes time to fill a big arena or throw down money for a PPV, they pretty much always do better than you would predict, even for niche products like an NJPW crossover. I honestly don’t think there is a statistically meaningful contingent of AEW fans for whom a main event Edge run would be a dealbreaker, so therefore the question is whether there is a CM Punk-sized contribution that Edge can make, in terms of his fans and more general WWE fans, given TK seemed more than satisfied with the return on investment from Punk. My intuition says that the answer would have been yes in 2019, when Edge was considering WWE vs AEW for his return, but no right now after a “meh” three year run, but that’s just a guess. Maybe he could be the Rated R edgelord guy more thoroughly in AEW than he could be in modern WWE, thereby reviving interest.

My point is that by making Edge debut and "skipping line" (which is something I personally don't care, but a lot of fans love to make a big deal out of) by being the one to dethrone MJF, AEW would be testing that loyalty for no good reason.

- I'm not sure why people assume Edge would challenge for the World Championship. To my eyes, it seems like the booking strategy right now is to continue to milk the story with Adam Cole and seem to be building to Strong/MJF with Cole as a guest ref or playing some big factor. Maybe they're holding out in case Kyle O'Reilly can come in soon? Also, is Page/Swerve a No. 1 contender's match? Either guy seems like they could be an interesting challenger for Max on a big TV show.

- As for Edge...if I were TK, I'd book him right into the tag division. FTR have been talking about being the best tag team of all time, have Edge debut and Christian convince him to go after FTR and prove them wrong. Supposedly, FTR are pretty tight with Edge so there's plenty of trust there. I think you could easily do a story where its sort of FTR (babyfaces) vs. Christian (Heel) and Edge (Babyface who is partnering with Christian out of obligation/loyalty and is a bit uneasy about it, but also wants to prove that he and Christian are the real best tag team ever). FTR wins and you segue into a Christian/Edge feud on TV. If I'm not mistaken, Edge was a big Sting fan and you could potentially get to a Sting/Edge/Darby vs. Christian/Luchasaurus/Random Heel Who Hates Darby (which is basically every heel on the roster) that way. Also, just based on his last run, my guess is that Edge wants to work against some of the top guys he didn't work extensively with and "missed" during his retirement - Omega, maybe Moxley, maybe Claudio, and, yes, maybe MJF and Cole too. 

But I don't see TK just hot-shotting the title onto a 49 year old who will likely be working a very limited schedule when, historically, I think TK has more often than not brought in a relatively big name only to let them languish a bit in the midcard/upper midcard rather than give them an immediate main event run (Aleister Black, Andrade, and Keith Lee come to mind...)

11 hours ago, DMJ said:

But I don't see TK just hot-shotting the title onto a 49 year old who will likely be working a very limited schedule when, historically, I think TK has more often than not brought in a relatively big name only to let them languish a bit in the midcard/upper midcard rather than give them an immediate main event run (Aleister Black, Andrade, and Keith Lee come to mind...)

Edge is a much bigger star than all three of those guys combined. With that said, having him come in and win the AEW title right off the bat would be as dumb as bringing Kurt Angle into TNA and having him end Samoa Joe's unbeaten streak right away. In both cases, you're talking about a guy who's a big enough star that he doesn't really gain anything from the rub but isn't a game-changer to the degree where you can justify rebuilding the company around him.

I feel like you guys are leaving out the part where OC beats Edge in an exciting match, that is the rub. I wasn't suggesting that Edge would steamroll MJF or anything, it'd be an opportunistic win.

Edge doesn't need the rub per se, but he would be in a different environment under his own name and would need to make a big splash, get some heat.

I just wanna Edge and Christian to have that Sting/Luger dynamic. They are best pals in earnest but one is a babyface and the other a heel. That whole thing was so good.

Also, yeah: OC getting the top belt wouldn't be bad when he's great by every possible metric you could put out there. Popular, people watch his stuff, can work circles around most (I still haven't forgotten how he was the better worker in his match against Ospreay), sells merch.

Besides, how would the Cole/MJF partnership be when one is chasing the title?