Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/23 - Grand Slam With No Apostrophes

Timbo Slice

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on Earth was the Mox-Fenix match not immediately stopped when it became readily evident that he was far too injured to wrestle. Now that Tony Khan has apparently decided he is a boss, maybe he should also fire these spectacularly incompetent nepo hires like Rick Knox who only got jobs cuz they are friends with the EVPs. 

2 hours ago, MoS said:

Why on Earth was the Mox-Fenix match not immediately stopped when it became readily evident that he was far too injured to wrestle. Now that Tony Khan has apparently decided he is a boss, maybe he should also fire these spectacularly incompetent nepo hires like Rick Knox who only got jobs cuz they are friends with the EVPs. 

Per Wade Keller, amazingly enough, Mox's injury happened during the pre-match brawl (I suspect it happened on the Rey Fenix dive from the ramp. If you watch it again, Mox was really shaken up and struggled to get back on his feet afterwards). Mox changed the finish at the end of the match, which makes me wonder if Fenix was supposed to win the title in the first place. Keller also mentions that Mox isn't expected to be out for a long time.

3 hours ago, MoS said:

Not only was the match not stopped, the clearly unconscious man was picked up for another piledriver. Incredible levels of incompetence

7 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Per Wade Keller, amazingly enough, Mox's injury happened during the pre-match brawl (I suspect it happened on the Rey Fenix dive from the ramp. If you watch it again, Mox was really shaken up and struggled to get back on his feet afterwards). 

Wow, did not know/catch that, thanks. So the ramp is 3-0 against AEW wrestlers so far, huh 

There's no such thing as shaking off spaghetti legs. At least, there shouldn't be. Either the referee or medical personnel needs to intervene when someone shows signs of being concussed. Also, this is another reason why pro wrestling selling should be as theatrical as possible. When wrestlers sell realistically, it makes it harder to tell if they're legitimately injured.

28 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

There's no such thing as shaking off spaghetti legs. At least, there shouldn't be. Either the referee or medical personnel needs to intervene when someone shows signs of being concussed. Also, this is another reason why pro wrestling selling should be as theatrical as possible. When wrestlers sell realistically, it makes it harder to tell if they're legitimately injured.

Why can't wrestlers and inring talent just figure out a way to communicate to the relevant principals that they are legitimately injured, regardless of how they are selling? We as fans do not need to know, the people working do. If there is a system in place for cases of legit injury, I do not see why wrestling selling style would be an issue. Of course, in order for this to be effectuated, refs need to be far more competent than Knox clearly is

Really the only solution is to have your referees actually trained in concussion protocol and give them enough authority to stop it or at least feed back to gorilla position to stop it

Think we know too much about all this now to allow it to carry on when it should be stopped

I watched a few bits of this earlier after reading a lot of furore and he's clearly fucked for most of the match. It's really not good. 

1 hour ago, MoS said:

Why can't wrestlers and inring talent just figure out a way to communicate to the relevant principals that they are legitimately injured, regardless of how they are selling? We as fans do not need to know, the people working do. If there is a system in place for cases of legit injury, I do not see why wrestling selling style would be an issue. Of course, in order for this to be effectuated, refs need to be far more competent than Knox clearly is

The problem is that wrestlers can't be trusted to self-report because they invariably downplay the severity of their injuries. In particular, someone who's suffered a traumatic brain injury can't be expected to give an accurate assessment of their well-being. In the clip above, you can see Moxley squeezed Fenix's hand to signal that he was OK, but he clearly wasn't. Also recall the time Daniel Bryan nearly got into a fight with HHH over the latter calling for a match to be stopped.

2 hours ago, NotJayTabb said:

Rick Knox was also the ref for that clip that briefly went viral last year, where Alex Reynolds got knocked out in a tag match, and his lifeless body got dragged to the corner so someone else could tag in. 

Yet no blame will be put on him. What a schmuck! If he can’t keep talent safe. Then why is a referee?

I have been an MJF fan and defender since AEW started, I have said since the beginning that he might be better as a face - and I would always point out that his idol Piper actually spent more time as a face than as a heel - and even I am stunned at how mega-over he is getting as a face. Every week he feels twice as over as he was a week before. Being a face also helps his in-ring work, and he has been making great leaps there as well. Now I just want him to drop the extremely corny "Devil" masks and references, and just embrace who he is. He really might just become a generational star, draw, and wrestler.