Pro Wrestling Only

Hall of Fame 2024

flyonthewall2983

On 3/11/2024 at 3:03 PM, JRH said:

Muhammad Ali is going in. Considering his importance to wrestling it's long overdue (too bad that he's not alive to give the speech though).

Not only that, you have to consider pro wrestling's importance to his career. He grew up watching it on TV and that's where he learned that promos are the key to drawing money. He also channeled that into playing the heel role so even the people who didn't like him would pay to see him get beat.

22 hours ago, JRH said:

Considering that 1) he should be headlining his class and 2) his father & uncle are already inducted in this year's class, I think it's fair enough. I don't see anyone other than Paul Heyman headlining in Philadelphia. I'm sure Barry Windham & Mike Rotunda will do Bray right during their speech. Let Bray headline next year. Besides, lots is gonna be talked about with the doc on Peacock coming up on April 1.

3 hours ago, JRH said:

Personally, I think the Wyatt Family as a whole (not counting Danielson's stint of course) should be inducted.

Some may say "but Braun Strowman and Rowan are still very much active", but shit, that stable not only produced some of the greatest matches in modern WWE history, but HALF of them passed away way too fucking soon. It would be well deserved as a tribute.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Keith Lee just ended up on camera at the HOF. I wonder how that will go over with Tony. 

Meanwhile, WWE did not let Lex Luger, that super relevant TV character in 2024, appear on camera for Sting's retirement. If I'm Tony Khan, I don't give a shit. Just be better (it's not hard at all). Plus, really, Keith Lee really is not exactly a big part of AEW's programs anyway and probably won't be either in the future. I would not be surprised if the guy ends up retiring soon, so many health issues. He's also one guy I could see jumping back to WWE as soon as his contract ends (if WWE wants him back). 

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Meanwhile, WWE did not let Lex Luger, that super relevant TV character in 2024, appear on camera for Sting's retirement. If I'm Tony Khan, I don't give a shit. Just be better (it's not hard at all). Plus, really, Keith Lee really is not exactly a big part of AEW's programs anyway and probably won't be either in the future. I would not be surprised if the guy ends up retiring soon, so many health issues. He's also one guy I could see jumping back to WWE as soon as his contract ends (if WWE wants him back). 

It was a weird appearance, though. CM Punk was backstage talking about Seth and Drew, and Lee just entered the screen behind him. If the camera panned to him in the crowd, I'd think WWE would be super fucking petty, but at this specific context it seems that Keith Lee was just going into business for himself.

12 hours ago, sek69 said:

Goddamn I missed seeing Big E on TV.

I've been watching WWE: Next Gen & he's one of the judges on there. It's basically just a new Tough Enough with a different name but it has been a fun, entertaining watch. It's on the Roku Channel.

Paul Heyman's Hall of Fame speech was the only one that I watched but I'm glad that I watched it. It did feel pretty carny but, I mean, that makes sense. I'm more excited that WWE Shop restocked some ECW merch, so I have an ECW hat coming again. I've not had one since high school, where I wore one damn near everyday until it fell apart. So glad to get a new one.

6 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

It was a weird appearance, though. CM Punk was backstage talking about Seth and Drew, and Lee just entered the screen behind him. If the camera panned to him in the crowd, I'd think WWE would be super fucking petty, but at this specific context it seems that Keith Lee was just going into business for himself.

I don't think it's that weird. There have been AEW talent at every HOF since AEW started, usually WWE makes sure to not get them on camera.

8 hours ago, Coffey said:

Paul Heyman's Hall of Fame speech was the only one that I watched but I'm glad that I watched it. It did feel pretty carny but, I mean, that makes sense. I'm more excited that WWE Shop restocked some ECW merch, so I have an ECW hat coming again. I've not had one since high school, where I wore one damn near everyday until it fell apart. So glad to get a new one

It occurred to me watching his speech that if pro wrestling manifested itself into a human being, it would be Paul Heyman. Creative, entertaining, a little sleazy, and passionate as hell. When he put the coat and hat on, that wasn't Special Counsel (My Name Is) Paul Heyman, that was fuckin' Paul E cutting a promo behind a shitty bingo hall in 1994 making you remember why you love this shit in the first place.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:43 PM, The Thread Killer said:

Delivering speeches in front of a live Philadelphia crowd must be a total nightmare. I really wish this was still a banquet type deal instead of in front of a bunch of mouth breathers.

Normally I'm also not a fan of the arena HOF shows either, Paul E absolutely had to get inducted in front of an arena full of Philly mouth breathers as God intended.