Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV - 1/29 - 2/2 - BROCK PURDY IS THE HEAD OF THE TABLE

Timbo Slice

2 hours ago, DMJ said:

It will be interesting to see how they try to spin Cody blatantly saying that he would not challenge Roman at Mania and then adding himself back into the match.

Every idea I've seen is worse than him just coming out and saying, "On second thought, no, I want the match after all," which doesn't make a lick of sense but at least will allow them to just pretend last Friday's segment didn't happen. 

Rock getting injured by Roman's minions would give Cody a way back in.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wild is that Cody is the most over babyface going against the most over heel for the most important belt at the most important event they have.

Not even getting into the "Rock vs Roman is a bigger match" thing, but they didn't need to do all of that in order to put out the flames of a federal investigation. In fact, maybe doing that the way they did had the opposite effect.

4 hours ago, Sweet Brown Koko said:

Question: Why is The Rock NEEDED on the board? What is he bringing to the table? I know that Dwayne has a good brand (Outside of this weekend) but is that worth screwing up Mania? 

If he really wants to wrestle, I think next year would have been better, although not guaranteed. Cody wins at Mania, Rock gets involved to help Cody, big rematch at SummerSlam, and then from there build Rock and Roman to head to Mania 41.

Rock getting the Mania main event the way he did and then the event being held in PHILADELPHIA is just asking for it. At this point, the reaction to all of the drama far outweighs the actual slated main event. 

And then if The Rock wants to WIN………

Oh boy! 

You answered your own question there on why Rock would be an asset on the board. He has a massive brand as the top action star in Hollywood, which he's mostly built from the hard work of him and his team. And no, a single flop in Black Adam doesn't mean his star power has suddenly cratered. He's already on of the top merch sellers in WWE according to recent reports. He also doesn't have much of a history of being a Vince stooge, so having his backing could be pretty important in helping the company weather the storm if the lawsuit ends up as bad as it's looking.

There is no "screwing up Mania." It's simple math that having 2 marquee men's matches, one being arguably the biggest in company history and the other helping build credibility for a secondary title, is better than just 1 marquee match while Seth fights some random dude for his "loser's bracket title." Roman doesn't have to lose his title ASAP, particularly when they're still doing massive business and have just managed to bring in a new key player in the storyline. It's ok to have Cody trading Seth's title for a bit to establish some sort of lineage for that belt and let Cody/Roman marinate a while longer.

19 minutes ago, fxnj said:

You answered your own question there on why Rock would be an asset on the board. He has a massive brand as the top action star in Hollywood, which he's mostly built from the hard work of him and his team. And no, a single flop in Black Adam doesn't mean his star power has suddenly cratered. He's already on of the top merch sellers in WWE according to recent reports. He also doesn't have much of a history of being a Vince stooge, so having his backing could be pretty important in helping the company weather the storm if the lawsuit ends up as bad as it's looking.

There is no "screwing up Mania." It's simple math that having 2 marquee men's matches, one being arguably the biggest in company history and the other helping build credibility for a secondary title, is better than just 1 marquee match while Seth fights some random dude for his "loser's bracket title." Roman doesn't have to lose his title ASAP, particularly when they're still doing massive business and have just managed to bring in a new key player in the storyline. It's ok to have Cody trading Seth's title for a bit to establish some sort of lineage for that belt and let Cody/Roman marinate a while longer.

I’m still not *quite* there with what you’re saying, but I do appreciate the feedback.

In the 80’s, Arnold and Sly were equivalents to The Rock box office wise. You could get a solid action movie from them but certainly nothing Oscar worthy. With training, I believe both Arnold and Sly could have wrestled a match, ala Mr. T.

Should THEY have been possible WWF board members in the 80’s based on their popularity and ability to sell various types of merchandise? I would consider them more “special attractions”. I consider The Rock a “special attraction” as well. 

I am just not getting where his Q Rating translates to a board seat. Maybe he has connections that could lead to different sponsorships? Are his merchandise sales *THAT* impressive to warrant a seat?

I also understand his family lineage in relation to the company he is now a part of. That would make sense to me. 

I guess it’s a combination of all of this in some way? This still disconnects to me, in some respects……

The Rock remains one of the top 3 biggest (US) pro-wrestling stars ever too, BTW. So, it's not just Hollywood stats here.

No one in the real world knows who the fuck Cody Rhodes is. Nor Roman Reigns, mind you. Everybody knows who The Rock is. 

1 minute ago, El-P said:

The Rock remains one of the top 3 biggest (US) pro-wrestling stars ever too, BTW. So, it's not just Hollywood stats here.

No one in the real world knows who the fuck Cody Rhodes is. Nor Roman Reigns, mind you. Everybody knows who The Rock is. 

Fair point.

So having him on your team will bring eyeballs to your product, for sure. I don’t have much faith in his ring work now due to his age and likelihood of injury. I could see him in a ceremonial figurehead role like Vince should have been but I guess Endeavor wanted a more expansive relationship.

I am happy for him and his family. I was just weighing why he wasn’t brought in under a talent contract vs. giving him a board seat.

The Rock tried to pull a coup on WARNER BROS. It failed, but he does have *some* pull.

How he got there is a curious story. Remember that he tried to go as Dwayne Johnson and not "The Rock" when he first started doing his movies? Maybe he thought being tied to professional wrestling, at least in the beginning of his career, would be damaging to him. While I don't blame him for trying to divorce from such a fucking scummy business, he was never going to make it without the brand name recognition.

He has done MULTIPLE successful blockbusters. Jumanji, Fast and the goddamn Furious, Moana. He has his own tequila brand, he was operating in the XFL, he has other business ventures, too.

The Rock has become a marquee name. A successful entrepreneur. Him selling t-shirts on WWE is but a fraction of the reason he is on the board right now. 

There's a VERY good summary of his career here, made by Patrick Willems.

15 minutes ago, Sweet Brown Koko said:

So having him on your team will bring eyeballs to your product, for sure. I don’t have much faith in his ring work now due to his age and likelihood of injury.

For sure. Especially with him being on NoWellnessPolicy diet, at his age. If he does that Mania match and doesn't get injured (like he did after the last Cena match, or even both of them ?), it's gonna be a miracle.

14 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

How he got there is a curious story. Remember that he tried to go as Dwayne Johnson and not "The Rock" when he first started doing his movies? Maybe he thought being tied to professional wrestling, at least in the beginning of his career, would be damaging to him. While I don't blame him for trying to divorce from such a fucking scummy business, he was never going to make it without the brand name recognition.

It's funny because from what I can hear from a non-wrestling fan context in France, he's known just as much as The Rock as he is Dwayne Johnson. Which is pretty unique. Like the wrestling name did translate to his Hollywood career without him using it.

2 hours ago, fxnj said:

That reads a lot like Dave getting worked by a source looking to stoke anti-Dwayne sentiment. As bad as the booking can be, I'm pretty sure they'd have went about adding Dwayne to the match in a much less heavy handed way if it was anything but an absolute last minute thing. I'd be fine with Dwayne taking over for H, though. Too much stink on him with the Vince thing and that Rumble press conference response has to be up there for worst crisis management from a top exec.

That’s possible, but I suspected the WM main event was a precondition of the Rock joining the board once this all went down. Whether that was a Rock requirement or a TKO requirement I could not say.

The talks about the Rock joining was that he insisted he won the title at WM, which my guess is that TKO said no to, but it damn sure sounds like Gerwitz is in line to be head writer once Paul(s) is(are) predictably gone. Also, by the sounds of who else was backstage last Friday night, the idea that it’s a full scale replacement of creative and production is gaining steam, so deduction seems to lean towards Rock getting his seat and having his guy(s) in place at the very least.

I wouldn’t put it past Rock to still jockey to win the title, and then talk about a full reset for TV the week after WM, a “fresh start” and the end of an era and what not. It does seem like an overstep when the true answer is to clean house but at least maintain the creative, but you wonder if TKO will be convinced to go completely brand new with creative to remove any and all Vince-related choices. 

6 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

I wouldn’t put it past Rock to still jockey to win the title, and then talk about a full reset for TV the week after WM, a “fresh start” and the end of an era and what not. 

IF, and that's a big-ass IF, they clean the fuck of the entire company by that point, that would not be the worst idea, at the very least to make a clear cut move that goes beyond the backstage and office stuff. If it's too soon, they could very well do it for the Netflix debut.