Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV - 1/29 - 2/2 - BROCK PURDY IS THE HEAD OF THE TABLE

Timbo Slice

I'm sure this is all being done out of a sense of professionalism, but how did Cody not threaten to walk over this? The look on his face when he hugged Rock clearly said "I'm not remotely OK with any of this." Not only is his win getting delayed AGAIN, but he was also made to look like the biggest coward and geek in the world for saying "I know I have a guaranteed title shot with you at the biggest stage in the world, but I'm going to give it to this guy instead for no discernible reason."

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully expected Roman vs. Rock as soon as Rocky came back with the "head of the table" promo. Punk wins the Rumble to challenge Rollins, Rock shows up to challenge Roman and Cody finds something else to do for the next year. Again. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. The build for Roman/Rock and Cody/Whatever would determine that.

But having Cody win the Rumble just to come out and cuck himself on live TV? *That* was an audible I did not see coming and makes absolutely everyone look like absolute trash. Just a mind bogglingly poor decision. Then again, it may not matter. Perhaps crowds crap all over everything in protest like some 2014 2.0. Or perhaps between the crowd sweetening and current fans its no big deal. But I still have no idea how they thought this is the way.

Rock wanted Black Adam, who is Shazam's rival, to go toe to toe versus Cavill's Superman. Wouldn't even give Shazam a second thought.

He had a huge battle of egos with Statham and Vin Diesel on the set of Fast and Furious, he couldn't lose against them on screen, or even look like he was going to lose.

That man fucking sucks. Hogan-esque in his delusion, he might even push for getting that win over Roman.

I feel like, if they were going the path of Rock Vs. Roman, they should have just not had Cody win the Royal Rumble again. I get that maybe The Rock wasn't available to be #30 in the Rumble, or didn't want to, or whatever... but they went about this all the worst possible way. It now makes Seth & Punk look like schmucks, lessens what winning the Rumble means and kinda shits on two years or storyline build. 

Of course, they also didn't know that C.M. Punk was going to get hurt in the Rumble or that the Vince McMahon shit was going to blow up & name-drop Brock Lesnar, so I get that they had to scramble to come up with something but how is that something Cody Vs Seth 4 when they've already done a Hell in a Cell and Cody is up 3-0??

We still have Elimination Chamber & I know that social media is going crazy shitting on The Rock & saying everyone wants Cody. I'm not even against Rock Vs. Roman, they just did it the wrong way.

In lighter discussion, I was thinking that part of why Rhea is so good right now is she is simultaneously the most dominant, marketable, and possibly over person in her division *and* having a great run as a manager/valet. Her versus Becky at WM is absolutely as hype to me as, say, Punk vs Seth would have been, plus she’ll be doing distractions, reactions, and cheating in the corner for either a Dom match or a Priest/Balor tag title defense.

58 minutes ago, Sweet Brown Koko said:

If I am Cody, I don’t go back on TV until The Rock goes out in front of the fans and explains why all this happened the way it did. HE should have to take the heat, not Cody. Cody shouldn’t have to try to explain this nonsense.

They are going to Lex Luger Cody…….

That's entirely logical. On the other hand, he's probably earning seven figures multiple times over to go out there and take that bullet on behalf of the company. I'd find a way to swallow it too. But they're not paying me to do so which makes it a lot harder.

Rock joining the TKO board and immediately heavily pushing for and getting the WM main event with Roman screams of the same attempted takeover of the DCEU he thought he could do and ended up burning most of his good will in Hollywood. And now he's doing the same thing in the wrestling world. Really fascinating so see Rock just flop with everything all at once after the last 7 or 8 years.

1 hour ago, Dav'oh said:

What if....they never had any intention of anointing Cody in the first place, upon signing? Empty promises and wrestling promoters go hand-in-hand.

Vince personally got him into WWE. That has to count for something... And speaking of which, really, if I was Cody right now, I would be less upset about the fact I got Dwayned than by the idea that I flew to meet with a sex-trafficking rapist, and that *this* guy convinced me to leave the company I founded with my then-friends and comrades to make a positive change in the landscape. Who know what text messages he was sending before and after the meeting. That alone would keep me awaken at night right now.

As far as the Rock goes, newsflash : he's a much, MUCH bigger star than anyone in the WWE today. And he's on the TKO board. 

The WWE Universe (tm) being upset about them not getting their hashtag match in the current context is both way embarrassing and and a bit funny.

I've seen suggestion Cody winning the Rumble was insurance in case the Rock decided to "that doesn't work for me brother" doing Mania this year. Makes sense on paper, you either have the biggest match you could possibly have or you have one you've been building up since last Mania. Of course you end up having the hottest guy in your company look like he's bitching out but its business I suppose.

It also seems that WWE may be pivoting this into an angle due to the response from what the ol interwebs are saying.

12 hours ago, strobogo said:

Rock joining the TKO board and immediately heavily pushing for and getting the WM main event with Roman screams of the same attempted takeover of the DCEU he thought he could do and ended up burning most of his good will in Hollywood. And now he's doing the same thing in the wrestling world. Really fascinating so see Rock just flop with everything all at once after the last 7 or 8 years.

Latest Meltzer stuff suggests the WM main event was included as part of the deal to join the board, though which side insisted on that I do not know. Certainly seems like Dwayne is the favored party to rebuild the creative if Levesque goes down with Vince.

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

I dunno what the fuck they are gonna justify that last Cody promo.

wE'Re tEllInG a sTOrY

Or something.

Rock completely taking over WWE after the remainders of the fucked up McMahon's dynasty, son-in-law included, being disposed of (which is still way too early to tell, but Levesque really came off like an inconsiderate clown at the press conference) for good would be long term karma bitchslap to the max.

49 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

Latest Meltzer stuff suggests the WM main event was included as part of the deal to join the board, though which side insisted on that I do not know. Certainly seems like Dwayne is the favored party to rebuild the creative if Levesque goes down with Vince.

Question: Why is The Rock NEEDED on the board? What is he bringing to the table? I know that Dwayne has a good brand (Outside of this weekend) but is that worth screwing up Mania? 

If he really wants to wrestle, I think next year would have been better, although not guaranteed. Cody wins at Mania, Rock gets involved to help Cody, big rematch at SummerSlam, and then from there build Rock and Roman to head to Mania 41.

Rock getting the Mania main event the way he did and then the event being held in PHILADELPHIA is just asking for it. At this point, the reaction to all of the drama far outweighs the actual slated main event. 

And then if The Rock wants to WIN………

Oh boy! 

It will be interesting to see how they try to spin Cody blatantly saying that he would not challenge Roman at Mania and then adding himself back into the match.

Every idea I've seen is worse than him just coming out and saying, "On second thought, no, I want the match after all," which doesn't make a lick of sense but at least will allow them to just pretend last Friday's segment didn't happen. 

People have been making jokes about "what inning we're in" in reference to the clusterfuck booking going on, but if I were Nick Khan, Triple H, and The Rock, I'd be much more concerned about the fact that the last two weeks are just the beginning of a whole new game involving the FBI, the courts, sex trafficking, and the single most important figure in their company's history. Congratulations to them for changing the headlines, but this Vince story is not going to go away and, ultimately, if the stories that emerge are as extreme and wild as the ones that came out, no amount of controversial booking is going to beat out people learning more about Vince's debauched sexcapades.

4 hours ago, Embrodak said:

That reads a lot like Dave getting worked by a source looking to stoke anti-Dwayne sentiment. As bad as the booking can be, I'm pretty sure they'd have went about adding Dwayne to the match in a much less heavy handed way if it was anything but an absolute last minute thing. I'd be fine with Dwayne taking over for H, though. Too much stink on him with the Vince thing and that Rumble press conference response has to be up there for worst crisis management from a top exec.