Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - February 21 - 24, 2024

MoS

Dead dad hater Christian Cage belongs on SNL. Yes, the show has fallen to all time lows the last couple years but I think it'd make the cut many weeks in a good season.

On the other hand, I might prefer to watch Chris Benoit vs. his family than Timeless Toni Storm at this point. Its quickly become one of the worst gimmicks I can recall and an immediate fast forward/take care of something in the other room moment.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

I get folks not wanting to see him be involved anymore, but Solemn Ric Flair talking to the Evil Bucks was at least an interesting wrinkle on the story.

Agreed. I do not want to see him anymore. At all. Under any circumstances But it still made for a neat interaction and as long as he's not too prominent a part of Revolution there's no real harm.

Damn, Sting with the fire promo almost makes up for the lame follow up on the beatdown angle. Also when he was talking about his father passing away part of me expected Christian to cut in all "so you need a new dad?"

On 2/22/2024 at 9:45 AM, Timbo Slice said:

Hangman broke his foot, it looked like. 

Fightful reporting it's a work, apparently. With a quote from a backstage source being "He's just good at his job"

1 hour ago, MoS said:

Bucks naming their finisher "Tony Khan Driver" has made this gimmick officially jump the shark for me. Absolute nonsense. Like Bischoff saying "Hey, Sid, can't find your scissors?"

Especially when "The Wrath of Khan" was right there.

19 hours ago, C.S. said:

So happy to see the long overdue Christian love!

I had Christian as my number #22 when we did our Top 100s last time around.*

I'm most likely not going to submit a ballot this time around (though, maybe I will just because why not?**), but even just looking at my old list, unless he were to be bumped by a bunch of wrestlers I didn't rank before (very possible), there's a decent chance he moves up at least 3-5 spots and maybe even lands at #15.

I think what puts him over the edge (yeah, yeah) is that unlike his kayfabe brother or Chris Jericho or Angle or some of his other contemporaries, he really has a low rate of cringe. Which is saying something for a guy who spent so much time in TNA. That's not to say Christian hasn't been in some silly angles or done his fair share of comedy and cornball stuff - in fact, he's done a ton of it - but that his performance has always made it work whether it was the Trish/Jericho/Christian love triangle stuff or the Christian Coalition stuff with Tomko and AJ (better than you remember it) or now teaming up with a dinosaur and getting heat by going after dead fathers. When Jericho strikes out in a segment, it is painful to watch. Some of Angle's comedy stuff, to me, was too silly. I could go on with other wrestlers who are really hit-or-miss for me with their characters and promos, before we even talk in-ring stuff (Dustin Rhodes, Booker T, etc.). Christian just has a knack for finding the right space for his character in every situation/setting.

* As I explained when we did the previous GWE, I'm an admittedly ignorant wrestling viewer who has really only watched the major US promotions of the past 35 years - most everything WWE and WCW, followed by ECW and AEW and comparatively much less TNA or ROH - so my list skews heavily (99%) towards American wrestling. I'm not proud of the ethnocentricity of it, but I've also not really got the time or drive to watch 100s of hours of international or pre-80s wrestling, as terrific as it might be, as "homework." 

** On one hand, if everyone voting were like me, you'd have zero votes for Misawa or Kobashi and even my ignorant ass knows that's silly. On the other hand, gatekeeping a fan vote about pro-wrestling just because a person is uneducated seems (for lack of a better term) elitist. 

23 hours ago, MoS said:

Bucks naming their finisher "Tony Khan Driver" has made this gimmick officially jump the shark for me. Absolute nonsense. Like Bischoff saying "Hey, Sid, can't find your scissors?"

Giving Schiavone a $25 Amazon gift card was an absolutely fantastic little touch though. Pitch perfect lampooning of the kind of thing out of touch, billionaire corporations do to attempt to improve staff morale 

Haven't seen Bryan/Akiyama yet, but I'm inclined to agree not even 3 months into the year. 

Hook kinda sucks. Dude desperately needs to work the indies or even go into the NXT system. Yeah sure he can hit his couple of spots and moves fine, but the most basic everything else looks so bad. Not sure how he got memed into popularity, although I guess a solid number of AEW talents got over that way. All of his strikes look bad, his selling is bad, usually his bumps are bad and first year looking unless his opponent can force him into a real bump. I'm not going to say he's David Flair level, but outside of being able to hit his couple of spots and having a look, I'm not sure at this stage I'd put him much higher than David Flair. Obviously he's much more of an athlete than David Flair was, but dude needs a lot of seasoning still before being in multiple tv main events. 

12 hours ago, sek69 said:

I think Bryan getting to cross off his entire bucket list while on his last year victory lap is the most amazing thing I've seen in pro wrestling.

It is. And it's also one of the few things that gets me legit joy out of watching pro-wrestling these days. Danielson's happiness is so obvious and contagious too. This is everything great about pro-wrestling as a craft.

I actually think HOOK's selling is quite good, but I agree that he needs to go somewhere where he can get more ring time and develop as a worker. He seems like an obvious candidate for a New Japan excursion. Maybe they think they can't afford to let him go because of how over he is, but Jade Cargill showed that overness based on aura only lasts so long if you don't significantly progress in the ring.