Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair Out To Destroy Ric Flair

Loss

On the Observer Radio when Dave was talking about the divorce he spoke like this was a known fact. That was the 1st I heard of it. Flair is being short sighted in the big picture. Vince has always wanted a Babe Ruth of wrestling character and made some concessions for Flair to be it. Seeing he wasn't a WWE creation, him having most of his sucess elsewhere, and only working on top in the WWE for a short time.

Known fact? Were not his various wives at Mania and his send off the next night? That went to hell fast.

I do wonder if he's asking out of his contract with the WWE to reduce his income for the divorce. It was a contract signed while they were together. Get out of it, work outside the WWE while the divorce is pending, slide back into the WWE after his finalized.

John

I do wonder if he's asking out of his contract with the WWE to reduce his income for the divorce. It was a contract signed while they were together. Get out of it, work outside the WWE while the divorce is pending, slide back into the WWE after his finalized.

John

I'd agree, but that would mean Flair has a shred of financial smarts, which history has shown repeatedly is not the case.

I'd agree, but that would mean Flair has a shred of financial smarts, which history has shown repeatedly is not the case.

Doesn't need to have financial smarts for that. He just went through a divorce, and she did well. Either Ric or his lawyers probably know how to play the game *if* there isn't a pre-nup.

John

Guest robgomm

At that price, at $20 a pop one would have to sell 2500 copies to cover Flair's fee. How likely is that? ROH have sold in the low thousands for other DVDs I think.

I can't picture Flair sitting in some poorly lit, dingy looking room with a camera inches from his face talking about Crockett. This needs to be as professional an interview as possible. I'd sooner hear Meltzer talking with Flair audio only, to be honest.

Not a lot of new news, just more indepth.

News on Flair courtesy of DOI:

As you can imagine, Ric Flair is the hottest name for independent promoters today. The DOI has found out a ton of information about Flair's suitors.

Flair, who originally was going for $10,000 when he was under WWE contract, is now looking for $15,000-$20,000 per signing. He'll get that money.

In the shoot interview warz, ROH, RFVideo & Highspots are all interested in getting Flair. Flair's agent has made it clear that Flair will do one shoot interview, making the interview exclusive to whoever gets it.

Right now, ROH has the most leverage, because ROH can offer dates and can offer Flair a package deal. DOI sources have told us that ROH has offered Flair 6 dates (6 different cities obviously) and a shoot interview. Both RF Video & Highspots have offered a ridiculous amount of money for Flair.

Realistically, it would make sense for Flair to take ROH's deal if the money is right, as they have more to offer and have the fanbase that would most likely appreciate it the most.

From what I heard, Flair wants $50,000 for a 8-10 hour shoot interview. Obviously, this is an astronomical number with really no chance for profit. The only way I can see a Flair shoot being profitable is if it's broken up into 4 or 5 different DVDs at $25 each. Even then, you have to worry about the leeches uploading it on PWTorrents and other bootlegging sites.

Alot of indy promotions are trying to get Flair for signings/special ref work. Flair's agents have told indy promoters he will not wrestle. Personally, I could see Flair coming back to wrestle, but only for an international company, or perhaps if the money is right, one last match with Sting in TNA.

One prominent indy in the northeast is working on a deal for Flair in the upcoming future and once anything becomes official, we'll have it here.

RF Video says they have a MAJOR shoot for saturday, then follows it up with "look in the news, i'm sure you'll figure it out" but regardless, theres probably i dunno 5 or 6 shoots that could happen at this point that wouldn't live up to hype, or want, or desire, Flair's is one- Hogan's is another. I think Savage would probably fall pretty short too.....Theres just too much stuff in those carears , too many opinions and all the like to be able to get it out of them in a few hours, which is what they're gonna get for that price.

The major shoot interview has turned out to be Kurt Angle. While I love the fact that we're getting an Angle shoot.....I was kinda hoping for Natch.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think a Ric Flair shoot would be very interesting, since there's zero chance he'd dish any dirt on WWE and everything else about his career has been addressed ad nauseum.

At least with Kurt Angle, there's a very good chance he'll challenge someone to a shoot fight in the course of the interview.

Money to his pocket?

But really, besides that, people will lap this up, probably because they think Flair will use this forum to tell everyone what he really thinks of people like HHH, Shawn Michaels, and Vince McMahon. Someone doing that long of an interview with Flair who actually took the question-making seriously and asked good follow up questions would be worth getting, but shoot interviews are never like that. It's always just "Tell us about ..." and then let the interview subject talk uninterrupted for 5-10 minutes.

The questions are rarely informed, or all that specific.

ETA: I'd rather read a Torch Talk.

For fun, let's come up with some reasonable questions Flair could be asked that would be insightful (not so much to smear him). Examples:

You have said in the past that booking is not your strength, that wrestling is. Knowing this, why did you not turn down the opportunity to join the booking committee in 1989? Was it motivation to protect your spot, did you have an interest in becoming a better booker, or was it something else entirely?

How do you respond to criticism that you're a "routine man" and wrestle the same match every night?

For fun, let's come up with some reasonable questions Flair could be asked that would be insightful (not so much to smear him).

I might ask him about different territories/promoters, etc. As champion, Flair probably wrestled for as many companies as any wrestler in history.

The next one is with Lanny freakin' Poffo!

I do like how Wade puts over Lanny as an engaging, entertaining storyteller, after panning him for being so odd and strange when he went on Hannity & Colmes during the Benoit media frenzy.

The next one is with Lanny freakin' Poffo!

I do like how Wade puts over Lanny as an engaging, entertaining storyteller, after panning him for being so odd and strange when he went on Hannity & Colmes during the Benoit media frenzy.

Good point.

The is only one question I want answered by Lanny and thats about his brother.

• 3 weeks later...

So the AP is reporting that Flair was beaten up by his daughter's boyfriend, after his daughter was just arrested for resisting arrest in a convenience store. These types of headlines are going to kill any appeal Flair has doing corporate speaking quickly. These headlines aren't new to Flair, but at least before, he could hide them behind the WWE machine.