Pro Wrestling Only

Kurt Angle and Jeff Jarrett TNA Drama

Loss

And that was four people who REALLY didn't want to work for Kevin Sullivan, particularly Benoit. I don't think anybody has a real problem with Angle, certainly not to the degree Benoit had with Sullivan. Plus, the WCW situation was unique, in that Bill Busch actually granted the Radicalz their releases despite not having any real reason to do so, all of those guys were under legal and binding contracts to WCW. TNA would probably not be so stupid as to let half the undercard just walk out in one fell swoop.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hail Sabin

In Eddie's book he said the reason they were able to jump to the WWF so quickly was because an agent threatened to kill them for jumping ship and they used that threat by saying they would file a lawsuit to get their release.

In Eddie's book he said the reason they were able to jump to the WWF so quickly was because an agent threatened to kill them for jumping ship and they used that threat by saying they would file a lawsuit to get their release.

That's probably a modification on the story that Mike Graham threated to kill Benoit for trying to get him fired.

I've seen a lot of Dutch booking and it's hit or miss. Dutch does a lot of bad comedy booking that's distinctively Dutch and lots of slow face turn stuff that's really effective. Also should be said that Dutch left WWC to book for for IWA Puerto Rico which was less "territorial" booking and more hip TV booking with territorial echoes.

But what were the things that Dutch was involved in booking that Russo took the blame for?

Most of the stuff that got "Fire Russo" chants was really Russo ish booking.

I recall Wade Keller saying that the Abyss/Sting stuff was Mantel's booking. This was around the time the VKM stuff was being done, and Keller said the VKM stuff was indeed Russo's doing.

Guest Kenta Batista

And that was four people who REALLY didn't want to work for Kevin Sullivan, particularly Benoit. I don't think anybody has a real problem with Angle, certainly not to the degree Benoit had with Sullivan. Plus, the WCW situation was unique, in that Bill Busch actually granted the Radicalz their releases despite not having any real reason to do so, all of those guys were under legal and binding contracts to WCW. TNA would probably not be so stupid as to let half the undercard just walk out in one fell swoop.

I wouldn't give TNA that much credit. TNA pulled a WCW move, I believe in 2007, when they held a meeting and pretty much told the talent: " TNA. Love it or leave it" and had everyone's contract sitting on the table(I believe Killings and Lowki took them up on that offer). I agree the business is different and I don't think that many guys in TNA are marks for themselves and realize the state of the business and their responsibility as men to provide for their families. The only one who can 'walk out' (and it would be VERY interesting to see how TNA handles this situation) is Styles. If Styles said 'Fuck it! I'm done" and it was BECAUSE of Jarrett leaving, I would bet my car Jarrett will be back so quick, Russo won't even have time to clean the cream off his pants.

Honestly at this point, I don't think anyone in TNA would give a shit if Styles left. Spike calls the shots more or less and they only seem interested in ex WCW guys. Besides, it's not like AJ would have that much success in WWE that it would be a "WCW gives away Austin and Foley" kind of deal.

Guest secondcoming

I can't imagine TNA without Styles.

really?

I don't think it would really make that much of a difference at all...

in fact, I am starting to get a bit tired of him.

He's a decent wrestler, with a knack for highspots...he sucks on the mic...he CANNOT work heel. Doesn't really impress me. For God's sake, they had Jeff Hardy and it didn't make a difference....there is plenty of high end talent in TNA. Any wrestler entering or leaving is not going to make a difference...the booking needs to change. If new back office means "goodbye AJ"...I am all for it.

I can't imagine TNA without Styles.

really?

I don't think it would really make that much of a difference at all...

in fact, I am starting to get a bit tired of him.

He's a decent wrestler, with a knack for highspots...he sucks on the mic...he CANNOT work heel. Doesn't really impress me. For God's sake, they had Jeff Hardy and it didn't make a difference....there is plenty of high end talent in TNA. Any wrestler entering or leaving is not going to make a difference...the booking needs to change. If new back office means "goodbye AJ"...I am all for it.

Actually I'm for it to, because if they get rid of Styles, Jarrett leaves and West is tossed out as some rumors have indicated there will be nothing worth watching on the show which means I can abandon it all together.

The little bit of TNA that I've seen this year suggests that they're marginally more watchable now than they've been since Russo came back. From Russo's return through the end of 2008, saw a grand total of one match (Harris/Storm Texas Death) that I really gave a shit about. This year I've seen two, which, apropos to this discussion, had Jarrett (vs. Angle) and AJ (vs. Booker). So it has kinda gone from being 2000 WCW where nobody gives a shit and nothing is worth watching to being post-peak AAA where most of it is shit but there are a few gems scattered about if you care to look for them. I'm not saying that having Jarrett in power hasn't been disastrous for TNA, but getting rid of him and AJ when they're two of a small handful of guys who will actually give a shit in the ring every now and then isn't going to make it a better show. And while TNA booking needs to change, changes don't always end up being for the better. I really, really can't imagine a shift in power from Jarrett to Angle being a change for the better.

And I can't even begin to imagine why they would even consider tossing out West. Even if you don't like his announcing style, West is TNA's #1 fan. West is a guy who sat in on booking meetings where they read letters from people complaining about their shows, and said that they must have been written by paid WWE shills, because there was no way anyone could possibly find fault with TNA. It's wrestling. Bookers and promoters love having their egos stroked like that. Why would they get rid of him? Has West suddenly become disillusioned with TNA? What gives?

For God's sake, they had Jeff Hardy and it didn't make a difference

Did you see TNA-era Jeff Hardy? You don't like AJ, but TNA-era Jeff Hardy was a guy who should have been able to make a difference?

Guest Kenta Batista

Hardy had his moments during his TNA run, but TNA hadn't really expanded to PPVs outside of Orlando at that point and they were working with a REALLY tight budget. Factor in the fact that Hardy was COMPLETELY unreliable and still using drugs...well...his run in TNA was what it was. TNA needs to put more money into marketing and less into TEH NAMEZ~! Dixie and Panda are rich and they should put up that 1 million for a 30 second Superball ad in 2010.

I'm not saying AJ isn't a good wrestler, but I don't see how he's an irreplaceable part of TNA. Him leaving shouldn't be the thing to hold off pulling the trigger on any changes that need to be made.

I suppose that's true. Then again, it's TNA. I'm not sure I can think of anyone who feels so vitally important to the company that they can't be replaced. Just seems like AJ probably isn't one of the first guys you would point to for folks who should be on the chopping block, not that that's what you're saying.

Last two non-WWE shows I watched in full were Destination X and the CZW 10th anniversary show. Both were pretty bad shows partly salvaged by two good matches - undercard scrappy smaller guy vs. larger tough guy match and a main event title match. Sting vs. Kurt Angle was shockingly fun outside of the goofy finishing sequence. Still got smoked by Eddie Kingston vs. Drake Younger, as neither Sting nor Angle really looked as capable as Younger, and Younger was pretty clearly the lesser guy in his match. Gap between Styles vs. Booker and Pinkie Sanchez vs. Drew Blood was smaller, but the CZW match still gets the duke pretty easily. Still, not sure you could replace AJ with Pinkie and have it work as well. He is replaceable, but I get the sense it would be easier to replace Sting or Angle with The King of Diamonds than to replace AJ, for whatever that's worth.

You see, this would never happen in WWE. Rhaka wouldn't dare call the cops on Angle if they were working for Vince because she'd get fired for making a top Entertainer look bad, just like when B.B. got axed for dating the kinda-but-not-really married Bob Holly. Dixie needs to keep those bitches in line. IT'S A MAN'S WORLD

Let's be fair: it never would've happened in the WWE because McMahon would be reluctant to put his title back on someone who got popped for DUI in a very public manner. The only time I can think of a similar situation happening in the WWE was with Rob Van Dam's arrest; at the very next show, he jobbed both belts and never got them back again. It's not the doing psycho shit that is the problem (hello Orton), it's getting caught doing psycho shit in a manner which makes the evening news.

Guest Kenta Batista

I don't understand what the big deal is. If this was Glory Wrestling then I can understand why Angle should be stripped, but its not. This is the SAME SHOW that has had tons of questionable and insane things occur on its programming for the last seven years. It amazes me how some people talk as though a sport and sports entertainment is something that is deeply religious and should be 'respected' once someone clocks out for the evening. What does 'morals' have to do with whether a match was good or not or if a wrestler is entertaining? Angle is one of the best and one of the most over guys in the company and his personal life should not effect the business. If he is fucking up at work and fucking around on company time...then yeah sure..do whatever. But if the guy wants to circle a parking lot a few times on his day off, I say let him~!

I'm sure that Panda Energy, Spike TV, and all their advertising sponsors and corporate associates will all be totally understanding about TNA's biggest star being publicly outed as a possibly dangerous nutcase who abuses both drugs and women. After all, it's not like this is real, it's just a crazy wrestler named Kurt Angle who plays a crazy wrestler named Kurt Angle on television. Add in the fact that Kurt could conceivably claim in court that his actions were influenced by the mental trauma of his wife cheating on him and eventually leaving him for Jeff Jarrett, company founder and creative director and minority stockholder... you can't see how this could effect their business?