Pro Wrestling Only

Kurt Angle and Jeff Jarrett TNA Drama

Loss

Guest Kenta Batista

Sure, having your company represented by a complete nutcase who gets arrested for stalking and drug posession is not a problem at all.

The guy lives his gimmick. Can he really be faulted for that? Jim Cornette recently wrote how people need to kayfabe out of the ring again. Angle is doing it to a tee, and people are upset? Kurt Angle 10 years from now will be remembered as not only one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, but the guy who brought kayfabe into the 21st century.

This really doesn't effect business at all as Angle has been to an elementary school or in a milk ad in ages. Ratings will not go down because of this. Stacker 2 will not pull out because of this. Attendance will not drop and neither will buyrates because of this event. This is one of those things that just hurt people's egos and will not hurt business at all. The fans will still pop and everything else which is why I see this as a complete non sequitur.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The great thing about wrestling is that it's probably the only profession in the world where no one would have stopped to think that maybe this guy is batshit insane, oh I don't know, maybe when he decided to hide a broken neck before wrestling in the Olympics. Or maybe when he had drug issues so bad even by pro wrestling standards WWE didn't want to have him OD on their watch. Or when he continues to wrestle with arms so atrophied from nerve damage that he looks like Kendall Windham circa 1988, which you'd have to think puts his opponents at risk of getting Misawa'd if he ever loses sensation in the middle of a move.

But since it's wrestling, hey why not make the guy your world champion and for all intents the face of the company?

Police report.

On 8-15-09 at 7:50am, I was dispatched to the area of Giant Eagle and Get Go for a report of a PFA violation that was taking place in the lot.

As I was en route to the scene from Robinson Towne Center, dispatch advised me that the male offender (later ID'd as Kurt Angle) was in a sliver Cadillac now headed toward the Robinson Mall on Park Manor and was wearing a green colored t-shirt.

I approached the traffic signal at the intersection of Park Manor and Robinson Center Drive.

As I was at the light, I observed a silver Cadillac STS travelling down Park Manor and making the left hand turn at Robinson Center Drive and continuing onto Park Manor.

As the vehicle passed me, I could clearly see the driver had on a green t-shirt.

I turned around my marked police unit and made a traffic stop on the vehicle as it pulled into the Starbucks lot in Robinson Towne Center.

I was advised by dispatch that the driver should be Kurt Angle and that he was under DUI suspension.

I approached the driver who provided me with his (license) that did ID him as Kurt Angle.

At this time, I was assisted on scene by (two other officers).

I ran Angle's license which did come back as being under DUI suspension.

I advised Angle of the nature of the call and if he violated a PFA that was put out on him.

Angle stated his ex-girlfriend, (name removed), and he had an altercation at his residence in Moon township last evening.

Angle then stated she used his vehicle and went downtown to obtain an emergency PFA on him.

He then stated he was removed from the residence by Moon Township Police.

I advised Angle that his girlfriend had called police and stated he was stalking her at the Giant Eagle lot.

Angle denied this and stated he was looking for a hotel to stay in and never saw her.

Angle blurted out that he had his girlfriend's cell phone even though I had not asked about it at the time.

Dispatch advised that (the victim) was at our station filing a formal written complaint.

Since Angle was under DUI suspension, a tow truck was called for his vehicle.

I checked the area where Angle was sitting incident to his arrest.

There was a medium sized bag that contained Angle's ID as well as numerous credit cards.

This was taken with Angle to avoid anything happening to his credit cards.

In the front seat there was a large zippered black bag.

Inside one of the compartments was a capped syringe and two vials of "Hygetropin" which also contained the label "recumbant Human Growth Hormone Somatropin for injection."

Angle was asked about this item and he stated that he had a legal prescription for it and would be able to provide a copy of it.

Angle was placed into custody for the PFA violation and the drug charges and taken to the Robinson Twp. Police Station without incident by (the officer).

The vehicle was removed from the scene. (An officer) did locate a maroon colored blackberry phone from the car which (the victim) did later ID as hers. It was turned over to her at the station.

At the Robinson Police Station, I spoke with (the victim).

(She) stated she was at the Starbucks Store at the Robinson Towne Center outside at a table using the internet because she was scared to use the computer at her residence as she was in fear of Angle.

At this time, she saw Angle circle the parking lot three times; staring at her while she was outside.

(She) stated she then hurriedly left the area and saw Angle in the silver Cadillac.

She drove to Crucible Research by Giant Eagle and observed Angle in the Giant Eagle parking lot "circling" in his vehicle.

She stated to me that she could see Angle accessing her cell phone that she left in the car and feared he was deleting her text messages and pictures she had of past abuse against Angle.

(She) stated she then called 911 to report the incident. Angle was processed without incident and lodged into a holding cell to await arraignment.

The two vials of "HGH" and the used capped syringe will be logged into evidence.

(The victim) was provided a victim's rights booklet which she signed for. (She) stated she was going to stay (at a different location).

I received a faxed copy of the emergency PFA from Moon Township Police as well as verification that Angle was served the PFA by Moon Police this date at approximately 6:19am.

I made a copy of the emergency PFA she obtained that will be posted in the active PFA section of the police department. I also did file an ICC complaint on Angle.

Guest Kenta Batista

Just read the police report and picturing Angle circling the parking lot in a silver Cadillac is pure comedy.

Should Glen Jacobs be lighting people on fire?

Okay, that'd be awesome, but the question still remains

Lighting people on fire and driving around a parking lot deleting photos from a cell phone are TWO entirely different things.

TNA are stupid and kept the title on Angle but….

Add in the fact that Kurt could conceivably claim in court that his actions were influenced by the mental trauma of his wife cheating on him and eventually leaving him for Jeff Jarrett, company founder and creative director and minority stockholder... you can't see how this could effect their business?

It’s only been a little over two years since Benoit slaughtered his family. No one in America will see a guy taking in and protecting the wife and children of a crazy wrestler as anything less than an act of selfless heroism.

Just read the police report and picturing Angle circling the parking lot in a silver Cadillac is pure comedy.

Should Glen Jacobs be lighting people on fire?

Okay, that'd be awesome, but the question still remains

Lighting people on fire and driving around a parking lot deleting photos from a cell phone are TWO entirely different things.

Exactly, one is a pro wrestling gimmick and the other is a guy who's legit physically and mentally breaking down. It's easy to laugh at Kurt and by extension TNA and their wacky antics, but the more you watch Impact the more you wonder if they're the 2009 version of WCCW.

I mean, is anybody really surprised that TNA kept the title on Angle? This is a company that has a reputation for doing the absolute dumbest things month after month. The only thing keeping the company afloat is Spike and the overseas TV money, which Meltzer has said they've gotten through having Angle to sell to overseas markets, so of course they're going to hitch their wagon to Angle until he dies. I'm more surprised that it took two years for a Russo-booked wrestling promotion to put their woman's title on a man. That's remarkable restraint for Russo.

It makes sense to keep the belt on Angle, but only if you use Russo Logic, which basically goes like "okay, deduct the absolute least logical and most idiotic direction you could go here, and jam the pedal to the metal!". But overseas money or not, you'd think that this list of charges would be enough to at least temporarily take the belt off him. It's not like Angle gets less television time when he doesn't have a belt, and it gives the company more of a cover-my-ass by claiming "well he's not our top star, he's just one guy, lots of guys have been champions donchyaknow".

Also, does anyone here think they'll ever actually put the belt on Morgan? He seems like the latest in a long line of guys: relatively young midcarders who get a big push to the main event, but then lose the big match and end up sinking back down to obscurity. This company seems to do that sort of thing a whole lot.

It’s only been a little over two years since Benoit slaughtered his family. No one in America will see a guy taking in and protecting the wife and children of a crazy wrestler as anything less than an act of selfless heroism.

Perhaps, but I could easily see Angle or an attorney spinning it the other way, "this guy's wife left him for his boss, and eventually they stole his kids, and that drove him crazy". Not saying it's a great defense, but is it much worse than "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit"? Court decisions can be such terribly random things, as can the court of public perception.

It would be hard for anyone to spin this latest bout as just a side effect of the marriage breaking up/Karen shacking up with JJ when Kurt has a history of crazy. It would be way easier for the prosecution to point out how you have a guy who's mental state is questionable at best + drug problems and then throw a divorce and the ex taking the kids and shacking up with his co worker.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but it would be nice if anyone cared for a second about the well being of Kurt Angle (not to mention his kids) instead of how his personal problems might mess up a PPV. For all the hand-wringing that occurs online when there's Yet Another Tragic Death, you get the feeling we're seeing another one happening in slow motion, yet even on WO.com the only concern was if he was going to be able to make it to the show on time.

At this point we can only wish that the worst doesn't happen to Angle, or to someone else because of Angle. The kids and Karen are much better off with Jeffrey than with this raving lunatic. It's mind-boggling that he hasn't been suspended at least after this shit. But no, let's keep the belt on this guy. Angle is unhealthy and fucked up in the head.

Honestly, if TNA did take the title off Angle and sent him packing, somebody else somewhere will be more than happy to bring him on board. Maybe Vince McMahon and WWE wouldn't do it at this time, but once this latest episode dies down, Vince would most definitely sign him up. Angle is so revered in the wrestling world and so many people believe he's instant money and attention just based on his ring work alone that, for the most part, he'll have a job wherever he wants unless he commits a foul deed that treads closer to Benoit territory.

I hate saying that, too, but it's the truth. Angle is just one of those wrestlers whose reputation for his work and stardom is so big, it will take a lot for the wrestling world to truly consider him to be a guy to distance themselves from.

Guest Kenta Batista

Kurt's side of the story he told Bubba the Love Sponge:

Kurt wanted Rhaka Khan wanted out of his house, but she changed her mailing address to his house, which gave her official residency there. Kurt talked to the cops a few weeks ago, they told him he would have to get a order of protection. He didn't want to do it and from there Khan tried to blackmail him saying she would file one against Kurt, if Kurt didn't give her $50,000 or an engagement ring, Angle said no. Well, she filed the order of protection against him this past week. Kurt said he was at Starbucks first. From there Khan called the cops and this is where we are today.

Court hearing is tomorrow.

Kurt's gonna be on the show on Wednesday, giving his perfect interview about it.

Honestly, if TNA did take the title off Angle and sent him packing, somebody else somewhere will be more than happy to bring him on board. Maybe Vince McMahon and WWE wouldn't do it at this time, but once this latest episode dies down, Vince would most definitely sign him up. Angle is so revered in the wrestling world and so many people believe he's instant money and attention just based on his ring work alone that, for the most part, he'll have a job wherever he wants unless he commits a foul deed that treads closer to Benoit territory.

I hate saying that, too, but it's the truth. Angle is just one of those wrestlers whose reputation for his work and stardom is so big, it will take a lot for the wrestling world to truly consider him to be a guy to distance themselves from.

WWE already fired him once for acting crazy. Why would they bring him back when he's done nothing but act crazier in the years since they released him?

Guest Kenta Batista

You are giving Vince too much credit. Vince will do ANYTHING to run out competition. Even if that means Angle will be put on retainer and only wrestle 6 matches a year and be put in the role of someone's manager and only having to work PPV and TV. Don't put it past Vince.

WWE already fired him once for acting crazy. Why would they bring him back when he's done nothing but act crazier in the years since they released him?

Probably for the same reason WWE rehired Jeff Hardy merely 6 months after he gave TNA management no choice but to fire him after no showing a TNA booking one time too many.

Guest Kenta Batista

Jim Ross weighs in via his blog:

What has occurred lately for Angle obviously isn't working for a legitimately decent human being. It seems as if problems exist and my theory has always been that if one can't, after doing all that's humanly possible, solve a problem then the only alternative is to eliminate the problem.

There are times in everyone's life where they need to step away from what they feel that they have immersed themselves and take the time to reassess. Trust me on which I speak as, from the best that I can tell, we only pass this way once.

Probably for the same reason WWE rehired Jeff Hardy merely 6 months after he gave TNA management no choice but to fire him after no showing a TNA booking one time too many.

It's a different situation today. The Hardy signing was before Chris Benoit killed his family and shined a light on how scummy wrestling can be. The AP picked up the story about Angle stalking Rhaka Khan and being caught with HGH, so WWE bringing him in would mean bad publicity that signing Jeff Hardy three years ago didn't.

"Get away from wrestling, and stop taking drugs and abusing women and being crazy, before you end up in prison or dead" would probably be the best guess. Obviously it's wrapped up in some insider references which are coded so that only the intended audience would know the exact meaning.

Meltz:

- TNA staff was told backstage at the PPV last night to not talk about the Kurt Angle situation anywhere, including their Twitter pages and blogs.

I understand the logic behind this, as they don't want anyone either bashing their own company or pulling a Kennedy and making false claims that come back to bite them in the ass. But it's another example of TNA's entire attitude here seeming to be "just ignore it and it'll go away". Angle keeps the belt, no mention is made on the PPV about the arrest, TNA releases no public statements of any kind about the situation, and now there's a gag order on the rest of the employees. I know there could be any number of motivations for this sort of head-in-the-sand behaviour, I just wonder which one it is. Are they too scared about the possible downside to say anything? Is it a case of "aw, I know Kurt, he's a really good guy and didn't do that bullshit"? Or is it just the usual assumption that nothing that happens within the pro wrestling bubble will affect them in a real-world manner?