Pro Wrestling Only

Flair to wrestle for Hulkamania promotion

Boondocks Kernoodle

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan as an on-screen character obviously isn't going to mean much at this point. But I am intrigued by Meltzer saying bigger things are supposedly coming and by the presence of Bischoff. I don't think Eric would join TNA if things were going to continue as they have for the last several years. He seems like he has enough stuff to do without needing to hitch his name to a second-rate company that he has bashed repeatedly. So I'm interested in what else there might be to this and what it could means in terms of licensing and TV deals overseas.

Hogan isn't going to be the answer... really, nobody in TNA, regardless of who is booking or running the show, seems to have a long-term vision of what they want. It's still hard for me to figure out exactly what audience they want to attract or how they are supposed to be presented as an alternative to WWE.

The only thing that has struck me as unique is how TNA promotes its women's division. But the X division has lost its luster and now comes off to me as just another title belt to pursue, the Main Event Mafia hasn't really done much to help elevate or create new talent, and while they seem to want to build around A.J. Styles, they aren't doing a good job of building his supporting cast, as it were.

Case in point: They bring in Bobby Lashley and have a chance to make him something special (regardless of what one thinks about him talent wise), but the last Impact I caught, he was just another wrestler on the roster. Supposedly they are making a big deal of him being the MMA guy invading TNA, but he's not being booked as that, he's booked as another face in the crowd.

As far as what their next big announcement is, it's probably Flair coming on board, which would be yet another wrong move. Only things I can truly see as "something bigger than Hogan" is Rock returning to wrestling by signing with TNA, or maybe Goldberg coming on board, but not the long-past-his-prime Ric Flair.

The only thing that has struck me as unique is how TNA promotes its women's division. But the X division has lost its luster and now comes off to me as just another title belt to pursue, the Main Event Mafia hasn't really done much to help elevate or create new talent, and while they seem to want to build around A.J. Styles, they aren't doing a good job of building his supporting cast, as it were.

TNA even fucked up it's women's division by making a man the champion in Cody Deaner and then putting the belt on another person that I'm not sure what she is. Then they bring in a former WWE diva and have her "shoot" with Randy Corture's sloppy seconds that no one even knows except maybe Dave Meltzer. After that they make a Knockouts tag title and the team that it's tailor made for in the Beautiful People is broken up because Angelina was fired for Visa problems.

Oh and I hope to god that the big announcement is them going against Raw on Monday nights. That would make me laugh so hard. It will truly be WCW 2000 in 2009. Make it happen, Dixie.

Shane McMahon running TNA would be the only thing I can think of that would be bigger than signing Hogan and Bischoff (aside from Bob Morris' scenario where Rock returns to wrestling and decides to go to TNA). And the chances of Shane leaving WWE for TNA to compete against his own family are chances I would call less than zero.

That said, Hogan and Bischoff coming in, along with upcoming key things happening like Jim Ross's WWE contract expiring in a few months, should be interesting.

Guest Iron Chad

Jim Ross's WWE contract expiring in a few months, should be interesting.

Assuming Jim Ross's health allows him announce. WWE changing up announce teams leads me to believe no one knows when or even if Jim can return to the booth

Oh and I hope to god that the big announcement is them going against Raw on Monday nights. That would make me laugh so hard. It will truly be WCW 2000 in 2009. Make it happen, Dixie.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't the big announcement. The long term goal of the company has always been to recreate the Monday Night Wars. I'm not sure Hogan would come on board if TNA wasn't positioned to be directly competitive with WWE. Why bring in so many highly paid expensive guys simultaneously if Impact is staying on a Thursday night where they get decent ratings already?

I'd be surprised if this wasn't the big announcement. The long term goal of the company has always been to recreate the Monday Night Wars. I'm not sure Hogan would come on board if TNA wasn't positioned to be directly competitive with WWE. Why bring in so many highly paid expensive guys simultaneously if Impact is staying on a Thursday night where they get decent ratings already?

Going to Monday nights isn't going to work given that the current WWE fanbase is only interested in Hogan and Flair as "once in a while treats" as opposed to regular members of the roster. They _might_ be interested in A.J. Styles and Kurt Angle, but they aren't going to flock to TNA because all the legends are going there.

As Loss said, Shane McMahon heading to TNA would cause heads to turn, but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

That being said, stranger things have happened... but I don't see a scenario happening in which TNA can truly make the Monday Night Wars work again.

Jim Ross's WWE contract expiring in a few months, should be interesting.

Assuming Jim Ross's health allows him announce. WWE changing up announce teams leads me to believe no one knows when or even if Jim can return to the booth

Agreed. I also think that for whatever shit he eats from the McMahons, Ross is realistic about the WWE paychecks clearing. One could have seen him jumping with Stone Cold somewhere years ago when a big pot of gold might have been dropped infront of him. But now, riding the ups and downs of the WWE is pretty safe money for Jim.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Highspots.com was unable to auction off the old NWA title belt due to Flair putting the belt up as collateral from a prior loan from Combraco, Inc. Combraco, Inc., which is a company run by a good friend of Flair's, would lose what would be the collateral to the belt if/when Flair paid the money back. In theory, at that point the belt would go to Highspots.com as the collateral for their loan, although Flair claims he’s working autograph sessions above and beyond for Highspots.com and so there is a dispute on the amount owed. Highspots.com is going with the mentality that if Flair pays back the Combraco, Inc. loan, then they would get rights to the belt as collateral for their loan, and then if Flair doesn’t pay them, they would go back to the auctioning off of the belt. Flair put essentially everything in wrestling he had of value as collateral for the Combraco, Inc. loan, said to be $300,000, partially to get legal control of all his valuable wrestling stuff in the hands of one of his friends to make it impossible for ex-wife Tiffany to sell anything after she had sold one of his robes, which he found out when he went to an autograph session and a guy came to it wearing the robe he’d bought from Tiffany.

And still can't get out of the business past 60.

The Rock and Steve Austin both left the business, and despite Austin's "issues" with his wives, I don't think he's lost all his revenues yet or in on his way to do so. Rocky divorced too I believe, but he won't be broke because of it, and still has many years ahead of him in Hollywood.

Sounds like the 90/early 00's generation won.

And like I said, how ironic is that that today, you'd rather be Troy Martin than Richard Fleir ?

Maybe Flair's next stop will be to do Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, or the sex addict show on now that I can't remember the name of.

Ric Flair would never admit that he's an alcoholic and/or a sex addict or do anything close to it.

Yeah, I'd imagine Flair would get all the other alcoholics drunk, if he ever appeared on Celebrity Rehab. :)