Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almost as puzzling as me being thanked in the big thanks section this week, though I haven't sent him anything in weeks, and the last thing I sent him wasn't really a result.

Edit: Not complaining, as it's a nice gesture, I just have no clue what I'm being thanked for.

Probably impressed with your views on the forum

Almost as puzzling as me being thanked in the big thanks section this week, though I haven't sent him anything in weeks, and the last thing I sent him wasn't really a result.

Edit: Not complaining, as it's a nice gesture, I just have no clue what I'm being thanked for.

Probably impressed with your views on the forum

To Dylan Hales for being the best poster on a board I can't believe my name is associated with. Your views brighten my day among the trolls and millions of photoshops of myself.

Dave.

LOL

I sent feedback to Dave for UFC 168. I signed it with my 1st name. When the feedback is up on the website my 1st and last name is on their. I double checked and the email I sent only had my 1st name. I just found it odd. It's not a big deal or anything.

When you send an email, your full name may show up in the recipients inbox if you've configured your email address in that way and provided it with your full name. That's the most likely scenario.

Dave's not writing for Yahoo anymore, right? http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-168--rond...915415-mma.html

The headline on the front page is "UFC 168: Ronda Rousey submits Miesha Tate in third, turns heel with handshake snub". She turned heel. Can't just be a jerk anymore, you have to be a heel.

That has always been my biggest gripe/bitch about Meltzer. I guess when you have been in the business so long you think everything is a work and face/heel crap. I believe he said that Lebron James turned heel when he did "The Decision" a couple years ago.

The idea that the last 3 months of Ronda Rousey being a complete bitch and hated was part of some "storyline" or "building a character" is just laughable. Sometimes being a jerk means you are a jerk not pretending to be one like a "heel"

Dave's not writing for Yahoo anymore, right? http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-168--rond...915415-mma.html

The headline on the front page is "UFC 168: Ronda Rousey submits Miesha Tate in third, turns heel with handshake snub". She turned heel. Can't just be a jerk anymore, you have to be a heel.

That has always been my biggest gripe/bitch about Meltzer. I guess when you have been in the business so long you think everything is a work and face/heel crap. I believe he said that Lebron James turned heel when he did "The Decision" a couple years ago.

The idea that the last 3 months of Ronda Rousey being a complete bitch and hated was part of some "storyline" or "building a character" is just laughable. Sometimes being a jerk means you are a jerk not pretending to be one like a "heel"

She understands how she needs to stay relevant and make money, a lot of what she's done has been pre-mediated. Don't get me wrong, she might be bitch too, but she knows by playing a role she will be remembered more as well as knowing that being the "heel" champ and have challengers "chase" her for the title could make her more money than just being a "white meat babyface".

This seems to be working well. More chatter about Rousey than Weidman after the show.

She understands how she needs to stay relevant and make money, a lot of what she's done has been pre-mediated. Don't get me wrong, she might be bitch too, but she knows by playing a role she will be remembered more as well as knowing that being the "heel" champ and have challengers "chase" her for the title could make her more money than just being a "white meat babyface".

This seems to be working well. More chatter about Rousey than Weidman after the show.

Yes but the main premise of being a "heel" is that you are pretending to be an asshole or arrogant or evil or whatever. Does anyone really believe that Rousey is pretending to be something she isn't. When she said "real mean vs fake nice", she wasn't bullshitting about either her or Meisha

Just in case, I want to point out Dave didn't actually write that article. It just seems similar to his old "MMA is pro wrestling" talking point.

While I'm aware they play up certain things and I think this is just a case of that with no pro wrestling chicanery, I really hope they stay away from people becoming actual faces and heels. You're just one step away from doing fixed fights after that.

Yes but the main premise of being a "heel" is that you are pretending to be an asshole or arrogant or evil or whatever. Does anyone really believe that Rousey is pretending to be something she isn't. When she said "real mean vs fake nice", she wasn't bullshitting about either her or Meisha

She's just extenuating her own personality. Nothing wrong with that.

Just in case, I want to point out Dave didn't actually write that article. It just seems similar to his old "MMA is pro wrestling" talking point.

While I'm aware they play up certain things and I think this is just a case of that with no pro wrestling chicanery, I really hope they stay away from people becoming actual faces and heels. You're just one step away from doing fixed fights after that.

This isn't a new thing you know.

I'm talking about UFC in it's current incarnation specifically. I'm aware of worked shoots and whatnot.

Chael Sonnen knew his role completely, played up to it vs. Anderson Silva. And due to this UFC did some great PPV numbers.

He wasn't even the #1 contender

Oh, that. Yeah, I mentioned it in my first post. I know they play up certain characteristics, I'm referring more to the (far off, admittedly) possibility having Anderson Silva cut a 10 minute promo before his fight about how all the inner city sweathogs need to get ready to look at a real man.

I'm talking about UFC in it's current incarnation specifically. I'm aware of worked shoots and whatnot.

Chael Sonnen knew his role completely, played up to it vs. Anderson Silva. And due to this UFC did some great PPV numbers.

Oh, that. Yeah, I mentioned it in my first post. I know they play up certain characteristics, I'm referring more to the (far off, admittedly) possibility having Anderson Silva cut a 10 minute promo before his fight about how all the inner city sweathogs need to get ready to look at a real man.

I can't seem to find that post? Want to link me to it if possible. It's been a long day so far!

I just can't see them going from where they are currently to a scenario you mentioned above at all. Ever.

GSP was an awesome drawing Heel Champion.

GSP was an awesome drawing Heel Champion.

Thanks for that.

I don't think she needs to be a "heel" to draw. Nor do I think she's as phoney as Chael was, who at this point it total bullshit in playing a character in promoting his matches. Rhonda is just an asshole when it comes to fighting, and a fair number of things in life. She's not playing.

There's no doubt the UFC is happy to pimp up her being an asshole. They'd be happy to pimp up a nice personality from her if it was charismatic.

Who should've gotten the title shots Sonnen got ahead of him? He got the first one after beating Okami and Marquardt (well, and Dan Miller), then got the second one after beating Stann and Bisping. The only other guy "in line" in 2010 was Vitor, but Sonnen had really done more to earn it (Vitor beat Rich Franklin at a 195 catch weight in his UFC return). Unless you're arguing Bisping was robbed on the decision, who the hell should have gotten the 2012 shot? Hector Lombard in his debut? Vitor instead of doing TUF Brazil? Alan Belcher for how he beat Palhares?