Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only
Loss

Dave Meltzer stuff

Recommended Posts

At this point I've completely tuned out any WWE wrestler contradicting a Dave report on anything. Fair or not, they've played that card too many times when it was plainly obvious that Dave had it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be noted that Andrade deleted his tweet because one of the pics include was him grabbing a handful of Charlotte's ass. 

I would also suspect Charlotte isn't a regular listener to Wrestling Observer shows, and the tweet she replied to was from BluRayWrestling which is a known obsessive Dave troll who has repeatedly posted audio clips of shows out of context. 

Her advice goes both ways, she could have easily called Dave and been all "wtf man?" and let him explain what the context was. Instead,  she amplifies a bad faith troll on Twitter which only verifies him to the blind WWE stans .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave does have a history of phrasing things inelegantly, especially on radio shows. So I don't necessarily begrudge wrestlers sometimes taking things the wrong way, although all the clowns who tweet out-of-context audio clips for the purpose of winding people up can suck it. The real problem is when a bunch of other WWE wrestlers inevitably join in the pile-on. They surely realize that they work for a morally bankrupt company run by ghouls who screw them over in innumerable ways both major and minor, but it's a lot easier to shoot the messenger than to stand up for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MoS said:

He should not have talked about whether Charlotte herself felt pressured into getting cosmetic surgery without checking with her first. However, yeah, all the pathetic WWE stans and the usual Meltz haters are as usual amplifying this in the most bad faith possible, cuz their entire online existence revolves around trying to show up Dave. It's pathetic, and the fact that Dave mostly ignores them must fill them with fury 

Pretty much exactly how I see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

 The real problem is when a bunch of other WWE wrestlers inevitably join in the pile-on. They surely realize that they work for a morally bankrupt company run by ghouls who screw them over in innumerable ways both major and minor, but it's a lot easier to shoot the messenger than to stand up for themselves.

This is very cynical, but I feel WWE wrestlers also do this to get into the good books of management. Charlotte has every right to tell Dave to go fuck himself, but I cannot help but feel that one reason she is doing it is cuz she might have heat cuz of the Andrade situation (which is obviously ridiculous in of itself but this is WWE we are talking about) and what better way to become the golden child again than trashing Dave? Rollins showed us that is a great way to keep getting pushed by WWE 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real cynicism is how many of these wrestlers actually have personal relationships with Meltzer and will use him to leak out shit they want leaked out but then make a public show against him when they feel it works for whatever narrative at the time. 

 

Also, jeez how does anyone listen to the radio show? Dave's bumbling, mumbling, stumbling, and ums and uhs, and inability to finish a thought before jumping to 7 other things will turn your brain to mush in just a few minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strobogo said:

Also, jeez how does anyone listen to the radio show? Dave's bumbling, mumbling, stumbling, and ums and uhs, and inability to finish a thought before jumping to 7 other things will turn your brain to mush in just a few minutes.

I love love LOVE the random Dave in-depth dive into wrestling history, but this is so accurate. He really doesn't need to be a first-break reporter anymore. Hell, I don't even care when he talks MMA, even though it is clear that he has zero technical knowledge of MMA and often looks like an idiot. But when I listen to Dave on WOR, what I really want is random in-depth stories on wrestling history like Dave does sometimes. Of course Charlotte blew that whole thing into tremendously exaggerated babyface support, but anyone following her arc will know that Dave did not really make a huge mistake, although he should have absolutely, definitely checked with Charlotte before making any generic statements in public about any woman wrestler. So again, I really think that wrestlers focus on Dave radio shows  when they just want management to like them again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoS said:

So again, I really think that wrestlers focus on Dave radio shows  when they just want management to like them again 

I suppose it's probably not a coincidence this happened right when there were rumors Charlotte might get some residual heat over whatever Andrade was able to do to get a full release with no 90 day clause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sek69 said:

I suppose it's probably not a coincidence this happened right when there were rumors Charlotte might get some residual heat over whatever Andrade was able to do to get a full release with no 90 day clause.

This I like. It wouldn't be pro wrestling if a bunch of people weren't trying to work each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 11:59 PM, sek69 said:

Her advice goes both ways, she could have easily called Dave and been all "wtf man?" and let him explain what the context was. Instead,  she amplifies a bad faith troll on Twitter which only verifies him to the blind WWE stans .

I'm no Charlotte or WWE stan, but Dave is the reporter and should be the one making those phone calls - Charlotte is under no obligation to do so, their personal relatioship aside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I'm no Charlotte or WWE stan, but Dave is the reporter and should be the one making those phone calls - Charlotte is under no obligation to do so, their personal relatioship aside.

Yeah, I'm always puzzled by people letting this kind of shit fly with Dave. He's a reporter and journalist with 40 years of experience and sometimes he doesn't do the most basic shit any journalist has to do. Not to mention he's a communicator that has an increasingly hard time communicating his thoughts.

I get that WOR is an uncomfortable grey area as Dave can just be shooting the shit with Bryan but he's constantly giving material for people to pile up on him (and yes, there's a lot of times when that's uncalled for).

On 4/25/2021 at 3:12 PM, strobogo said:

The real cynicism is how many of these wrestlers actually have personal relationships with Meltzer and will use him to leak out shit they want leaked out but then make a public show against him when they feel it works for whatever narrative at the time.

That's journalism though. Specially when your job is reporting on stuff people don't want to be public. Some sources will try to use you for their own agenda, leak you shit and talk off the record, and then act like your public enemy n°1 in public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I always understand the point Dave is making on audio, but then again I don't have an agenda. He's definitely not above criticism, but there are a lot of people who actively look for things to be angry about with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems Dave's biggest fault by far is that his meandering style of talking, while endearing to some, makes it extremely easy for bad faith actors and obsessives to take things out of context and/or cobble a narrative about him. Then that same meandering style makes it sound like he's hemming and hawing when he's trying to debunk what they say about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×