Loss

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Classic deadpan Meltzer. They are talking about some angle in NXT where Booker complained that the babyface was outsmarting the heels and how it's not fair.

Alvarez : "It's not fair to be intelligent ?"

Meltzer (without missing a beat) : "Not with Booker T. Haven't you noticed ?"

Had me rolling.

On 1/13/2023 at 2:45 PM, Jmare007 said:

Dave's reporting on Japanese wrestling has been iffy for as long as I've been paying attention (15 years or so).

But I didn't know there was a whole thing with Dragon Gate and now Bix wrote this:

Prominent Wrestling Journalist Dave Meltzer Accused Of Publishing Stories Based On False Information

Dave's coverage in Japan has been pretty much like his US coverage: have real connection in the main promotion(s) and kind of wing everything else. 

It seems pretty clear he has at least some connection in NJPW, and of course he obviously has Kenny who was a main event player for quite a while. I've heard enough Dave double entendre and hint to assume he has at least some communication with Gedo too. He sometimes speaks about NJPW booking with the confidence of someone who has a line to the booker directly. He'll often talk about what he thinks the long term plans are with the "I don't know for sure, but...." and then barring injury and/or shit happening it's exactly what happens. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's always the same losers who act like they don't give a fuck about Meltz and his awards but then spend 3 days ragetweeting about them, he lives rent-free in so many people's heads. Not to mention that his reporting of WWE stuff the last year or so has been totally accurate, despite so many attempts on Twitter to "own him". Imagine buying a ticket to watch Wrestlemania and carrying a sign about Dave Meltzer. 

Felt like he was mostly questioning the awards going to TK. But I think ultimately it was a weak year in those categories - WWE spend a large chunk of the year a trainwreck, and even if you give them some credit for business coming back, the booking wasn't exactly special. Felt like TK won on both fronts by being better than his major competition but he didn't have an "award worthy" year if that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually have no gripes with Meltzer, but he's been out to lunch on the Bloodline stuff. He's argument that Moxley is more important to AEWs business than Roman is to WWE is preposterous. As if Sami and Jey Uso would be moving the same numbers if Roman wasn't involved. Roman IS the Bloodline. Even when he isn't there, they spend the entire show talking about him.

On 3/10/2023 at 4:51 PM, NintendoLogic said:

It's the classic MVP debate. Does it go to the best player on the best team or the one with the biggest measurable impact on their team's success? You could make a strong argument for either guy, but AEW without Moxley would be in much worse shape than WWE without Roman.

I'm not sure if I would personally agree with that. Not saying that you're wrong but when I think about AEW, I don't think about Moxley first & foremost & when I think about WWE, I definitely think about Roman first.

AEW without Moxley right now still has several other people that they could build around. WWE without Roman right now is what? Kevin Owens & Drew McIntyre still? They have Cody now, I guess, but like without Roman they don't have any of the Uso/Sami stuff. Solo doesn't happen. AEW still has MJF, Hangman, Danielson, and I guess Jericho.

Moxley did definitely carry AEW for awhile, no question. And he was a good champion, too. Now I feel he's kind of moved down & is just bleeding.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, KawadaSmile said:

The state of this business

I think the reactions online are more revealing than Dave’s introspection here. The missing context that Dave’s regretting — and that the tweet thread here glosses over like it’s no big deal — is a pretty big part of how the narrative got so screwed up in this particular instance.

Everybody is so deferential by default to Meltzer that they can’t even trust the man himself when he admits he messed one up.

Dave made a massive massive mistake by leaving out the crucial part of the story where Punk was injured at that time and not cleared to wrestle and was asked to wrestle anyway. That makes TK look really bad and Meltzer absolutely fucked up by not reporting that part of the story. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...