Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure hoping those Jul-Sep numbers are amazing, unless Dave was being sarcastic in that boom comment. ;)

The latter, one of Dave's peeves last year was that people were saying the Punk angle would lead to another boom period when the business evidence suggested it wasn't.

And Jon, Dave learned that lesson many years ago from reading Sherdog forums. ;)

I don't think he did. I can remember reading the one he did for Konnan, but not Mysterio.

Konnan actually co-wrote his own bio, probably because Dave was so behind on these, and it was as hilarious as you'd expect when a man writes his own Hall of Fame bio. The first paragraph:

There’s a popular television commercial out these days for Dos Equis beer. It features, “the most interesting man in the world.” For the next few pages, you will find, if not the most interesting man in the world, a story about one of the most interesting lives in the world. This past fall, wrestler, booker, and announcer Charles Ashenoff (aka Carlos Espada) was elected into the 2009 class of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame.

Even though his induction was in September, we finally have our long- awaited Hall of Fame biography issue on Konnan. This biography was put together by Steve “Dr. Lucha” Sims and Konnan, both extensively looking back at their own records and memories in putting the piece, written by Sims, together.

Konnan and Sims were on F4D when the bio came out, and the process went like this: Sims wrote the thing up and submitted it to Konnan to get his thoughts. He corrected a few minor inaccuracies, but he took so long to get through it that Sims eventually said fuck it and submitted it to Dave. So not only did Konnan not co-write it, he hadn't even completely read it when it was published.

That reminded me of a great moment on the MLW podcast where Court Bauer was going on about booking old guys like Terry Funk and Abdullah who were really too broken down to be still working, seemingly forgetting for a moment his co-host is Konnan. Court related a story of seeing Terry Funk work a match then barely be able to move in the locker room, saying it's hard to book guys who don't listen to their body telling them to stop, finishing up with "isn't that right, Konnan?" It was Tim & Eric level uncomfortable comedy.

Also the bio was one of the most hilarious things ever written. Sims has been friends with him for what seems to be a long time now, yet he still comes off like a guy in awe he's pals with someone famous.

So they're going to be riffing off of the replacement ref issue in the NFL now with the Brad Maddox deal. Over/under on how many times Bryan needs this explained for him considering he's the king of "HEY GUYS DID I EVER TELL YOU I DON'T WATCH ANYTHING ON TV EXCEPT WRESTLING AND MMA?" . I'm guessing at least two, since Dave seems to be a fan (or at least is aware of what goes on) and Vinny's day job is a football writer.

I actually thought the Brian Maddox thing is one of the rare times that WWE has been able to play off something current and not have it be some kind of embarrassing spectacle like the Donald Trump vs Rosie O'Donnel debacle. Although "here in all her lesbionic fury" was an amusing line.

I actually thought the Brian Maddox thing is one of the rare times that WWE has been able to play off something current and not have it be some kind of embarrassing spectacle like the Donald Trump vs Rosie O'Donnel debacle. Although "here in all her lesbionic fury" was an amusing line.

Vickie Guerrero yelling at a chair a couple weeks ago before AJ showed up was a nice parody of Clint Eastwood doing the same at the RNC, IMO.