Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

A take down of Babinsak's latest shitastic review of a Shimmer DVD:

http://wallsofjerichoholic.blogspot.co.uk/...iew-my-dog.html

Please tweet this to Bryan or Dave if you are on Twitter. Enough is enough.

The 'Sack will never go away since he's friends with Bruno. Dave and Bryan have to know how horrible his reviews are and how pretty much everyone hates them, but they probably don't want to risk pissing off one of their best interview subjects by canning his gopher.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would not assume that Dave and Bryan think Babinsack's writing to be awful. This is a website that allowed Todd Martin and Dan Wahlers to write for them for years, and posts some absolute horseshit writing on a regular basis.

1) Esquire Interview with Breastaurant Hostess Nicole Bass (not that one):

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/...-chains-5999331

ESQ: Are there a lot of ex-Hooters employees there?

NB: Yeah, I used to work there.

ESQ: What's one of the things you like better about Twin Peaks, since you've worked at both?

NB: It's a lot more laid back. We don't have any side work, or opening duties, or closing duties, or anything.

ESQ: So you basically get to just hang out and be in a good mood.

NB: Yeah, pretty much. We just sit there, and talk to all of our tables, and make sure they're all having a good time.

ESQ: That's a pretty nice job. Has anyone on-staff seen Twin Peaks?Is it all an inside David Lynch joke?

NB: Wait, what do you mean?

ESQ: He had that show Twin Peaks, back in...

NB: Oh, oh yeah!

ESQ: So that doesn't have any affiliation with the restaurant.

NB: Yeah, none at all.

ESQ: It's just a catchy name.

NB: Yeah, most people don't even know that show. No one ever talks about it. That's why I was like, what?

ESQ: But people generally get the humor of a breastaurant named Twin Peaks.

NB: Yeah.

2) "Out of this world" is superior to "Small Wonder"

3) Of all the complaints to make about Babinsack, "he slightly objectifies the Shimmer women in his DVD reviews (which are really dated)" seems like a really weak complaint.

Which means he was 20 when he started the newsletter? Jesus, I'm 31 years old now. If you asked me my opinion of things now compared to ten years ago, I'd give you drastically different answers. I can't imagine what another 20 years of perspective will do.

Hell of a story. Can't imagine regularly working 110 hour weeks. He must be married to a saint.

110 hours / 7 days = 15.7 hours a day

I think a lot of Dave's life revolves around wrestling and wrestling friends. So talking on the phone to Bruce for 2 hours is "two hours of work", even if it's not exactly working despite them spending most of the call shooting the shit about pro wrestling.

Just going on past experience, and this was before Dave got married and had kids. Our calls were looooooooooong. I'm not sure if I'd call much of the time on them "work" for Dave. There would be times when I'd see a match from Japan before he did... but we were basically shooting the shit over it rather than Dave pumping me for a detailed description of the match.

So... I'd take the 110 with a grain of salt. :)

Which means he was 20 when he started the newsletter

His first issue was released in early 1983, with the 1982 awards. He was 23.

The earlier 1980 & 1981 awards weren't tied to any newsletter... and have the feel of "retro" awards the came out with the initial issue. :)

Guest Nell Santucci

That picture of his office is awesome. Kuddos to Meltzer for making a helluva living out of a niche interest like pro wrestling. I don't believe that he works 110 hours per week, but even if its half that, he still works his ass off.

Much of his "work" is probably spent on the phone and gathering sources. Still, 110 sounds like the most work he ever put in. But I can easily see him put in 80 or 90 hours per week.

Steve Gennarelli, yes. Without Meltzer's Observer, it's doubtful I'd be keeping up with the daily ongoings of the industry.

Guest Nell Santucci

Bryan seemed rather annoyed on his audio about Dave getting this big write up and all people cant talk about is his writing room.

The dirt worst thing Written about it:

http://wallsofjerichoholic.blogspot.ie/201...s-computer.html

I find envious turds like him to be some of the most annoying people in life. Seriously? And to think that the guy fucked up at that? It's true. Meltzer never said that it was over creative. He just said that the Rock left and didn't fly to Raw, and everyone else jumped the gun to say that it was over creative. That happens a lot to Meltzer anyway, so I feel very sorry for him in that sense. People always try to say he's wrong on x and y, but he merely reports on some x' and y' and people make up the x and y parts.

EDIT: I bet the guy who wrote that is the same Andrews who posted here - the idiot who decried Meltzer's bad writing and "irresponsibility" even though I can't think of a more falsely revered class of "professionals" than journalists (at least in the political arena). The content from NYT is largely garbage. No point in digressing. I made my case earlier in this thread. Like I said before, Meltzer is a saint in a field of scoundrels.

--Just a quick thanks to everyone who contacted me today regarding the New York Times story. Not sure what to say other than I was pretty thrilled with the Bret Hart and Frank Deford quotes. It was really great to hear from so many people that I've known for 20 years or more and how much everyone seemed to enjoy it. Story is here.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/sport...ep-it-real.html

--Just a quick note regarding the computer in the office. I've actually got five different computers here, two laptops and two flat screens. The one in the picture is the oldest one, the relic from the 90s.

Thank goodness

I've more amused at how hopelessly cluttered that room is.

After hearing him rustle papers during audio shows trying to find data on something, his office ended up pretty much exactly how I pictured it. It's amazing to think about how much history he probably has filed away in that room.

Guest TheGreatPuma

I would be shocked if he isn't one of that lucky handful of people that only need 4 hours of sleep a night.

A lot of this depends on the efficiency of the endocrine glands and your body's health. Also, what time you go to sleep at and the mental power/energy of the individual. Meltzer looks to have tonnes of that. Sleep is absolutely essential to living a happy life though it is true that once the body is healthy and truly working efficiently you need less of it. It's part luck if you were "given" strong genetics at birth but there's also a lot one can do health wise that would make the body run on less sleep.

The general rule is to sleep when the sun goes down and rise when it gets up. The same amount of hours done at an earlier time is more productive than the same amount of hours done at a time that is too late in the evening/morning.

I would be shocked if he isn't one of that lucky handful of people that only need 4 hours of sleep a night.

A lot of this depends on the efficiency of the endocrine glands and your body's health. Also, what time you go to sleep at and the mental power/energy of the individual. Meltzer looks to have tonnes of that. Sleep is absolutely essential to living a happy life though it is true that once the body is healthy and truly working efficiently you need less of it. It's part luck if you were "given" strong genetics at birth but there's also a lot one can do health wise that would make the body run on less sleep.

The general rule is to sleep when the sun goes down and rise when it gets up. The same amount of hours done at an earlier time is more productive than the same amount of hours done at a time that is too late in the evening/morning.

Welcome back.