Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rogan was on a serious ok lets drop the Pro Wrestling stuff kick last night. Before, during and after stating that it was all strictly hype.

Which I found refreshing and honest, and didn't effect my enjoyment of the fight one bit.

Dave, however is very upset that "kayfabe" was broken

:lol:

Honest to God, it's one thing for Koscheck to do a babyface turn on the crowd after losing.

It's another for Georges and Joe Rogan to be doing it.

It's really WCW level stupidity. Particularly in this specific case. With guys who do a little trash talking for fun it's one thing. But when you have something people believe in, and this was one particularly Koscheck because people really believed he was an asshole, and then the minute the fight is over, the announcer and the top star tell the fans who bought the show that it was fake, it's mind boggling they don't realize how if they keep doing it how it'll hurt future business. There were people who bought that show based on a premise and had their faces slapped for buying, just like the people who bought Survivor Series and the next day got the title change for free on TV.

Oh, Dave. No one cares. No one thinks "Well there's Koschek with his eye so swollen he looks like a Doctor Who alien after a masterful athletic performance and ass-kicking from St. Pierre, but I'm upset that the hype was fake."

Dave clears up the mystery of why he needs to use a VCR in 2010:

We have a DVR but my wife always tapes the late night shows on NBC so there is no chance of using that. Anyway, she did tape the K-1 show for me

Dave on the missing "Dr Death" Steve Williams obituary:

Honestly, I thought he'd get in the Hall of Fame so was waiting. I suspect he will this coming year so coming in September, maybe. It would be kind of silly now.

That might explain not doing it now, but did Dave seriously think he'd get in the Hall of Fame when he originally died? I think Dave commented when the results came in that he was surprised at how well Williams did in the voting.

I'm guessing there still are some dvr's out there that can only tape one show at one time.

John, about to watch the ManU-Gunners game that was taped at the same time as another show I wanted...

Mine tapes two, but the sheer volume of shit my girlfriend watches anymore is appaling.

I was thinking that marriage should come before work too.

Agree to that.

Second DVR isn't a bad way to go, though. I'm having a second one put in this weekend. Will be nice to be able to save up shows on one, and sports on the other. Sports in HD can eat up space fast.

John

I was thinking that marriage should come before work too.

Agree to that.

Second DVR isn't a bad way to go, though. I'm having a second one put in this weekend. Will be nice to be able to save up shows on one, and sports on the other. Sports in HD can eat up space fast.

John

For me, it's old movies (I'm a TCM junkie.).

Still a sports fan myself, of course, but I gave up trying to tape sports a long time ago. Gotta allow extra time in case overtime happens, games start late, etc. How do people succeed taping baseball games, or golf? Dave taping MMA seems a lot more do-able.

Listening to Wrestling Observer Radio. This gave me a chuckle:

"He (Mark Henry) carried Kurt Angle remember? How could you forget?" - Bryan Alvarez

"It was Kurt because if Mark Henry was in with a good worker, it would have been a great match." - Dave Meltzer

Of course, no-one ever said that Henry carried Kurt in that match and Henry had a great match on Smackdown around that time with Rey Mysterio, but whatever.

The criticism, generally speaking, was that Angle's formula was incompatible with Henry since he couldn't suplex him or do lots of ankle lock reversals with him, so he had nothing to fall back on. I'd have to watch it again to get a better idea.

Wasn't their other, later PPV match (where Angle left his wheelhouse and nearly killed himself attempting a rolling senton) relatively well received? Not great but perfectly fine.

Henry had very good to great matches with Goldberg a few years early and Rey Mysterio (several times) and The Undertaker around the same time as the Angle match.

Since we're off about Henry now, I thought I would put my comment from another forum about who I like better, Mark Henry or Davey Richards:

I am going with Henry. Davey is way too busy trying to be cool with his intensity and craziness -- he's so "tough". But there's something about him that smacks of just trying too hard, and his matches tend to bore me.

Henry actually seems to have a good time out there. He's not shooting for a 5* classic everytime he works. He just plays his character and manages to get the crowd behind him. I started liking Henry in later 2008 when I began watching ECW. He and Matt were feuding a lot back then, and Henry knew how to play the monster while still letting the other guy get over.

It's never a team effort with Davey -- he's all about getting himself over, no matter what he has to do. In some ways, I feel the same about Jeff Hardy, but there are times when I have liked Jeff (such as the Punk feud).