Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The writers' job is to write words for everyone to say, not to come up with ideas. That's always been my perception.

In reality that's correct given all the layers in the department and writing for the "audience of one". Largely day to day it is just writing copy.

Michael Haye's approach was just dictating to the writers what he wanted to see happen on Smackdown and the creative writer would just write it up for him for Submission..

Yeah, I read the Seau thing as "look, the deaths in wrestling aren't as bad as the NFL"... as if that somehow proves there isn't a problem.

Sorry, but the opposite is true. He brings up other sports to argue against those who say there aren't problems in wrestling. He's mentioned the 1994 Chargers in the past as an example of the dangers of steroid use.

I don't really understand why they even have their creative staff. All their big stuff gets done by a very small group of people. It's obvious they don't trust the creative team with the really big stuff. Like does anyone even know who originally came up with the Nexus idea? I never heard that even get reported. And almost nobody knew that was going to happen before it did. Don't know why they just don't have those few people book, along with input from the talent themselves. But then I guess you wouldn't have anyone to come up backstage skits like Paul Bearer being stuffed into a freezer.

They have a pair of two hour shows a week to fill with entertainment. A weekly *one* hour tv show tends to have a good sized Writers Room which includes the Show Runner / Creator / Guru. Depending on the show, the Show Runner / Creator can hang onto the Big Stuff. I'm aware of at least one show where the Creator is a bit of an insecure jerkoff when it comes to jerking around some of the show's regular writers, while knowing he can't pull some of the same stuff with other more established writers.

Anyway, the WWE doesn't trust folks to go out there and wing shit anymore. Take the formatting that's shown in Cornette's MX book and jack it up to 2012 levels.

John

Yeah, I read the Seau thing as "look, the deaths in wrestling aren't as bad as the NFL"... as if that somehow proves there isn't a problem.

Sorry, but the opposite is true. He brings up other sports to argue against those who say there aren't problems in wrestling. He's mentioned the 1994 Chargers in the past as an example of the dangers of steroid use.

There were 38 people scheduled to appear on the Wrestlemania card, including the four guys in the dark opener and the ten man tag that was crapped. There's 53 players on a football team. Simple math says that the problem in wrestling is still worse.

For those interested, taken from the Internet Wrestling Database, Meltzer's ratings for the big three from Extreme Rules (I'll spoiler tag them in case anybody with a sub wants to wait until they get the issue)

Sheamus/Bryan ****

Punk/Jericho ***1/2

Cena/Lesnar ****1/2

For those interested, taken from the Internet Wrestling Database, Meltzer's ratings for the big three from Extreme Rules (I'll spoiler tag them in case anybody with a sub wants to wait until they get the issue)

Sheamus/Bryan ****

Punk/Jericho ***1/2

Cena/Lesnar ****1/2

I don't really usually think in terms of star-ratings, but that's pretty much where I'd put them.

Am I going to suddenly start loving Davey Richards matches now?

Well, Brock was going to work a limited schedule, right? Not be on every PPV? So they needed an explanation to get him off tv. So him "quitting" and Paul being his mouth piece while he's off tv makes sense.

Right???

Posted Image

"Dave... if it works, it's my idea.

If it doesn't, it was that asshole

Kevin Dunn who made Vince do it."

Well, Brock was going to work a limited schedule, right? Not be on every PPV? So they needed an explanation to get him off tv. So him "quitting" and Paul being his mouth piece while he's off tv makes sense.

It's hard to say. I'm of the belief that if it happened on TV, then it is a work. So people talking about how it could be a shoot, I still don't see. But having John Cena beat Brock and then Brock just move on like it didn't matter and have John Cena move on to Lord Tensai and Johnny Ace (when I thought it was Punk that had the big problems with Ace) just seems like a lot of bad writing/booking. Which I suppose is nothing new for WWE.

Brock is supposed to be on a limited schedule and I imagine he'll work Triple H at Summerslam. Not entirely sure what part of RAW he was referencing but that's all that has happened the last couple of weeks.

I'm guessing Lance Storm just saw that Brock/Cena wasn't going to continue and then thought "OK, yeah, that's bad." But I obviously can't speak for him.

Lance said that his interest in the whole Brock deal had "dropped considerably", but didn't bother to explain why outside of the fact he's beyond bored with everything orbiting around the crooked authority figure (which is something I agree with, as I've said many times). I guess he didn't want to say anything that would make his rant from the other day look like crap.