Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

El-P

Members
  • Posts

    18681
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by El-P

  1. I don't think anyone who complained about Cena winning his very first match with Lesnar implied that he had to be just squashed like a bug then be squashed again... then be squashed again. And look like complete shit in the process. Which was basically how Ogawa vs Hash worked. One of the most depressing feud ever for a puro fan back then.
  2. I really don't share the enthousiasm. At this point Sting wasn't working that hard anymore, and I really don't care for the way he makes his comebacks, basically no-selling from nowhere. Sting's peak had already passed by, and he was not nearly as good as he was in 1992/93 (and I blame lazyness here as he was obviously as good mechanically as ever). This is a pretty good match, but very much my turn/your turn kind of match, and although Austin looks good, he's clearly not getting the amount of offense and respect he should at this point, as you never think Sting is really in danger of losing. Arn Anderson vs Randy Savage was a lot better than this, as were Savage's matches against Avalanche and of course the first Vader vs Hogan. I won't go further than "pretty good" on this one, which makes it disapointing to me (although I shouldn't be considering how I rate Sting at this point, he's just cruising)
  3. Renegade is just embarrassing on so many levels. Jimmy Hart too at this point, he serves no purpose except being the Jar Jar Bing of Hulkamania.
  4. Flair is still going insane and I enjoy it. Love the sharp editing on these videos too.
  5. These Blue Bloods vignette were pretty funny indeed.
  6. In other words, everything about this match is a tragedy.
  7. RF doesn't know the word editing. It's amazing how awful his videos still are to this day. Well, I would say getting old is cool (I sure hope I will get old eventually and not die at 40 or something), but losing your brain and your health is tragic indeed.
  8. For some reason, the last shot really highlights Eaton's forehead and... well, let's say it's an old-school forehead. Never noticed it before because of Eaton's hair.
  9. Hey, Rossy Ogawa and poor managment is the same sentence. Feels like 2001 again.
  10. If you believe (yeah, I know) the interviews from workers who toured with All Japan, Kawada isn't exactly the most personnable guy. Anyone mentionned Choshu vs Fujinami yet ? Damn Choshu was an abrasive bastard. And of course, Chiggy vs Dump. I mean, come on. Schoolgirl crying.
  11. Agreed. I'm most familiar with his MidSouth and AJ work (and his cup of coffee in WCW), and damn was he amazing to watch. The biggest waste of pure talent ever to fuck up his brain so young like that.
  12. Yastu had already dropped dramatically by 1989. I don't remember the exact year it happened but it was pretty sudden. Wasn't his prime 84/86 or so ? Yes, Jake's prime is MidSouth to me. He never put it together better than during his stint there. Everywhere else like you said, the promos and angles were strong, but the work in the ring didn't follow. Jake was great at doing the little things, but more than often he was doing *only* the only things, which makes it frustrating for me. In MidSouth he was still game in the ring, depsite always being limited. Hunter Hearst Helmsley 96/97. I know people are going to call me crazy on that one, but I thought he was a perfectly good midcard/upper midcard worker at this point, not trying to overdo or overthink his work, not trying to aim at so-called "classics" that failed 99% of the time. Stop it in 92 at best. After that Eaton was barely an afterthought in the company and wasn't given any opportunity to deliver big time. The Dangerous Alliance was Eaton's last big run, although he was clearly the jobber of the team. But yeah, 83/92 seems reasonnable. Not to say he wasn't still damn good post prime.
  13. This is awesome camp. The editing of Flair on offense is actually pretty great. I enjoy Falir going crazy more than I probably should.
  14. Holy shit this is pretty funny ! Sonny Onoo ! A fake French woman (and believe me, I heard her talk despite the voice over translation, she's not French !) who abstains (a way to surrender I guess) ! Ah ah ah !
  15. Al Snow was damn funny here I thought. You can hear the audience actually laugh at his joke about Robert Gibson. Jacobs is an ugly motha. (again a chain match ? Cornette was seriously going overboard with the gimmick matches)
  16. That was the first occurence of characterization that made no sense at all to me in SMW. I hadn't watched a classic Taker promo in litteraly ages, and wow, does it look corny as hell now. And totally out of place in SMW (we'll pretend Prince Kharis never happened).
  17. Kevin Sullivan vs Chris Benoit.
  18. Actually... -Victor Jovica -Bruiser Brody -Jose Gonzalez or something...
  19. Of course it was the WWF's fault, they sucked at presenting him and booking him in any way that would make him seem special or different. Plus Severn got there when the WWF got really fucking horrible really quick. I swear there was something to do with Severn so that he would be fun. A guy that can be fun as hell working Tarzan Goto in 1995 (well, Tarzan Goto is awesome mind you) in a sleezy japanese fed can't suck that bad. But yeah, he was a miscast in WWF anyway, they couldn't even book Ken Shamrock the right way, and he had the WWF body. I would have loved to see these guys thrown at Goldy. Well, loved is a big word as I never cared for Goldy one way or another, but as far as building a promotion around him and making it different from the competition, it would have been interesting to me.
  20. Revisiting older stuff (that I have seen or not) in context. I lightened up in my tastes during the GOAT poll, and I think I enjoy a much broader scale of wrestling now than I did 12 years ago when I had become a hardcore puro fan (in reaction to the Russoisation of WWF and WCW). I would love to get hook on a current product to feel the excitement of the unknown that I haven't felt since I stopped watching WWF & WCW, but all my attempts have failed (or should I say, WWE and TNA have failed in capturing me back) so far. It is just not working for me anymore. Wrestling seems to be something of the past to me. Thankfully (well, in a way), the past has never been so prevalent than in today's wrestling nerditude landscape.
  21. Used and presented the right way, I still believe Severn could have been awesome. Dan Severn vs Tarzan Goto from the IWA Death Mtach Tournament for the NWA title remains one of my all time favourite match in term of pure fun. Plus Severn could have been good on the mic in a very menacing low-key character (his shoot interview is actually pretty awesome and shows how much character the guy really has). He just had to be directed the right way.
  22. Was there a reason to rob the people from the DWB vs Jerry Lawler and vs Buddy Landell that had been built for weeks on TV on SUnday Bloody Sunday 1995 ? The end result was rather lame (I won't spoil it for whoever doens't want to know what actually happened). So, in other news, Candido is out, Billy Black is in. I really liked Billy Black in Korakuen Hall in 1990 or so, I'm not sure about him in SMW yet. Candido had a nice stint there, the promotion will miss him. Eddie Gilbert is out, and actually is dead at this point (hasn't been mentionned on TV while it was in ECW, but Eddie was a much bigger part of ECW so it's understandable) and Al Snow is in. Snow looks good in the ring thus far, and cuts good promos too. To damn bad he's settled with a green Glen Jacobs playing Unabomb, which really was a proto-Kane without the mask or the outfit. You see Cornette is trying to make him his own Undertaker/Sid, but Jacobs just doesn't have much charisma.
  23. 789. Blacktop Bully
  24. I agree with Loss, this match is probably my favourite TV match of the year too, and there hasn't been that much in the last 2 years on SMW TV (it's the major issue I have with the promotion at this point). Certainly the best Gangstas match I've seen, as New Jack looks pretty decent here. Tracey is excellent as the babyface in peril, he hasn't lost a step since he went single, and Scott looks better than I've ever seen him (not a big fan of the guy overall). Great run-in by Bullet Bob and great beatdown. And of course, yet another superb promo from Armstrong. I was tired of his feud with Cornette (although running through the entire promotion footage so quick does lead to burn outs that would maybe not happen normaly) but he's so damn good on the mic that he always finds a way to bring me back in to support him. Awesome line about the Good the Bad and the Ugly, yes, awesome line.
  25. New Jack Hustler motherfucka. Yeah, that video was all kinda offensive, as was Jack's promo.
×
×
  • Create New...