Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

I've been watching the 1990/1991 television for whatever reason lately. The Sgt. Slaughter angle might be the most tasteless thing a wrestling promotion has ever done. It just seemed to drag on forever and Slaughter got way too much mic time. I'm heading into the Rumble and he's talking about how he's going to be a hero in Iraq and stuff. And the worst part is, I know it's going to get worse once the Hogan/Slaughter feud starts.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching the 1990/1991 television for whatever reason lately. The Sgt. Slaughter angle might be the most tasteless thing a wrestling promotion has ever done. It just seemed to drag on forever and Slaughter got way too much mic time. I'm heading into the Rumble and he's talking about how he's going to be a hero in Iraq and stuff. And the worst part is, I know it's going to get worse once the Hogan/Slaughter feud starts.

Did Slaughter even draw as the top heel? I remember even as a kid not caring at all about his feud and being much more engrossed in the Savage-Warrior storyline.

it felt like "same old, same old" for me with Hogan fighting against the evil foreign force (technically not but..). 1991 sees the transition to a more adult themed product to a degree so I remember it fondly. 1990 WWF is painfully dull until around Survivor Series 90 when it picks up slightly

Today's dose of irony: Punk getting heat for getting into a verbal fight with a ringside fan in Australia and calling him a homo. Meanwhile he shaved his beard and kept the mustache that along with his current hairstyle makes him look a lot like Freddie Mercury circa 1984.

Did Slaughter even draw as the top heel? I remember even as a kid not caring at all about his feud and being much more engrossed in the Savage-Warrior storyline.

I think Wrestlemania VII did decent numbers. It's hard to say as it's a really weird time for the WWF. There were a ton of guys left from the late 80s on the roster that were just kind of useless by this point. They've been going over the guys in the 91 Rumble and probably about 22 of those guys will be gone by the time 1993 starts.

I think Wrestlemania VII did decent numbers. It's hard to say as it's a really weird time for the WWF. There were a ton of guys left from the late 80s on the roster that were just kind of useless by this point. They've been going over the guys in the 91 Rumble and probably about 22 of those guys will be gone by the time 1993 starts.

I remember in an "Ask the Torch" column someone asked where Gorilla got off saying, during the live PPV, that WrestleMania VII was the most-watched PPV in history. Wade said the actual numbers were among the lowest at the time and that there's no way they could tell during a live card how many people ordered it yet.

I remember in an "Ask the Torch" column someone asked where Gorilla got off saying, during the live PPV, that WrestleMania VII was the most-watched PPV in history. Wade said the actual numbers were among the lowest at the time and that there's no way they could tell during a live card how many people ordered it yet.

Gorilla: "Standing room crowd tonight in the Garden!"

*two minutes late a shot that clearly shows quite a few empty seats around the Garden*

John

*two minutes late a shot that clearly shows quite a few empty seats around the Garden*

John

But people were LITERALLY hanging from the rafters!

The Slaughter stuff is tough to get through because they just had him plastered all over television. He's getting 1 or 2 promos a week on Superstars and a match or promo on Wrestling Challenge. And they're mixing it up with special interviews and even more crap like that. It really wouldn't be so bad if they weren't cramming it down people's throats.

It's also weird, in hindsight, that he won the WWF Title. He really feels like a side note to the Savage/Warrior stuff going on heading into the Rumble.

Also, heading into the Rumble. Dusty seems to have said "fuck it" and he's wearing less polka dots and cutting more NWA style promos. He's actually been cutting some fucking great promos heading into the Rumble. They really stand out because they come off as real when surrounded by all of the other cartoon bullshit the other wrestlers are spouting.

Quick question: what's the difference between the "ace" of a Japanese promotion and the top babyface of an American one?

For example, what's the difference between Jumbo in 80s All Japan and Hogan in 80s WWF?

I've just seen the term "ace" bandied about and wondered about that.

Similar thing. Ace, Franchise, Anchor, The Top Face.

Bruno was the Ace of the WWWF... then Pedro... then Bruno... then Bob... then Hogan... then things get fuzzy after he leaves in 1992 after Mania. Vince had problems coming up with an ace. Hart was sort of by default (usually getting the belt by default in a sense). Shawn was pushed as such in 1996, but one kind of saw how that went when he lost his smile. They didn't really have a clear ace until Austin beat Shawn at Mania. Messy after that around his injuries, but in a sense Austin was the ace when he was around until say early 2002 when he was aced-out. Trip sort of wedged himself into acedom, and one tries has the issues of trying to figure out how Brock, Angle, Batista and Cena fit in there. Real messy.

All Japan is a bit easier:

1972-83 Baba

1983-92 Jumbo

1993-00 Misawa

2000 Kobashi attempt

I'd say the transition from Baba to Jumbo kind of evolved in 1982-84 with various small things. It's perhaps too narrow to point to Jumbo winning the title of Rikidozan in 1983 as the point. There were various other things: Jumbo teaming with Tenryu in the 1983 Tag League, Jumbo winning the AWA Title in 2/84, and the Int'l Tag Title transitioning from Baba & Jumbo to Jumbo & Tenryu from May to Sep 1984. Baba kind of moved over into a Vice Chairman role, had his own feuds, bounced the PWF Title around with Hansen in a big feud, and got respect in the Tag League. But Jumbo was the Ace, and remained it until he went out in 10/92.

I typically point to the 5/93 TC defense over Hansen as Misawa becoming Ace. Winning it from Hansen in 8/92 wasn't it: Jumbo was still around and Misawa had yet to beat Jumbo in a TC match. Jumbo going out left a gap, but it wasn't obvious Misawa stepped instantly into it. Winning the Tag League by being Taue & Akiyama in the Final Match Of The Year wasn't very acey: Akiyama debuted *three* months earlier. :) Retaining the TC againt Taue in 2/93 wasn't acey: Misawa never lost to Taue to that point, and wouldn't for several more years. Then in Carny... he lost to the only two active TC holders on the roster: Gordy and Hansen... then to Hansen a second time in the Carny Final. Started to look like 8/92 was a fluke: he caught Hansen with a flukey knock out blow. Which to me made the 5/93 match the ace moment: with what would become *his* belts on the line, Misawa sucked it up and beat Hansen. 2-2 in their last four matches, but 2-0 when the belts were on the line > 0-2 in Carny. Misawa's ace wasn't completely unbeatable, but he had a tendancy to step up when his belts were on the line.

In 2000, it was pretty clear that Misawa was trying to transition Kobashi into being the ace. Gave him the TC and the major push at the top guy. Then they split... and he tried to continue it in NOAH. Kobashi got hurt, and Misawa spent the rest of his life trying to create an ace. The closest he got was Kobashi's run, which was effective in making an aces, but (i) seemed always on borrowed time with Kobashi's mess of a body, and (ii) wasn't able to be used to create the future long term ace.

John

So was this Richards-Edwards ROH all that?

John

No. I was actually surprised by Dave's reaction to it. It wasn't even a "Good Davey Richards" match like the spotFU with Shingo or something that they only blew near the end like the KENTA match. As far as those kind of matches go, from this year, I'd say Nakajima/Suzuki 5/3 was the best.

So I rewatched Baba/Destroyer last night, and I still don't know what the ending is supposed to be. Baba gets the three-count, but the cowboy guys come in and complain that the count was too fast or something so the match gets restarted, then Destroyer locks in the figure-four and Baba appears to submit, but it turns out time ran out instead?

It's a 60:00 draw. Baba takes the first fall at 48:10, then it goes to a time limit. The Destroyer complains that there was more time on the clock, and Yohe always has joked that he was right: it didn't go 60:00 unless there was something edited out. :)

John

It's a 60:00 draw. Baba takes the first fall at 48:10, then it goes to a time limit. The Destroyer complains that there was more time on the clock, and Yohe always has joked that he was right: it didn't go 60:00 unless there was something edited out. :)

John

Considering that it's aired multiple times, seems seamless, is always missing exactly a minute, and a hypothetical missing minute being added would make Baba look better... they screwed up.

That's Yohe's joke: ref/time keeper screwed up.

I can't recall if we tracked the time counts one of the times we watched it, looking for 50 minutes gone / 55 minutes gone. Sounds like something we would do if having a good laugh at it. :)

John

Guest Slickster

John

I remember the line as 'largest PPV audience in the history of PPV,' which sounded like a clever way of saying 'more households have PPV now than ever before.'

In fact, I thought he said the line on TV leading up to the event.

It sounds impressive if you don't think about it.