Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope TNA goes out of business because I firmly believe it is ANTI-competition for Vince. That is to say I really believe that the shitiness of TNA leads to people excusing and/or not realizing just how bad most of the WWE writing and booking is. I seriously believe that NOTHING would be better than something in this instance.

I like this thought process a lot.

Is there a clear division (outside of the internet, probably) between fans of TNA and fans of WWE? Are there fans exclusively watching TNA and ignoring WWE? I do expect a certain percentage work it vice-versa.

If TNA doesn't have it's own exclusive fanbase of some signifigance, I agree completely with Dylan here.

Alvarez has been beating the drum for a while now that WWE is largely getting a pass for everything because TNA is there to set the bar for terrible wrestling impossibly high. His argument is that people would be ripping Vince/WWE left and right if they were the only game in town.

I don't completely disagree, but WWF was doing some awful stuff at times in 1999-2001 while WCW was at its very worst and was still getting called on it.

When Impact went head to head with the three hour draft edition of Raw last year, TNA drew a 0.5 rating, unopposed they usually draw in the 1.05-1.25 range, so it's safe to say a large proportion of their fan base are wrestling fans who are willing to watch wrestling more than once a week.

The biggest issue with TNA has always been that nobody in that company has a vision for what direction the company should go. It's either "relive the past" or be reactive to whatever decision WWE happens to make.

No doubt WWE is simply resting on its laurels, but it can afford to do so given its DVD division, WWE Classics on Demand and the fact that nobody else in the industry has any sort of vision for pro wrestling similar to what Vince McMahon saw back in the 1980s when he went into his aggressive expansion. It also doesn't help that TNA is the only other company with regular TV exposure and somebody willing to put money into it (even if those putting in the money are listening to all the wrong people).

ROH, for example, might have Sinclair Broadcasting helping out now, but if Sinclair isn't willing to put the money into the company and get people who have a vision beyond just appealing to a limited audience, then ROH will remain an indy fed... one that could be called successful, but will never be in a real position to challenge WWE or even TNA at this point.

Just listened to and enjoyed this:

review a wai - beyond the mat w/ barry blaustein 20jun11

John Pollock and Wai Ting review the 'Beyond the Mat' documentary and welcome producer Barry Blaustein for a one-hour chat.

http://lawradio.podbean.com/2011/06/20/rev...arry-blaustein/

Barry comes on at the 45min mark.

Roland Alexander thought Barry went out of is way to make him look fat.

Jake's daughter is married and is a practicing psychiatrist. Barry said she made a real success of herself.

Plus too many notes on who was and wasnt a dick to him when filming.

In fairness to Roland Alexander (did I really type that?), there is a scene where he's shot at a low angle with tuba music or something similar dubbed in on the soundtrack. Blaustein was definitely trying to play it up.

I don't completely disagree, but WWF was doing some awful stuff at times in 1999-2001 while WCW was at its very worst and was still getting called on it.

That awful shit was over and drawing big ratings. Today's awful shit, not so much.

But, really, the problem isn't the TV-PG rating. All PG eliminates is profanity, sex and excessive violence (ie blood).

The problem is that the company interpret a "PG" show as being excessively infantile. You can make intelligent programming for adults on a PG-rating. Now, granted, even when "wrestling grew up" it was sophomoric at best, but you can't put the shit purely on the rating and/or sponsors.

End of semi-related segue...

In fairness to Roland Alexander (did I really type that?), there is a scene where he's shot at a low angle with tuba music or something similar dubbed in on the soundtrack. Blaustein was definitely trying to play it up.

Oh yeah the Citizen Kane type shot walking into the WWF arena. But in Barry's defence in that scene and the scene in the office with Roland giving the sales spiel to the two prospective trainees Roland is wearing very tight t-shirts.

I went ahead and watched the movie itself. Never noticed seeing/hearing during the Puke scene JR standing in the corner gleefully wishing that Gerald was there. As for those who dont know Gerry Briscoe was a legendary gag reflex and a very weak stomach which he gets ribbed about all the time.

So it's come out that the "Power to the People" voting for RAW the other night got screwed up somehow and a few wrong choices were listed as winners. Sin Cara actually got voted to wrestle Bourne, not Mason Ryan. And the stip for Dolph/Kofi was supposed to be no Vickie, not 2/3 falls.

I'm not so much surprised it happened. Seriously, besides his mother, who would ever vote to in favor of watching Mason Ryan wrestle at this point? But I'm a bit surprised that it happened to the 'E. This is something that seems taylor made to blow up in TNA's face.

So it's come out that the "Power to the People" voting for RAW the other night got screwed up somehow and a few wrong choices were listed as winners. Sin Cara actually got voted to wrestle Bourne, not Mason Ryan. And the stip for Dolph/Kofi was supposed to be no Vickie, not 2/3 falls.

I'm not so much surprised it happened. Seriously, besides his mother, who would ever vote to in favor of watching Mason Ryan wrestle at this point? But I'm a bit surprised that it happened to the 'E. This is something that seems taylor made to blow up in TNA's face.

Outside of the weirdness of Mason Ryan, nothing else stunk. Nobody noticed.

Don't forget that it was immediately followed by the fans allegedly voting for an Arm-Wrestling contest, as opposed to an actual match. By that point, I was practically certain that the WWE was just rigging the vote and stealing everyone's text money in a case of blatant fraud. Following that with the fans not voting for "ban Vickie from ringside", and it looked more and more likely. This new info about the voting being fucked up actually makes more sense than anything else I saw on Monday night.

Don't forget that it was immediately followed by the fans allegedly voting for an Arm-Wrestling contest, as opposed to an actual match. By that point, I was practically certain that the WWE was just rigging the vote and stealing everyone's text money in a case of blatant fraud. Following that with the fans not voting for "ban Vickie from ringside", and it looked more and more likely. This new info about the voting being fucked up actually makes more sense than anything else I saw on Monday night.

They were standard rate texts. WWE didn't get a dime.

Seeing the WWE in full panic mode is morbidly amusing. On the one hand, they're blowing through every ratings-popping gimmick at their disposal at a ridiculous clip. On the other hand, they're doubling down on Cena and Orton as the untouchable centerpieces of their respective shows. Vince must be praying for a long NFL lockout, because if they have to go up against Monday Night Football in their current state, they'll be in a world of shit.

It seems like they always do a lot of gimmick shows during the summer because that's when USA wants the three-hour shows. I don't think they're really panicking, probably more of a case of the writers relying on some gimmicks to get through all of the TV that they're producing now.

Jim Ross announced that the WWE is planning on releasing a DVD based on the Montreal Screwjob later this year. Both Shawn and Bret have signed off on participating.

As we all need another DVD copy of the WM12 Iron Man match. :lol: